Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 04:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341303 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Loose ends... the games we have not finished and should we?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Loose ends... the games we have not finished and should we?  (Read 7299 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 05:21:38 PM »

Right now, nothing. I just finished Limbo and Catherine. Right now there's no current gen game that I have bought and haven't completed yet. As for the PS2, I completed every game that I thought was worth completing, there are some that I started but didn't finish but I know I wont get back to them so I got rid of them. So I guess I've moved on and don't care about anything released prior to this gen anymore. There are some great games from the 16 bit era that I missed but I don't see myself going back to something that old. The only really old game that I only played recently for the first time and actually finished was Yoshi's Island, a timeless masterpiece no doubt.

So I guess I'm ready to tackle the onslaught of great games that is approaching without those pesky unfinished games calling for my attention in the back of my mind. One of the things that really suck about stopping halfway through a game and then picking it up again months later is that you really need to get yourself back into that mindset which can be really tough, you don't remember what's going on in the story and how to even play the fucking game so it becomes really hard to get back into it. You'll hardly end up enjoying a game if you do this. Besides if it didn't grab your attention the first time why should it a few months later? Might as well say fuck it and just move on to something else entirely.
I got bored of dragon age and stopped playing, if I went back to it now not only wouldn't I have the slightest clue about what's going on but I would be at a stage where the game expects me to know what I'm doing and I would get my ass kicked so hard that any motivation to get back into it would disappear right there.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lucky D

Email
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »

SMT : Nocturne - About halfway through, should really get back on it, but I'm sure you all know how that is.)
FFIX - Just got to disc 3 the other night. Plan on beating it pretty soon, honestly.
Xenogears - Haven't played in a while, almost feel like restarting it due to the heavy story.
999 - Got one ending in this last night, didn't turn out like I wanted, so I'm most definitely jumping back on it.
Chrono Cross - Still need to beat this, but I can't even recall where I left off.
Star Ocean 3 - Always loved this game, but I got spoiled a while back so I'm only really trying to beat it for the character specific endings.
Wild Arms 2 - Love this game, but its quite tedious.
Valkyria Chronicles - Haven't played too far in it, and the story doesnt grip me too hard, so its not too big of a priority.

And I'm sure I have others, I just can't think of them off the top of my head. Catherine sidetracked me from FFIX, but eh, it's 10x more up my alley than FFIX, so that's understandable. I suppose I'll deal with FFIX next and then move on. I need to stop starting games and then starting another midway through the other one. Hahah.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »

Far too many to list, and I keep snapping up old games when I can get them cheap. Recently, I'm making more progress than I used to, since I limit myself to one or two games at once. Before I would start lots of games and inevitably some would get left behind, leaving me with a big stockpile of saves only a few hours in. I also don't buy anything full price anymore unless I'm certain I'm going to start it soon after.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »

My only two big ones are Dragon Quest 8 and SMT: Nocturne.  Both are fantastic and I will play through them eventually.  I may start from the beginning.  Not sure.

Also need to finish Suikoden 2 as I started it and stopped midway through.  This isn't a big deal because I have beaten it before so I know what I'm missing.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »

Here's my opinion on the OP's list.

FF13 -- you're near the end. Just finish it. It's not that much more of a time commitment.
Ogre Battle Tactics -- uh... you mean Tactics Ogre? Yes.
Atelier Iris 2 -- depends on how much time you committed so far. I think it's a great game, but if you've only put in like 5 hours, meh, you may as well table it and start from the beginning again some other time.
Xenosaga 2 -- did you play/beat XS3? If yes, skip. If no, consider giving it a shot.
Valkyrie Chronicles -- yes.
Valkyrie Profile -- yes, unless your current save has screwed you from reaching the "A" Ending. In which case you should start over.
Eternal Sonata -- eh... maybe...? nah...
Dragon Age 2 -- I have no opinion as I know nothing about it.
Lunar Eternal Blue (Technically I already beat this one but it was the original on Sega Cd and tis the remake which has been left unfinished) -- play the remake start to finish, do the epilogue.

So what do you guys think? Which should be finished and which should be glazed over until there is truly nothing better to play?

[/quote]

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »

DQ8, FF10-2 and

Odin Sphere: between lag and cheap deaths I about lost my mind

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 02:01:09 AM »

I need to finish Digit Devil Saga. I think I'm going to move my PS2 into our extra room and play that there and let +1 watch tv.

PS2 games I have to play but am in no hurry.

okami, arellier iris 2, phantom brave, dq8 (i'm about 30 hour in i think), odin sphere, radiata stories, ys naphishtim, ff12
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 03:27:13 AM »

Click the image in my sig. I have somewhere around 70 games to still beat.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 01:15:38 PM »

Odin Sphere: between lag and cheap deaths I about lost my mind

Have you tried playing it on easy? At that difficulty is offers a fair challenge and it also takes care of part of the lag.

Anyway, my list of unfinished games is fairly short. When I start I aim for the finish. Usually.

Avalon Code - was enjoying this, didn't know how to code something, decided to look at a FAQ, never did... yeah, I don't really know how that happened either.
Saiyuki - died after nearly finished a long, drawn-out battle. Got my hands on something shiny (I think it was Tales of Eternia...) and started playing that instead.
Earthbound - lost my save about 3/4 through.
Super Mario RPG - played this the uhm... alternative way. Got stuck due to technical problem about halfway through. Then lost my save.
Lufia - lost my save.
White Knight Chronicles Origins - boring as heel piece of crap (despite having a really neat train).
Tales of Legendia - never finished the character quests because the amount of Shirley suddenly shot up after the 'final' battle.

Wein Cruz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »

Of the games I still own, the only ones I've yet to finish are....

Final Fantasy XII -- I had this game since November 2006 and I found myself quitting this game indefinitely and restarting (three times already).  Got to the Rhidorana Contract in early '09 and havent touched the game since.

Alundra -- bought this game during the summer of '08 and played it for a while then stopped because, admittedly, this game is brutally hard.  Though I blame most of it for it's somewhat poorly designed platforming elements.  You literally can't tell where you can jump and where you can't half the time. 

Dragon Age: Origins -- I admit, I probably just don't like this game as much as I wanted to.  Don't get me wrong, the story, characters, and setting are among the best I've seen in and RPG in a long time, and I wanted this to be one of the games that officially got me into WRPGs.   But the battle system is atrocious, and I feel like I have little or no real control over whether or not I win most of the battles in this game.  One time, my whole team will get wiped out before I even have a chance to react, and then another time, I'll win without having to heal more than once, even though I didn't make any real change to my strategy.  I'm tempted to skip this one and maybe play Dragon Age 2, since at least in that one, wheter I win or lose will be entirely because of my own skills and not some shoddy AI or twist of fate I have no control over.
darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »

I'll comment on the ones I can...

Klyde Chroma: Valkyrie Profile - I second Ramza about this, the C and B endings are terribly unsatisfying because they're incomplete
Klyde Chroma: whichever you meant between the three Tactics Ogres (including the remake) and the two Ogre Battles - yes, these games rock, especially their stories with the exception of Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen

several members: Final Fantasy IX - absolutely, I agree the gameplay/pacing is slow but IMO this has the best story of any videogame
several members: Chrono Cross - don't sweat it, the story crumbles later on and the gameplay becomes mostly too easy (there are a handful of hard bosses later like that big humanoid robot)
several members: Dragon Quest 8 - the story is very satisfying and the game is well-balanced/offers a good level of difficulty, but the repetitious normal battles and slow loading could bore, I say yes but I do see why others haven't finished it

Tomara: Saiyuki Journey West - yes, God yes, this is the most polished and professional game ever, hands down it must be finished
Tomara: Super Mario RPG - if you find a means to play it legally, definitely finish it

Wein Cruz: Final Fantasy 12 - you're so close, that you may as well finish it, the ending is very well done, if you weren't so close I'd say don't bother though

Jubby: Chrono Trigger, FFVI, and FFVII - yes, unless you've had things spoiled which I could see since these are all extremely popular games

Akanbe: Suikoden 2 - You lucky bastard ;) if you're not going to, please do us a favor and sell it :)

Yggdrasil: Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter - the ending/story is very satisfying as well as the feeling of achievement for having triumphed over something challenging, so yes
Yggdrasil: Final Fantasy Tactics - definitely because the story is great, and I don't see why not considering how the gameplay/battles start to go super-fast/easy once you spam the best classes/characters
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »

Tomara: Saiyuki Journey West - yes, God yes, this is the most polished and professional game ever, hands down it must be finished

Wait... seriously? I only heard bad and bad-ish things about this game. Please expound upon your opinion here.

Click the image in my sig. I have somewhere around 70 games to still beat.

Oh snap, Backloggery made embed-able signature crap. Time for me to get on that.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »

Oh snap, Backloggery made embed-able signature crap. Time for me to get on that.

Yeah, it's great. I think the code for it is in the options menu somewhere.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »

Strange Journey and Devil Survivor are my must-beats.

Also Suikoden 2.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 11:12:36 PM »

There are several games I'm not finished, have no intention to finish because I didn't enjoy them, including

Baldur's Gate
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
The Elder Scrolls: Arena
Class of Heroes
Fallout (I just ran out the in-game clock)

I think that pretty much covers it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: