Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 08:13:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329869 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  TEAM ICO COLLECTION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: TEAM ICO COLLECTION  (Read 14369 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »

Reviews are out and of course they're glowing.

The new game+ feature in Ico seems very interesting.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 07:04:40 PM »

Sony avoids 'net rage, makes right call on Team Ico box art
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:45 PM »

Thank God. They also did a reversible cover for Resistance 3. What a pleasant surprise.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »

I have a feeling I'm going to get stoned and just play SotC and just weep.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 02:41:02 AM »

Yay!

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 05:48:55 AM »

Digital Foundry takes an indepth look at the collection and compares it to the PS2 version:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-ps2-ps3-comparison

Jesus Christ the difference is absolutely insane. ICO was originally 512x224! Just look at that video!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:02:27 AM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »

Digital Foundry takes an indepth look at the collection and compares it to the PS2 version:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-ps2-ps3-comparison

Jesus Christ the difference is absolutely insane. ICO was originally 512x224! Just look at that video!

That's probably why this game never worked with my component cables. The first time I played it everything worked except the disc which had errors but after a long time and I got component cables, just like Disgaea no image would show until I switched cables. For that reason and a few others I ended up not playing it until the end. This will be the perfect opportunity.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 09:55:44 PM »

ICO was breathtaking to begin with, now....WOW

Everything's Eventual
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 06:37:15 AM »

Here's part 2 of the DF feature:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-hd-collection

So here's the gist of it:

ICO runs at native 1080p and with MLAA! It looks even better than high end emulation.
As for SOTC, they recomend playing in 720p. The 1080p mode is upscaled from 960x1080 resulting in rectangular pixels. Not sure if that will bother me, I'll have to check it out. People with 3D tvs will be disappointed to know that performance in 3D mode is abysmal though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:41:13 AM by CDFN » Logged

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 08:12:19 AM »

ICO runs at native 1080p and with MLAA! It looks even better than high end emulation.

I doubt it. With PCSX2 you can set the native resolution to something like 5760x3240. No way can HD remakes beat that kind of image quality.

In the Eurogamer article they claim that they ran Ico "at an unimaginably high resolution with FXAA applied", but I`m not seeing it from the (awfully compressed)screenshots. Would`ve helped a lot if they provided links to the uncompressed pics in PNG format.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 08:23:38 AM »

I'm just happy to get both games in a good pack (and finally having the opportunity to play Ico), everything else is just a plus.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 08:30:21 AM »

I doubt it. With PCSX2 you can set the native resolution to something like 5760x3240. No way can HD remakes beat that kind of image quality.

In the Eurogamer article they claim that they ran Ico "at an unimaginably high resolution with FXAA applied", but I`m not seeing it from the (awfully compressed)screenshots. Would`ve helped a lot if they provided links to the uncompressed pics in PNG format.

Resolution isn't everything, they adapted the textures to make them work better with the new image format and res. It's obvious if you look at the ground in these pics. This isn't just an upscale like most HD ports or what you get through emulation.

http://images.eurogamer.net/2011/articles//a/1/3/9/8/3/8/5/Ico_Emulation_005.bmp.jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/2011/articles//a/1/3/9/8/3/8/5/Ico_1080p_005.bmp.jpg

I don't get why we can't talk about emulation here. Even mainstream sites do it. Gamesradar recently made an article about it and even encouraged people to try it out if they had the required hardware. On gaf the mere mention of piracy gets you banned, yet it's the go-to place for PS2 and wii emulation.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:35:32 AM by CDFN » Logged

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »

Resolution isn't everything, they adapted the textures to make them work better with the new image format and res. It's obvious if you look at the ground in these pics. This isn't just an upscale like most HD ports or what you get through emulation.

I was talking about the overall image quality and how you can make the game look incredibly sharp on the emulator. But this collection does have better assets, no question about it.

I don't get why we can't talk about emulation here. Even mainstream sites do it. Gamesradar recently made an article about it and even encouraged people to try it out if they had the required hardware. On gaf the mere mention of piracy gets you banned, yet it's the go-to place for PS2 and wii emulation.

I don`t get it either. As long as the discussion doesn`t involve links to sites with copyrighted material, it should be alright.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 10:44:53 AM »

The 16:9 support is also very welcome, gives you a much wider field of view.. I never tried the widescreen hack on ICO to be honest but it probably only stretches the image.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »

I wish they would have fixed the horrendous camera in SOTC.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: