Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 08:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329226 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Good Booze Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Good Booze Thread  (Read 1873 times)
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »

I'm a bit of a beer geek/snob, and tend to be discerning when I drink (unless I'm with my filthy, base relatives, in which I tend to drink ::shudder:: Miller Lite). So I figured I'd find out what your tastes are in boozeahol - beer, wine, sake, hard liquor, etc.

For beer, some of my favorite breweries are Dogfish Head (90 minute is one of my favorite beers ever!), and Weyerbacher (their Heresy was quite good). But the best beer I've ever had was a braggot called Old Danish. Had a bottle for $20 at the Sunset Grill in Boston (which also had the biggest beer selection I've ever seen!) and I immediately fell in love. I tend to like the heavier beers, especially ones that fall on the "mead" side of the equation, or those brewed in brandy casks/mixed with brandy.

Post, pilgrim!

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »

For the most part I only drink beer. I like my beers to taste like beers, but I wouldn't say I'm up on different types of beer and what not. I hate light beers and all that Bud/Miller crap. Recent beers I've liked were Brooklyn's Summer Ale, and Sam Adams' Blackberry Wheat Beer. I also really like Magic Hat #9.

As far as liquor goes, I pretty much only drink rum, and the only rum I drink is a Haitian rum called Rhum Barbancourt. Anyone who likes rum and can find a place to get it needs to right now. It's the smoothest, tastiest rum I've ever had.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:36:10 PM »

*Pabst Blue Ribbon.  The blue ribbon means it wins awards!

*see Are You Cheap? thread

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »

Actually, PBR on tap is not that bad. If I'm drinking on the cheap, I'll go with a PBR, on tap or not,

Really, I like all types of beers, but it depends on who is brewing them. Dogfish Head makes decent beer, but the prices they charge are pretty ridiculous. I've had much better beers for cheaper. Right now I have two favorite IPAs: Odells IPA and Brew Free or Die by the 21st amendment brewing company.

I also really, really like the New Belgium brewing company out of Colorado. Unfortunately, they do not distribute to the east coast. Try the Mighty Arrow, 14 Below, or the Ranger IPA as they are all quality. Their flagship beer, Fat Tire, is not very good in my opinion.

Another good Colorado brewery is the Left Hand Brewing Company. I really like two of their beers: Sawtooth Ale and the Milk Stout. I actually went on a beer tour one day and stopped by here. It was awesome. I tried 30 different beers that day.

As far as wines go, I'm less picky. I like Pinot Noir generally. I'll go with white or a blush wine if it will compliment the meal. Otherwise it's always red.

I don't drink liquor as much, but I do have my preferences. I like Tequila. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any decent tequila in the city. Unless the bottle says it's 100% agave, it's actually vodka flavored to be like tequila. My favorite brand is 30-30, which, like my favorite beers, you can't find in NYC. Stupid.

I also like spiced rum and whiskey, but I don't often purchase them.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:35 PM »

I just spent a ton of money on Finger Lake, NY wine. Their reds are getting awesome there.

This place has awesome wine, and everything is very cheap. He's some hippie wine expert who totally rules
http://www.keukaoverlook.com/

Probably the best winery in the Finger Lakes region:
http://www.drfrankwines.com/

Beer = Goose Island, not the store stuff so much, but the small batch stuff they sell on draught at the brew pub.

I also love just about any of the "major" micro-breweries mentioned already.

I love great bourbon from Kentucky. I'm not really tied to any brands, but Maker's is tasty and not a bad value.

*Pabst Blue Ribbon.  The blue ribbon means it wins awards!

*see Are You Cheap? thread

let us drink

Right now I'm having one of these. Check out the fucking can.

There are so many good breweries in Wisconsin, Illinois, and around the Midwest it's unreal. But the one beer I wish I could get here is Yuengling.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »

You can't get Yeungling out there? I kind of thought they were bigger I guess. I've had my fill of Yeungling in NY and PA. Good stuff for sure.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:02:29 AM »

I don't drink much beer, but when I do I go with Sam Adams, Goose island, or leinenkugel. I've had some Summer Shandy in the fridge and that stuff rocks.

I drink wine pretty often, but am nowhere near knowledgeable or snobby about it. I know the kinds I like and stick with them. I'm not terribly fond of reds, except when it comes to food pairings. A good red just goes so well with steak. They also tend to give me headaches.
I'm mostly a fan of Rieslings, but will enjoy a decent Pinot Grigio. I also really like some German wines which I am not going to attempt to spell. I do not much like any sweet desert type wines, but my wife does so I drink them on occasion.
I enjoy going to Cost Plus World Market and picking out new wines/beers. This thread reminds me that I haven't been there in a while.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:55:27 AM »

I'm a Colorado native, so i'm a pretty big beer snob. The two best things about Colorado are the amount of good breweries and dispensaries here. In fact a lot of people refer to Colorado as the Napa Valley of beer.

Vanguard - New Beliguim and left hand are ok, if you want some good Colorado beers try Great Divide (Also, Sensei Phoenix you would love their Grand Cru, it's got a semi sweet mead like aftertaste and it's like 12%) I personally love their Hercules double IPA (11%) I'm in their tap room at least a couple times a week. or Avery brewery out of Boulder is a close second.

Personally, iv'e been into sour ales lately. I love the Duchesse De Bourgogne, it's about 15 bucks for a bomber but totally worth it.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/641/1745
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/158/65144
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 07:49:29 AM »

Great Divide is good, but I'm not blown away by it. I like their Titan IPA the most. Avery has been really hit or miss for me. I like their Old Jubilation they have in the winter.

The worst CO brewery I've had is Breckenridge. They can't seem to do anything right.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:10:53 AM »

If I see any of these I will order/buy immediately! In no particular order:

St. Sixtus
Orval
Liefmans Goudenband
Anchor Steam's Liberty Ale
Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Lindemans Framboise
Samuel Smith Winter Welcome
Fullers ESB

and I do like Samuel Adams which is much easier to find.

Everything's Eventual
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »

For beer I'm not super discerning but I have some I like, a local brewery Propeller is very good and has an awesome deal where you go and buy a jug from them and they fill it up when you walk in. I used to love walking around with a jug of beer. They make a really good IPA and I'm not big on most of them, where I'm from Nova Scotia most places like to think they need to sell IPA when they're just regular pale ale's and normally pretty weak at that. Keith's is the most popular around here and really as far as swill beer goes it's about the best of them and I drink it a lot when I go out because it's cheap and not terrible. Most brands I've tried make a decent White beer so that's a normal go-to for me when I'm out. Blonde is the new flavor of the month around here and I'm not a fan.

For liquors I stick with whiskey and drink Crown Royal almost exclusively, a local distillery called Glen Breton makes amazing whiskey but it's all very expensive but one Christmas I got a bottle of their Ice Whiskey which is a single malt whiskey aged in an ice wine cask and it was the most amazing thing I've every had.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 02:36:07 PM »

I live in Delaware so obviously Dogfish is very popular. I like beers that are so hoppy you can chew them best (I like the 120 minute from Dogfish for example) if I'm just having a beer. But if I'm at a baseball game or whatever I have no problem drinking a Bud Lite. Also if I am playing Wizard's Staff it is best to go with something watery like Miller Lite.

I've been drinking a ton of the Twin Lakes IPA this summer though - comes in green six packs and perfect for sitting outside with a brew. Something about summer says "beer in a can" to me.

For liquor I drink bourbon. I always keep a bottle of Booker's in the house, but for a Manhattan (pretty much the only mixed drink I do) I like Bulleit Rye.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:57:17 PM by dyeager » Logged
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 11:53:31 PM »

I was a Molson man for years and an Alexander Keith's man before that. Now that I'm older, I drink mostly Bud light now as it doesn't give me much of a headache the next morning. Once in a while I might treat myself to some Corona but not a lot. Kinda pricey around here. A dozen beer is now over $23 here in New Brunswick. Fucked up!  I should start driving to Quebec for my beer I think.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 07:19:37 AM »

Alcohol prices in the city are crazy stupid expensive. A 6-pack of anything decent is going to set you back at least $10, but probably more. Those 21st amendment beers I listed above? $14.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: