Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 01:33:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338391 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Loose ends... the games we have not finished and should we?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Loose ends... the games we have not finished and should we?  (Read 7094 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2011, 02:44:43 AM »

I can't bring myself to finish 3 yet.  I really really want to, maybe I finish it someday.

Why not pop it in and start playing? Give yourself a little kickstart? That's what I usually do when I want/need to play something but don't really want too. Half of the time it turns out the game is more fun than I anticipated and I keep playing because I want to. The other half is shovelware.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2011, 02:55:07 AM »

That reminds me, I do need to finish Xenosaga 1, but I can't remember what happened in the past 2 hours and I don't want to redo the 8 I played. I guess I'll have to wait until I forget what happened in the beginning.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2011, 03:31:20 AM »

Or watch the cutscenes on Youtube?
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2011, 09:34:07 AM »

And the sequels have summaries with both text and sometimes pretty pictures, ne?

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
suikoman444

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »

Right now I have Earthbound and Legend of Legaia left unfinished. I was enjoying the plot in both, but something about the battle systems made it difficult for me to play for very long at once. I'm not even really sure what it was about them. Though, I think I will try to get through them slowly before school starts. I hate leaving games undone for too long.

Games In Progress:
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Legend of Legaia
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »

Or watch the cutscenes on Youtube?

I didn't even think about that. Thank you for solving this problem for me!

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »

I'll have to add Dragon Age: Origins to the list of games I've left unfinished, since I've sort of dug myself into a hole in a point of no return, can't really grind, and have pretty much exhausted all my healing items (and I don't have enough ingredients to create any more via herbology).

lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »

Why not pop it in and start playing? Give yourself a little kickstart? That's what I usually do when I want/need to play something but don't really want too. Half of the time it turns out the game is more fun than I anticipated and I keep playing because I want to. The other half is shovelware.

Thanks, I think I'll finish it someday... when work and family not getting on the way.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »

I'll have to add Dragon Age: Origins to the list of games I've left unfinished, since I've sort of dug myself into a hole in a point of no return, can't really grind, and have pretty much exhausted all my healing items (and I don't have enough ingredients to create any more via herbology).

I'm pretty sure DA:O lets you change the difficulty whenever you want, if that helps.
darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »

I'm not going to let it go. Critics are supposed to evaluate the work that went into something, and in that process let the artist know what he/she could have done better.

This modern day re-definition of critic where it means "sadistic psychopath who enjoys calling people shit and demanding they quit their passion" is bull. That is absolutely heinous behavior, and I will never accept it as anything but. They do not deserve the title of critic; they deserve only bad titles like psychopath, sadist, and scum. We can disagree on whatever game's individual merits, but I at least hope we don't disagree on this.

edit: I did some digging around to show what I mean. This is one of the most highly respected critics in this country today, so much so that he was awarded a Pulitzer Prize for criticism:

from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_ebert
"In 1975, Ebert became the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize."
"In 2005, Ebert opined that video games are not art, and are inferior to media created through authorial control, such as film and literature, stating, "video games can be elegant, subtle, sophisticated, challenging and visually wonderful", but "the nature of the medium prevents it from moving beyond craftsmanship to the stature of art".[62] This resulted in negative reaction from video game enthusiasts,[63] such as writer Clive Barker, who defended video games as an art form, stating that they have the power to move people, that the views of book or film critics are less important than those of the consumers experiencing them, and that Ebert's were prejudiced. Ebert responded that the charge of prejudice was merely a euphemism for disagreement, that merely being moved by an experience does not denote it as artistic, and that critics are also consumers.[64] Ebert later defended his position in April 2010, saying, "No video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form."[65] He also stated that he has never found a video game "worthy of (his) time", and thus has never played one. Cracked.com writer Robert Brockway responded by opining that this made Ebert unqualified to judge video games, and that debating Ebert on such a topic was comparable to "a structured philosophical debate on the importance of pacifism and restraint with a rabid badger: Your opponent is not only unqualified from the start, but it's obviously just out to attack you."[66]

In a July 1, 2010, blog entry, Ebert maintained his skepticism that video games can ever be art in principle, but conceded that he should not have expressed this opinion without being more familiar with the actual experience of playing them. He reflected on the reaction to his blog entry, gamers' attempts to recommend to him games such as The Shadow of the Colossus, and his reluctance to play games due to his lack of interest in the medium."

Note that he only backstepped after it looked like this would ruin him, which IMO it already did since prejudice is always despicable and horrendous.

And if this is one of the good ones, what would a bad critic do? Commit a violent hate crime. I shudder at the thought of just what exactly a bad critic is, if this is a reputable, respected one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:47:53 PM by darcthelad » Logged
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »

You are clearly a disturbed person.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2011, 09:47:34 PM »

I'm not the one denouncing the work of others before giving it a chance, and I won't tolerate it from others either. My behavior is not one of a disturbed person; it's the behavior of an ethical person. The behavior of Ebert, prejudice, is the behavior of a disturbed person.

Personally, I'm very disappointed in you, Vanguard. Your condoning of prejudice is appaling, to say the least. You may disagree with me about individual games or what a critic's job is, but exhibiting prejudice (Ebert) and tolerating it from others (you) is something of which I cannot civilly disagree.

If your comment was about how I implied that if a good critic exhibits prejudice, a bad one may have committed violent hate crime(s), I only said that because it is the logical progression from bad to worse with regards to prejudice. I've, in no way, said anything absolute about all critics; every single time I've said anything bad about critics here I've placed an "almost all," "most," etc. to denote that. Furthermore, I didn't even say anything absolute about critics with regards to having committed violent hate crimes.

I could go on and on, quite frankly. There are those critics at various videogame magazines that took bribes in exchange for dishonest reviews. That's another heinous thing. I can of course also cite acts of displacement, where a critic lets his/her feelings for one work/person spill over to others. That's a second heinous thing. And we all know of videogame magazine critics who've written reviews for games they've barely played (which returns us to prejudice). That's a third heinous thing. Futhermore, that's not even going into the minor infractions like letting one's expectations skew his/her reviews for various works, letting popular opinion skew one's reviews of various works, or dismissing any work that's even the slightest bit different (there's a theme emerging here). It's a shame that this sort of behavior is respected, accepted, or even tolerated. It shouldn't be.
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »

Changing the subject back to sanity.

I just realized I've pushed Chrono Trigger into my to-do pile. I feel very bad about that, but I just don't want to play it right now.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2011, 10:38:38 PM »

Well, I can't say how much it means to me that you're disappointed. No increment of measure that small exists.

Look, you're fooling yourself if you think you're not being irrational. Nobody has defined critic as  "sadistic psychopath who enjoys calling people shit and demanding they quit their passion," besides you.

Can reviews be mean-spirited? Yes. Can reviews be biased? Yes. Are there good reviews and bad reviews? Absolutely. However, with few exceptions, the majority of people posting on these forums are not critics that write in-depth reviews; they're people who enjoy playing and talking about video games, so take your Lithium or Xanax or whatever and get off your soap box.

And Jubby, don't feel bad about putting off CT. I'm doing the same right now as I finish up Radiant Historia.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2011, 11:51:46 PM »

And Jubby, don't feel bad about putting off CT. I'm doing the same right now as I finish up Radiant Historia.

I should finish that too, but I put Knights in the Nightmare in the DS and... GRR! I hate GADHD.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: