Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Are you cheap? Where do you cut corners?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Are you cheap? Where do you cut corners?  (Read 2891 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »

For sure, you definitely want to feel satisfied, bu no matter if you're eating out or at home, you eat your food and it's gone. Sometimes there are leftovers, sometimes there are not. There are always dishes to do though, if you make it yourself. To me, the allure of eating out is you get to eat something you weren't going to make at home and you don't have to clean it up.

Regarding wine, you don't need to spend more than that, unless you're buying it in the country it was fermented. When my girlfriend went to Italy she brought me back a nice bottle of Chianti that I think was about $60.

I do think that you can get a different experience for more money though. I, for example, hate Gin. However, I like Hendricks Gin a lot because they ferment differently than other Gin. It costs about $35 a bottle, which is about $15 more than I'd like to spend on any liquor. Still, I'll do it for a special occasion.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 08:12:17 PM »

I wouldn't call it cheap but I am very aware of what I spend on groceries. I am constantly looking at price per ounce etc. and while I don't buy bulk at wholesale places I will spend more for a better value. Clothes I could care less about, not cheap I just don't care about brand names. And most of my games I bought on sale at game Stop or off EBAY. I consider myself very educated on EBAY prices for games, lol.

Everything's Eventual
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 08:15:08 PM »

Am I the only one here who uses one of these?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 08:27:25 PM »

Yes, I am cheap.  Thankfully most people in my profession are.

-I usually spend $1 on lunch.  I'll look around the grocery store and find something that's $1 and buy 5 of them for the week =p

-If I'm at a restaurant, I usually just get water.  I really HATE spending money on alcohol during dinner - if it's happy hour I might indulge.

-We just finished the hottest heat wave in recent memory and i refused to get the air conditioner in my car fixed.  Not paying for that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:18:44 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »

Yes, I am cheap.  Thankfully most people in my profession are.

-I usually spend $1 on lunch

-If I'm at a restaurant, I usually just get water.  I really HATE spending money on alcohol during dinner - if it's happy hour I might indulge.

-We just finished the hottest heat wave in recent memory and i refused to get the air conditioner in my car fixed.  Not paying for that.

You sound like a friend of mine.

As to that last point, aside from the cool air in the car, if the air conditioner isn't working it could mean other problems that are worth checking out for proper function of the car.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 11:20:03 PM »

Yes, I am cheap.  Thankfully most people in my profession are.

-I usually spend $1 on lunch

-If I'm at a restaurant, I usually just get water.  I really HATE spending money on alcohol during dinner - if it's happy hour I might indulge.

-We just finished the hottest heat wave in recent memory and i refused to get the air conditioner in my car fixed.  Not paying for that.

You sound like a friend of mine.

As to that last point, aside from the cool air in the car, if the air conditioner isn't working it could mean other problems that are worth checking out for proper function of the car.

I'm not sure, but it seems like it's out of freon due to a leak somewhere.  The fan works, it just only blows hot air.  Not sure.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 11:38:10 PM »

I use scissors LOL
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 11:45:55 PM »

Those are ok for quick jobs, but to be honest by the time it takes going over the same spot a bunch of times to get the weird spots it's quicker to just have shaved
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 03:24:48 AM »

Clothes, probably. I only buy new clothes when I think I need them and I whatever I do have, I pretty much wear down to the thread.

Me too. There's some stuff I've had since I was 13 or so (I kinda failed at the whole growing thing...) that still fits, is in pretty good condition and isn't childish enough to hand down. Though I wouldn't mind spending some cash on a new swimsuit. I've had this one for ten years now and I'm getting kinda sick of the raspberry red. But I bet it will be a few years before I find a proper replacement. The store in town doesn't even stock my size anymore...

There are some things I am determined to never cut corners on- for example, shoes. I will gladly spend a lot of money on a sturdy, comfortable pair of shoes. Because I have pretty feet (and I love them)! :D

I do a lot of walking, so I also prefer shoes that are comfortable and look good! But I nearly always wait for a sale. I don't want to pay 100 for a 100 pair of shoes, I want to pay 25 :D
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 06:28:45 AM »

Those are ok for quick jobs, but to be honest by the time it takes going over the same spot a bunch of times to get the weird spots it's quicker to just have shaved

It's cheaper in the long run though, the blades last for very long and you don't need shave foam, after you buy it you're set for a very long time.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »

I do a lot of walking, so I also prefer shoes that are comfortable and look good! But I nearly always wait for a sale. I don't want to pay 100 for a 100 pair of shoes, I want to pay 25 :D

Yes! My sister and I like to wait for the big sales in London to go shopping for comfortable designer shoes. Right now I need to get a new pair of boots for the autumn and winter because I've worn out my old pair pretty well. Loved 'em to bits but I guess I've gotta say goodbye sometime. :-/

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 11:54:47 AM »

I hate those.

Also I look like a hobo with a beard, so I'm down to face scratching as well.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 12:06:58 PM »

I use barber clippers myself, never been much of a razor guy.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »

Razor blades. They are damn expensive so I make them last way longer than is comfortable. When I feel my face ripping apart is when I finally go buy new ones.

I used to do the same thing, because I got really fucking tired of having to buy Mach 3 blades once a month.  But then I got tired of feeling like I was shaving with a fucking cheese grater too. :P  I decided to buy a safety razor online and go old school with it.  It costs more up front, but you'll make up the difference within a year.

I've been meaning to buy a safety or straight razor for awhile but then I went the cheapest route of all: I just stopped shaving.

I'm not cheap by a long shot I wish I was because then I would have some money. Essentially if I see something I want I buy it, unless it's something useful like clothes or a new pair of glasses. I haven't bought new clothes in about 3 years and my glasses are going on 7 years now. I just hate clothes shopping and my glasses were $500 so I figured I should get my money out of them.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 10:44:19 AM »

I eat two meals a day at most,  unless I have stuff that goes on all day (like a full day's surgery), in which case I require three meals. Generally though, I have a small breakfast and a huge lunch, which I just kind of digest until I go to sleep. Some days I don't even eat breakfast, just lunch. This habit led to one of my ex-girlfriends' nicknaming me "Camel," which I resented greatly.

I also only drink water, never juice or soda. I purify water and boil it every day so I have some to drink at any time. Though, this is also made up by the fact that I drink alcohol viciously at least once a month and kill my wallet in one night.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: