Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 03:44:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327896 Posts in 13424 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Loose ends... the games we have not finished and should we?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Loose ends... the games we have not finished and should we?  (Read 6524 times)
Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 12:20:33 AM »

Mania Khemia 2 because the characters and plot were just unbearable.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 03:06:56 AM »

Tomara: Saiyuki Journey West - yes, God yes, this is the most polished and professional game ever, hands down it must be finished

Wait... seriously? I only heard bad and bad-ish things about this game. Please expound upon your opinion here.

The few hours I played weren't great, but it seemed like an above avarage SRPG. Since I love SRPG, that should be enough reason for me to play it again eventually. I just don't know when. At the moment there's some other stuff I'd rather play. First I want to finish Wild Arms 5, Xenoblade could arrive any moment now, Jeanne d' Arc has been waiting way to long, Ogre Battle 64 is available on the VC and I've been wanting to play that since 2000...
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 06:21:59 AM »

DQ8, FF10-2 and

Odin Sphere: between lag and cheap deaths I about lost my mind

You want to know how I got through the cheap deaths? Action Replay!
I know, not the way youmwant to beat a game but the characters and artwork are so good that Infelt like I needed to see it through the end.
I beat it this year after postponing itnfor so long, so I say it's never late, especially if you cheat!

darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »

Basically, Saiyuki: Journey West shines in every way. I really can't think of a single flaw. Maybe, this will help though:

It doesn't allow each character to wield 1,000 abilities. FFT fans may cry foul, but Saiyuki: Journey West does a far better job balancing the abilities and characters as a result - namely, it avoids the player mindlessly spamming one or two best options that crush all/any who oppose. This is also part of why the difficulty level steadily rises over the game instead of becoming frantic and fucked up like FFT's difficulty. I could see an FFT fan dissing Saiyuki: Journey West for this, even though it's something Saiuki: Journey West did right and FFT did wrong.

The abilities are chosen by "equipping scrolls" instead of "changing classes," but semantics are insignificant. Calling the choice a "scroll" as opposed to a "class" doesn't change anything, yet I could still see FFT fans shouting "blasphemy!" from rooftops over this.

The story is easy to follow, but still engaging and (depending on whether one has read Journey to the West, of course) unpredictable. This is actually a good thing because complexity =/= quality, yet once again I could see FFT fans denouncing the game for the game's story being coherent and comprehendable through and through.

This is coming from someone who likes FFT a lot too (and it was my first SRPG), but I've seen so much stupid shit from FFT fans about how FFT is well-balanced compared to other SRPGs and how what something is called matters more than whether it is well-implemented/well-balanced that I've developed rather negative feelings toward nostlagia-blinded FFT fans. This, along with someone vehemently hating anything with reading in it, are the only two excuses for which I could see anyone saying bad things about Saiyuki: Journey West.

I can't really single out just one thing Saiyuki: Journey West did well since they did everything well: the gameplay, the story, the visuals, the sound, and how it all comes together beautifully. I dare say it's perfect.

edit: I agree with this review completely: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/480705-saiyuki-journey-west/reviews/review-45433
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:15:29 PM by darcthelad » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »

The abilities are chosen by "equipping scrolls" instead of "changing classes," but semantics are insignificant. Calling the choice a "scroll" as opposed to a "class" doesn't change anything, yet I could still see FFT fans shouting "blasphemy!" from rooftops over this.

Regarding these nefarious FFT fans that you slam like ... 6 times ... in your post ... methinks you've spent a fuck-ton of time on forums that aren't worth anyone's time.

In any case, though... "equipping scrolls" does sound quite different to me than "changing classes." In FFT, you start with some simple classes and you reach the more advanced ones by leveling up the simple classes. I'd like to ask you: where are the scrolls in Saiyuki coming from? Are they just released over time in battle? Is there a limited amount? Does one learn abilities over time with the scroll equipped, or do you immediately have all abilities associated with that scroll/class upon equipping? Are there miss-able scrolls? Are some of them a bitch to get?

You didn't sell me yet. I'm not willing to part with $6 until you give me more to work with.

darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 08:33:54 PM »

"I'd like to ask you: where are the scrolls in Saiyuki coming from? Are they just released over time in battle?"

Lots of places: regular shops, one-time-purchase-only shops, in treasure chests picked up during battles, hidden in destroyable environmental things like rocks, and the characters come with one or two pre-equipped already.

"Is there a limited amount?"

There are 40 total - 8 of each of the five elements.

"Does one learn abilities over time with the scroll equipped, or do you immediately have all abilities associated with that scroll/class upon equipping?"

Each scroll grants the character one spell the instant it is equipped, and the scrolls don't level up. The player does have to think about which scrolls to equip since each character only has 6 slots for scrolls or accessories. The characters' proficiency with elements level up as you use them instead of the scrolls leveling up.

"Are there miss-able scrolls?"

Yes. I know Clone and Chef's Paradise come to mind. I don't remember any others off the top of my head. Oh, the Emporer guardian is missable too. Some characters are missable: Genshi and Reikan, and it sounds like Kinrei, Ginrei*, Taurus, and Tessen** although I've never had it happen to me in my four or so playthroughs.

"Are some of them a bitch to get?"

No. If you do all the sidequests in Chapter 2, you'll get Clone in Chapter 3. And if you enter every Shop, Blacksmith, Post, Chemist, and Dojo you'll get Chef's Paradise in either Chapter 2 or 3. The key is to re-visit the Shops, Blacksmiths, etc. in Chapter 2 after recruiting Kinrei and Ginrei. For Genshi and Reikan, just open a FAQ when you're prompted with dialogue choices in the cutscenes. The rest of the scrolls aren't missable. And for the Emperor guardian, it's also pretty simple: open every treasure chest in the battles, destroy Taurus's throne and open the chest that appears, and enter every Shop, Blacksmith, etc.

* http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/480705-saiyuki-journey-west/58185753
** http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/480705-saiyuki-journey-west/58502269
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:38:49 PM by darcthelad » Logged
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »

I don't know if I'd call it perfect, I can think of one issue I have off the top of my head, BUT Saiyuki is a special game. The story and characters are fantastic, the battle system is, for the most part extremely well balanced and provided me with a challenge without making me go WTF and the scroll system mentioned above provides a challenge, once again, without being so damn complicated I need four FAQs and three walkthroughs to understand it. Overall I think it's truly a great game with some very nice graphics with vibrant colors, especially considering the age.

PS my only real complaint alluded to above is sometimes the various battle areas will end up in a bottleneck where it's too much of a battle of attrition, not always but often enough to briefly annoy me, what did annoy me though was that because the game utilizes differerences in terrain way, way too much you simply cannot see WTF is going on, would have been nice if the landscapes would have become opaque so you could more easily see where to move and where movement was possible, but still overall it's a really good game.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:34:30 AM by Bytor » Logged

Everything's Eventual
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »

Lunar Eternal Blue (I just have to finish the epilogue)

Wild Arms 2 (I'm basically at the final dungeon, but I wanna beat some of the super bosses first)

Final Fantasy XII (I completely lost interest after a few hours of gameplay)

Dark Cloud 2 (Beat everything but the Zelmite Mines)

Unlimited Saga (2 hours of my life that I'll never get back)

Suikoden 2 (Sadly, my disc freezes at the Mist Monster)

Star Ocean 2 (Lost interest after the earthquake incident)

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

When I bought it, I played it for a few hours and then lost interest because I couldn't use my dragon form as much as I wanted.  A couple of years later, I restarted the game and finished the main story.  Now (another couple of years later), I just have that fairy dungeon thingy left to do.

@darcthelad

Your name and my avatar matches! :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:40:05 PM by Zadok83 » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 02:17:32 PM »

FFT bad, Saiyuki good!

Actually, I prefer Fire Emblem and other SRPGs that allow a greater number of units on a map...

PS my only real complaint alluded to above is sometimes the various battle areas will end up in a bottleneck where it's too much of a battle of attrition,

That's basically what happened to me. I made a mistake, died fifteen minutes later and just didn't feel like trying again that day. So... I still haven't gone back to it. I really ought to finish that game after a ten year hiatus...

But first... Wild Arms 5! And Xenoblade! Maybe Avalon Code! Definitely Jeanne d' Arc!
darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »

It's not really that I dislike FFT. Its story and music really shine, and on a first playthrough having all those choices is neat. It's just that subsequent playthroughs are no fun gameplaywise because you don't choose your team (your team will end up being the broken classes/characters) and you annihilate most oponents with ease. In the end, it really only has a few classes to choose from - the best 6 or so. It's the illusion of choice that bugs me. (The idiotic nostalgia-blinded fanboys don't have any bearing on what I think of the game itself.)

I just can't for the life of me figure out how someone could come away from Saiyuki: Journey West with an overall negative opinion of the game. I can certainly see people having other favorites (like Brigandine :) ) or merely thinking "it's pretty good," but someone would have to be flatout bonkers to think "it sucks."

Anyway, that review I linked to goes into more detail, and it echoes my sentiments.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 04:03:12 PM »

Yeah, I mean we all get along about things in the real world so I can't see how anyone would disagree about video games, right?

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »

Wow, people are missing out on some great finalies.  I can understand any of the Xenosagas, though I still think it's worth trudging through the gameplay just for the story.  But I'm truly stunned to see people giving on on Valkyria Chronicles.  For a title focused on battles, it's got a tremendous story and it has a very satisfying ending that makes you feel like the time you invested was well worth it.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 06:50:41 PM »

Wow, people are missing out on some great finalies.  I can understand any of the Xenosagas, though I still think it's worth trudging through the gameplay just for the story.  But I'm truly stunned to see people giving on on Valkyria Chronicles.  For a title focused on battles, it's got a tremendous story and it has a very satisfying ending that makes you feel like the time you invested was well worth it.

There got to be a point in VC where I had trouble completing missions. It would take many, many attempts and reloads. I'd get a bad ranking and it would take hours for just one battle. I finally decided to just use a strategy guide (there is an excellent one on gamefaqs on how to max rank every mission the first playthrough) and I didn't regret it one bit. I was able to enjoy the story a lot more (not to mention see the whole thing!) and learned things about what kinds of strategies really work and which ones don't. For instance, machine gunners are just as effective as lancers at killing tanks if you give the gunner the proper order before you send them in!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 07:49:56 PM »

Yeah, I mean we all get along about things in the real world so I can't see how anyone would disagree about video games, right?

LOL, I love it! Religion and politics ... and videogames.

darc ... thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I'll add it to the backloggery. Low priority, but I will give Saiyuki a try.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »

I tend to either drop a game early on or complete it. If I am at the midway point and its feeling like a slog (FFXIII), I'll just blow through it without doing any sidequests (not that FFXIII had much anyway but still....).

Games I can recall that I dropped early because they weren't working for me:
- Persona (PSP) - just felt awkward and unpolished to me. I am hoping that Innocent Sin feels a bit more "right"
- Tales of Eternia - battles were boring and button mashy.
- Tales of Vesperia - ditto. Hubby picked up the game and enjoyed it after though.
- Divinity II - I felt like I was spending all my time running around and grinding.
- Assassin's Creed - no farking captions for the talking? (I am deaf, so having people stand around waving their arms wasn't entertaining)
- Dragon Quarter - you mean I have to die and start over multiple times to gain enough items, cash and exp to play? And being a dragon too often is Game Over?
- Suikoden III - don't remember much anymore, I think I just got bored quickly
- Eternal Sonata - one of the rare games that I played a fair distance into but didn't finish. It just felt boring after awhile and I couldn't care about the story/characters anymore.
- That Square tactical game, I think I blocked the name out of my brain. Infinite Undiscovery or something like that? Oh man the acting was BAD and the battles were boring!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: