Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:43:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334718 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Zelda 25th Anniversary website is up and running, what's a Metroid?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Zelda 25th Anniversary website is up and running, what's a Metroid?  (Read 2312 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:03:10 AM »

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda25th/

This is cool and all that, but...

Metroid 25th anniversary |OT| Gaf does what Nintendon't
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »

No kidding. Metroid REALLY needs some love these days, especially handheld love.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »

Both awesome franchises. I grew up with these games, but didn't really catch the bug until my SNES days. That's when I fell in love with both Zelda and Metroid. Ocarina of Time was the first game I ever pre-ordered. Funny thing is that I got so hyped for it that, despite being a great game, it failed to live up to my expectations. When they said the world was so huge it took a whole day to traverse it, I really thought they meant 24 hours. It was somewhat true, it did take a day. Problem being, that it was an in game day which only lasted a few minutes of real time. I still loved it, but it was nothing like i imagined it would be. Metroid Prime was a different story. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I was leaning towards a generic FPS in the Metroid universe. I managed to snag the Trilogy edition for a good price. Gave it a quick play, wasn't really that impressed, and then planted it on my waiting list while I went about finishing other games. When I finally got around to playing more than a few minutes, I realised why this game got so much praise. It suddenly dawned on me that I wasn't playing an FPS with a Metroid setting. I was playing a real deal Metroid game from an FPS POV. I still have not finished the first one because the game is huge and I like to take my time and explore everything to find all the hidden goodies. But now, just the thought that I still have two more Primes waiting for me on the same disk makes me as giddy as a litte girl at a Barbie doll expo. I've heard some less than flattering opinions about Other M, but I still intend to buy and beat it. Same goes for Twilight Princess, and I really like what I've seen of Skyward Sword so far. Over the years, I started to lose interest in Nintendo. But as long as these titles live, the big N's dot won't vanish from my radar.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:59:12 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:16:29 PM »

Metroid: Other M - The Elephant in the Room

In where we discover that Yoshio Sakamoto has serious problem in his little head.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »

For the 25th anniversary, the Zelda collectors edition will consist of that GCN Zelda collection disk (not the OoT/MQ pre-order bonus that Windwaker came with, and also no bug fixes for games like Majora's Mask) a letter from Zelda, an 8 page artbook/developer interview book that'll get leaked long before the game hits the shelves, and at least two limited print runs.

On the upside, it'll have a decent box.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »

For the 25th anniversary, the Zelda collectors edition will consist of that GCN Zelda collection disk (not the OoT/MQ pre-order bonus that Windwaker came with, and also no bug fixes for games like Majora's Mask) a letter from Zelda, an 8 page artbook/developer interview book that'll get leaked long before the game hits the shelves, and at least two limited print runs.

On the upside, it'll have a decent box.

I get the feeling you're not too impressed with this package.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »

In where we discover that Yoshio Sakamoto has serious problem in his little head.
Yeah, a writer he is not. Let's just hope it's the result of a shitty writing ability and not misogyny.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 12:00:35 AM »

Yeah, a writer he is not. Let's just hope it's the result of a shitty writing ability and not misogyny.

I imagine if he were truly misogynist Samus wouldn't have been female in the first place. Probably is a case of where he likes the idea of a strong, well developed female character but can't actually write one without making her look bad.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 07:06:27 AM »

I imagine if he were truly misogynist Samus wouldn't have been female in the first place. Probably is a case of where he likes the idea of a strong, well developed female character but can't actually write one without making her look bad.

And the final possibility...

Bureaucracy ruins everything. Even though Sakamoto is credited as the lead writer, often group mentalities, rushed timelines, and conflicting internal pressures result in strange decisions that really noone intended. Just look at Final Fantasy XIII. I refuse to believe that ANYONE in the FF13 team was happy with what came out of the story in that game... but it happened. I suspect that Other M was also a victim of bad group decision making. What was brought to the table as an interesting analogy to motherhood (which was done well in Aliens with Ripley and Newt), got completely blown out of proportion before anyone could really stop it. What was supposed to be an emotional flashback into Samus's traumatic childhood became a gross deprecation of her present character. What was supposed to be a complex, but ultimately positive father/daughter relationship ended up being pounded into a cold, abusive one. It's hard for me to believe that when the team stepped back to finally look at this as a whole, that they were happy with what they had done. This wreaks of the common mistakes that get made in badly managed team decision making. This accounts for a good 95% of all bad storytelling in movies/games.

It's hard for me to really, truly think of Sakamoto, individually, as a outwardly misogynistic asshole, or a complete hack... no one person would create a story that full of problems. More likely, it paints the picture of a director with very bad management skills who didn't have the ability to rally his team around a centrally cohesive idea, get them on the same track, and inspire them to use good judgement. This is not to diminish his blame... HE FUCKED UP, BIG TIME... but I would suspect that for different reasons than most are giving.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: