Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 08:29:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329283 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Help. Need good story RPG for current Gen..clueless
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Help. Need good story RPG for current Gen..clueless  (Read 8182 times)
Igydigital

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:00:38 PM »

Maybe you guys can help me.  Its been a long time since I have played a good RPG that was story driven.  Here is the scoop.  My favorite RPG of all time is Final Fantasy X.  I played that game years after I played the NA FFIII.  Ever since that game, I have not found an RPG that I loved as much.  Xenosaga was alright (episode I) but didn't captivate me like 10.  Oblivion is a great game, but not very story driven.  Im still waiting on FFXII in october, but I am desperate to play a (at least decent) RPG.  

Here are some of the RPG's I played after FFX that I've given a chance.  FF7, FF8, Final fantasy tactics (didn't really give it a good chance)

Xenosaga Episode I, Xenogears ( was a really good for a while until I got frustrated with some aspects of gameplay and gave up before the end)

Star Ocean TIll the end of time (alright); Grandia III seemed like it had promise, with a horrible ending IMO.  

Other than that, Most games I have given into have been shooters and God of War like games.  Please help.  I know there is a huge library of games out there that I have not discovered that can be my next Lovely RPG.  Unfortunately, I fell in love with voice acting and story driven RPGs after FFX.  And although I know some didnt' enjoy it because it was linear and too Movie like, that's exactly what I liked.  So it's hard for me to backtrack and play a game back in 1999 for ps1 because I have tried that and it hasn't tickled my pickle.  What current games are out there that you guys think I would like?  Thanks so much for your opinions.  

BTW, my consoles are PS2, xbox, xbox360, super Nintendo (yea chron0 chross was a thought), but more inclined towards a ps2 game.  Thanks in advance - Igydigital
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:16:20 PM »

Some games with great stories

Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Digital Devil Saga 2 (the first game is quite a bit less story focused)
Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
Suikoden V
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Tales of Legendia
Igydigital

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 12:30:19 PM »

is the digital deveil saga avaialbe in north america?  I am only willing to play English version games..
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 01:08:39 PM »

Yes it is.

LaVal named just about every good RPG to come out in the past year or two....play any of them and if you have some sort of problem with them (you got frustrated with Xenogears?) then you should probably just stop playing RPGs in general. You want a game with major story driven content....Xenogears is about the perfect game then...and somehow the gameplay made you give up before the end.

Me no undastanda.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 01:41:04 PM »

i liked the plot to vagrant story (PS1)...but it's only revealed in small parts.

I liked the char. development in Star Ocean 2 (also PS1).

Ramza

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »

Suikoden V, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Tales of Legendia (the pacing is horrid and the battle system is absurd though), Final Fantasy X

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 02:35:18 PM »

Quote from: "Igydigital"
is the digital deveil saga avaialbe in north america?  I am only willing to play English version games..

Yes, and /don't/ skip on 1. They're both halves of the same story, so it's not smart to skip that too, and you get some unlockables in 2 when you use a clear game save. Plus the amount of cutscenes seems roughly equal in both games. 2 is easier to find however, so don't beat yourself up over it if you can't find 1 for a price you're willing to pay.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 03:18:06 PM »

Having looked at LaVal's list, I can wholeheartedly recommend Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Absolutely amazing game.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 12:13:39 AM »

I can't think of many story-driven RPGs that I've played as of late other that the Digital Devil Saga two-fer and Suikoden V. The former I reccomend in every one of these types of threads, regardless of whether the topic starter is looking for a story-driven RPG or not, so I definately think you should pick them up (that means both DDSs).
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 12:26:05 AM »

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it is to suggest just DDS2 and not DDS1 and 2 over which is 'more story focused', and not availability and whatnot. It's not like picking up FFIV or VI over FFV or something, where the stories are completely independent from one another. Plus no one in their right mind would tell someone else to watch/read the Two Towers and /totally skip/ Fellow of the Rings when both are readily available. Half of the appeal in stories like DDS's and LotR's are that they're multipart epics.

Oh, and you'll be missing a lot of character development, story setup, and just be generally clueless if you skip to DDS2.

Edit: Looking at that list again actually, I'd also like to recommand SH1 if you can find it before you play SH:C. I personally liked it a lot more, but you'll appreciate the story more with both played. Unlike DDS though, they're largely stand alone, with almost completely different casts. In fact, as far as major characters go only 3 return and remain a major part of the story, amongst which is the protagonist of the first, Yuri.
Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 12:52:12 AM »

Magna Carta? :S

What?!
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 12:31:57 PM »

my recomends : digital devil saga, shadow hearts, the first and second part for the two games

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 12:13:04 PM »

FF IX has the best story in a Final Fantasy game, I think. Secret of Mana is like the best game Square ever made in my opinion - but its for the SNES so it'd be hard to find now. Dragonquest 8 has the best voiceacting of all the RPGs i've played, and the storys not too bad. Wild Arms 3 has a very good story, but its very, very, long.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 04:16:23 PM »

I'd save DQVIII for when you want an entertaining game with an enjoyable, albit simple, storyline. It's not a great one, but it's got memorable characters and a charming fairy tale feel to it.
Lycaon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 06:48:49 PM »

I'm really into RPG's with a great story and good tempo.
My favorites of all times are
- Suikoden I (PSX) - Absolute favourite! Played it through 5 times!!
- Final Fantasy IV(Jap)/II(US) (SNES/PSX)
- Final Fantasy X (PS2)
- Castlevania - Symphony Of the Night (PSX)

The great thing with Suikoden I and FF IV is that they take 20-40h to play through completely, and the stories are packed with wonderful moments.
Their soundtracks have tons of classics on both games and both contains characters you'll always remember.
For a more "massive" experience, go for FFX or the other newer RPG's that go for more of everything.. Kinda too much of everything imho.
For the superior action-RPG, take a look at Castlevania SOTN. This is what all newer ActionRPG's are trying to reach. 10/10! The coolest is that it has 4(!) endings. You just have to find them all!

Hope it helped!
Regards, Lycaon
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: