Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 12:16:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338025 Posts in 13841 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Konami: The Suikoden Team Has Been Disbanded, We Have Lost Our RPG Know-How
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Konami: The Suikoden Team Has Been Disbanded, We Have Lost Our RPG Know-How  (Read 10943 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 12:48:38 PM »

Kinda weird, but it looks like this is another J-RPG series thats biting the dust... already a bunch crossed off, and a whole bunch more in a "maybe" pile.

But yeah, if your last game is a shitty pinchako (or whatever) game, then it was kinda like slippery slope.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »

Why would you do that?

In an act of supreme generosity I thought I would allow another human to enjoy the brilliance of S2.

Alternatively, they go for about £80-£100 and I'd just completed my 4th playthrough collecting all 108 stars so I thought "better cash in before they put it on PSN". Apparently they've decided not to release it as a PS1 classic now...
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 01:29:09 PM »

Next Suikoden Project is sadly a pachislot machine

I have to admit that this doesn't look too bad for a slot machine.

Part of the problem with Silent Hill is that the new teams didn't really know how to capture the "feel" or the gameplay of the earlier games.

Nah, the problem is that outside of the team that did the first titles nobody understood what Silent Hill was about.

Is like what is happening with the new Devil May Cry that Ninja Theory is doing (we still have to see how that ends up being though).
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »

Well, the new DMC is still far from done, I'm not sold on it yet by any means and I hate the new Dantes design. Being modelled after one of the devs only makes it worse since they didn't exactly do him any favours when they adapted his look into the game. Too early to tell weather the game will suck, but its a bad start.

Silent Hill had three parts as far as I'm concerned, the rest are spin-offs.

Apart from the abysmal loading times, I'd say Suikoden V got the series back on track. Years ago, as the current consoles ware about to hit the market, I was really looking forward to the next generation of Suikoden games. Sadly, they never came, and it looks like they wont any time soon, if ever at all.
As I said before, I'm actually putting a lot of hope and faith in indie fan games now, because its probably the closest we're going to get to a decent Suikoden title any time soon.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »

what the fuck is going on in japan that so many jrpg franchises have died? this is starting to seem like more of a japan problem than an america problem

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 10:45:44 PM »

what the fuck is going on in japan that so many jrpg franchises have died? this is starting to seem like more of a japan problem than an america problem

Why would it be an America problem? Maybe Japanese developers are tired of old hat genres?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 11:14:43 PM »

So I was fucking around in Play-Asia and for some reason that I don't even remember right now I found this:

Irem resurrects April Fool's Day Suikoden game as actual PSP release
Dokidoki Suikoden has Touch Events
DokuSui: DokiDoki Suikoden Trailer

What the shit.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 06:16:16 AM »

Why would it be an America problem? Maybe Japanese developers are tired of old hat genres?

Japanese devs should stop making excuses about the hardware and stuff. I mean, Tri-Ace has released if I'm not mistaken 3 games, even including a different publisher and while they don't look like FFXIII they all look good enough.

So I was fucking around in Play-Asia and for some reason that I don't even remember right now I found this:

Irem resurrects April Fool's Day Suikoden game as actual PSP release
Dokidoki Suikoden has Touch Events
DokuSui: DokiDoki Suikoden Trailer

What the shit.

I wonder what makes this game Cero D ? Do these girls by any chance hit each other in the head with their rackets or curse at each other ?
Maybe it will go the Queen's Blade route...

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:11 AM »

I wonder what makes this game Cero D ?

it's a parodies those love sim games... Maybe you're supposed to have sex with all 108 of them to get the happy ending? Or would that be 108 happy endings?
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 08:36:21 AM »

Or maybe 100 happy, 4 faked happy, 2 OK and 2 simply bad!

Everything's Eventual
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 12:22:53 PM »

I wonder what makes this game Cero D ?

it's a parodies those love sim games... Maybe you're supposed to have sex with all 108 of them to get the happy ending? Or would that be 108 happy endings?

I believe there is lot's of clothing damage involved and things like that.  Andriasang actually covered the game a lot so you can go over there for details.  The concept was initially an April Fool's joke, but then at some point some crazy bastard decided to turn it into an actual game...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:24:59 PM by Kevadu » Logged

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »

99 happy, 4 faked happy, 2 OK, 2 simply bad and 1 I swear I didn't know that was a dude!
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 02:36:11 PM »

By and large, the games don't sell in Japan either.

During the PSOne era, there was much incentive to make JRPGs because any decent title had a good shot at selling 500,000 units (Square in particular was so successful that the aim for any new RPG was a million units). Nowadays though, developers are celebrating if they hit the 100,000 mark, and even on handheld, production costs are significantly higher than they were for PS1.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 03:10:01 PM »

During the PSOne era, there was much incentive to make JRPGs because any decent title had a good shot at selling 500,000 units (Square in particular was so successful that the aim for any new RPG was a million units).

Um...that was never true.  The big players like Square aside, RPGs from smaller developers didn't sell any better back then than they do now.  The biggest problem is that development costs have risen while sales have been flat.

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »

It's a worldwide problem. Because ironically as tech advances the world economy seems to keep getting worse. Making any sort of more niche title is now one huge risk because development costs keeping getting higher, and if the publishers don't think they can make enough money off a game they simply wont publish it. Like everything else in this world our hobby is run by the almighty dollar. Game publishers (most of them) don't care about the fans anymore, the developers might but the publishers don't just look at Capcom, EA, Nintendo, Activision, THQ and I'm sure others. They don't care about what we want they just want our money.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: