Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 10:45:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329236 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  The Binding of Isaac
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Binding of Isaac  (Read 3705 times)
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »

Actually, first you had Dungeons and Dragons, then you had Ultima in the US (as well as Wizardry), then Dragon Quest simplified Ultima's formula, and then Zelda took inspiration from some of DQ's elements and simplified the formula, again. So Zelda is pretty much a simplification of a simplification of an adaptation. Not much RPG left there! :P

Zelda came first, not Dragon Quest. At least look at the dates before making stuff up.

EDIT: With that said I can't seem to easily find something to confirm any Ultima link or anything. For now I'm just going to assume most RPG overlap is more incidental than anything else.

Well I'm writing a paper on DQ right now, and I read that in a book during my research (Replay by Tristan Donovan), maybe I misread too... I'll double-check and I'll edit this post with his citation. Didn't want to make up stuff or anything, just wanted to share the results of my research, sorry if I messed up!

I have fury!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »

Sorry if I was a bit snappy there then. It seemed improbable even if it were earlier though given this is the 25th Anniversary for both series, even if development was shorter back then they would've likely had too little time to really take inspiration from one another.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:38:38 PM by Eusis » Logged
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 11:31:43 PM »

Sorry if I was a bit snappy there then. It seemed improbable even if it were earlier though given this is the 25th Anniversary for both sales, even if development was shorter back then they would've likely had too little time to really take inspiration from one another.

Here's the actual quote:

From Replay: The History of Video Games by Tristan Donovan, p.162:

"But not everyone in the Japanese game business was impressed by the creations of Horii and Sakaguchi. Nintendo, despite its involvement with Mother, was particularly lukewarm to the genre. Yamauchi described role-playing games as being for "depressed gamers" who sit in dark rooms, while Miyamoto professed to a "fundamental dislike" of their emphasis on pre-defined stories and level-based advancement. Not that this stopped Miyamoto from raiding the genre for inspiration. His 1986 game The Legend of Zelda adapted many of the conventions of role-playing into an action game format. The concept of character development, for example, was reinvented as extra abilities or weapons that players obtained as they progressed through the game."

This paragraph is after one that explains how Horii wanted to make a Japanese, simpler alternative to games such as Ultima and Wizardry (both of which are discussed about earlier in the book) and followed by the story of the craze around Dragon Warrior III in Japan. Because the paragraph started by opposing Miyamoto to what Horii and Sakaguchi made, that's why I made this mistake.
By the way, this book is wonderful, I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in the history of video games. It's way more complete than Kent's Ultimate History of Video Games, and it covers much more too, as it was published later...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:33:22 PM by Arhkaos » Logged

I have fury!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 08:11:55 AM »

Does anyone have any tips for playing this?

I bought it the other day and I'm struggling, to say the least. The furthest I've made it is the boss of Depths I. I think I've died, ten or so times; give or take. I just find it really frustrating that no items are carried over into the next playthrough. Makes me feel like I've completely wasted my time when I die because I have nothing to show for my effort (except the collection screen, but I care little about that until I've actually beaten the game). I can't even learn levels, because they're randomly generated. Sometimes I just end up in a difficult room with only a little health left.

If you could even just carry over a single item, I'm sure I'd be having more fun with it.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 09:29:56 AM »

I'm playing it and really digging it.

Some tips are to try every pill you come across at first. If you end up with really cool abilities that you like, do NOT sample any more of them because you are likely to get something you like less.

I love the randomization but then again I've always been a fan of roguelike stuff - it's almost like it's a roguelike Zelda. But then if you don't dig that sort of thing it would certainly be a strike against it.

Biggest tip - early, eat pills like crazy as you find them. But if one gives you an awesome ability, stick with it during that playthrough.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »

Also if the first few floors don't give you good power-ups just die to restart and hope you get a good first floor. Also if you get the door to the room where you can sacrifice hearts after beating a boss take the inverted cross, it breaks the game pretty good since you get faster and can fly. The unicorn horn item also makes bosses pretty easy, a single usage will get them to about 50% health. It's really just a matter of luck to get a good spread of power-ups and items through the first couple of floors or it becomes a lot more challenging.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »

Thanks guys! I'll have another shot at it today and hopefully do better!

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »

Woot! Just killed Mom (Mum :P)! I didn't have enough hearts to make a deal with the devil for the one you recommended, Adapheon, but I got one that let me shoot a full on laser; made most rooms much easier.

...Now to do it many more times to unlock stuff!

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 06:43:37 AM »

Had a look at TBs "WTF is" of this game.
Looks like an oldschool Zelda clone with no overworld and a whole lot of "creepy" thrown in for good measure. Ah well, these are the same guys that made Super Meat Boy, so it should be expected.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: