Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 05:32:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319786 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Arc the Lad, here I come.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Arc the Lad, here I come.  (Read 5086 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »

I'm about 2 hours into the first one. I really like it so far, it's nothing to go nuts over but I have enjoyed it. Really anxious for the second part though, my best friend keeps urging me on to get through one. Sounds like it'll be awesome.

You know what's awesome? Choko. Get her now and she'll help you get through some of the more grindy/boring parts of Arc the Lad II.
GarrIguess

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 10:13:25 AM »

Oh wow, didn't realize the stuff carried over on the games. That is freakin awesome.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »

It's worth it. It opens up some new events, some new items in a certain shop and what's left of Choko's sidequest. If I recall correctly, you also get the keep the levels of your characters and the accessories in your inventory as well. I think. It's been years since I last played this. When did this come out again? 2002? Nine years...
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »

That's really the only reason to play it, in my opinion. It's short enough to ignore its faults and appreciate what charm it has, but Arc II is fantastic. Shame I never did finish it though, I just couldn't beat the last boss for the life of me and gave up. I think everyone was level 70+ too, and I just didn't want to grind anymore.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
GarrIguess

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 06:50:32 PM »

Oh boy, hope that doesn't happen to me. Although I really love RPGs, I am terrible at video games so that kinda stuff worries me. Also, hope I haven't missed anything on Arc, I haven't encountered any new characters. I just now even made it over to the second continent. I move slow.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 02:44:54 AM »

That's one of the reasons for doing Choko's sidequest. She eats final boss for breakfast. If you have Choko, but don't mess around with that arena game, he should still offer a reasonable challenge.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 09:14:35 AM »

I did get Choko, but I never messed around with the arena game much, I don't think.

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 10:38:52 PM »

I own all of the Arc the Lad games.  I absolutely loved Arc I-III.  I bought the Collection in 2002 and I finished Arc I a few days later but I waited two years to play Arc II.  I spent the entire summer playing it in 2004.  I had hundreds of hours into Arc II.  I started Arc III afterwards and was thoroughly impressed with the trilogy.  Shu, Tosh, Arc, Gengen, so many great and memorable characters.  Chongara is another character I liked because he was funny.  Something he says I know i'm going to say wrong but he says something in battle that goes like "Eat the boy, Eat the boy, SCREWYA!!!!!"  At least, that's what it sounds like he says to me,lol :)  Twilight of the Spirits was an ok addition to the series.  My favorite character who wasn't used alot was Samson, he was awesome :(
I enjoyed End of Darkness, the online was fun and I got a few good amount of games in, then they pulled the servers :(  The single player was forgettable but I enjoyed it I guess.
  This series ended prematurely.  I'm glad to hear that Suikoden may return and with the original writer possibly writing an RPG for a "certain company", this and Arc need to come back and have the classic gameplay.  Now I want to play all the Arc games and maybe play some Working Designs games....

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 12:27:36 AM »

AtL1 is good. AtL2 is like godly.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 01:04:35 AM »

Arc 2 is godly.  Seriously, it's almost better than Final Fantasy Tactics or VII.  This series is extremely underrated.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 07:42:49 AM »

I think it's a stretch to say Arc II trumps FFVII. Both are great games, but for wholly different reasons.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 09:24:26 AM »

OK sitting here reading this prompted me to do an EBAY search, got II and III at a great price, for various reasons I is proving to be elusive, so question, can II and III be played w/o knowledge of I or is it (at least) somewhat necessary for continuity?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:49:37 AM by Bytor » Logged

Everything's Eventual
Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 09:40:57 AM »

OK sitting here reading this prompted me to do an EBAY search, got II and III at a great price, for various reasons I is proving to be elusive, so question, can II and II be played w/o knowledge of I or is it (at least) somewhat necessary for continuity?

I can't answer your question since I've only played I, but if you're having trouble finding it,there's always PSN if you don't mind not having a physical disc.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 01:26:39 PM »

OK sitting here reading this prompted me to do an EBAY search, got II and III at a great price, for various reasons I is proving to be elusive, so question, can II and III be played w/o knowledge of I or is it (at least) somewhat necessary for continuity?

Did you get the discs-only or something? Because aside from the PSN re-release, they were only released as part of a collection in North America. Anyway, this ebay auction is the disc for the first AtL.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 02:21:57 PM »

Yeah. bought them from a guy who only had II and III from collection, and thanks for the heads up on I, hopefully price will stay somewhat decent.

Everything's Eventual
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: