Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:45:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327578 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Help. Need good story RPG for current Gen..clueless
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Help. Need good story RPG for current Gen..clueless  (Read 8130 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 08:50:28 PM »

Digital Devil Saga 2 isn't as cool without the first, though. And though DDS1 is less story focused, it's still got an awesome story. Really good example of developing a more... narrative, 'obvious', plot driven story along side a subtler and more abstract one. In both games.

Although, playing DDS1 after 2, if you must, still should work. Although they're not nearly as standalone as, say, the Persona 2 games are.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 09:39:08 PM »

i suggest you to try beyond good and evil mind you it not rpg nor action rpg. this is action adventure game like the legend of zelda series plus minos. however unlike zelda beyond good and evil is heavily story driven it has truly memorable cast and story and has that "movie like feeling you looking after and it frankly much more equal to ffx in production valve then must of the games you try
ps. it really cheap now less than 20$ i think and exist for both ps2 and xbox.

if you lock on rpg only you given the best  ones before i come already :)
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 09:48:33 PM »

The thread started posted this on August 27, makes me wonder if the guy (or girl) still even checks it out. Might help others if some got some got inspired by the suggestions, but seems somewhat pointless overall at this point.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 01:32:27 AM »

i ask here becuase i dont want to open a new topic just for that so who suikoden v is in the story it have memorable persons that wil stuck me on the screen? i ask because there are so many characters there that it not seems possible for moving storyline i looking for also i never play a single game in the series before so it wil hurt my enjoy from the storyline like it does in phantasy star 4 or even more?
and last but not last i read here in rpgfan review that the game have many endings and even a new game+ like my beloved chrono trigger so it hard to get the best ending ? i dont want to play the game get bad ending and need to start the game again just to see it or even worse watch it on youtube like losser things like this hurt my enjoyment in oddowrld back in its day ... love you all and good morning everyone it morning here at least
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 02:05:16 AM »

Unlike Chrono Cross, Suikoden manages to do a good job with characters (generally) by focusing on a small handful over spreading it out over way too many. Plus it fits in with the theme of the games, war. It's not like there's only 6 people to worry about in a grand war happening in a country or region.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 03:14:25 AM »

In a war, there're only three people worth worrying about: You, the guy standing next to you, and the guy trying to shoot you both.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 03:50:50 AM »

Quote from: "Igydigital"
Maybe you guys can help me.  Its been a long time since I have played a good RPG that was story driven.  Here is the scoop.  My favorite RPG of all time is Final Fantasy X.  I played that game years after I played the NA FFIII.  Ever since that game, I have not found an RPG that I loved as much.  Xenosaga was alright (episode I) but didn't captivate me like 10.  Oblivion is a great game, but not very story driven.  Im still waiting on FFXII in october, but I am desperate to play a (at least decent) RPG.  

Here are some of the RPG's I played after FFX that I've given a chance.  FF7, FF8, Final fantasy tactics (didn't really give it a good chance)

Xenosaga Episode I, Xenogears ( was a really good for a while until I got frustrated with some aspects of gameplay and gave up before the end)

Other than that, Most games I have given into have been shooters and God of War like games.  Please help.  I know there is a huge library of games out there that I have not discovered that can be my next Lovely RPG.  Unfortunately, I fell in love with voice acting and story driven RPGs after FFX.  And although I know some didnt' enjoy it because it was linear and too Movie like, that's exactly what I liked.  So it's hard for me to backtrack and play a game back in 1999 for ps1 because I have tried that and it hasn't tickled my pickle.  What current games are out there that you guys think I would like?  Thanks so much for your opinions.  

Glad to hear you liked FFX.

If you're crazy about story driven RPGs then I highly recommend Shadow Hearts 1&2. Xenosaga is awesome too but as you said gameplay is frustrating so it worth using cheat codes if you consider that your time valuable.

Kindom Hearts 2 is surprizingly amazing. #1 choice for a story-driven game. The story is captiving and there are cinematics at every screen transition.

Even though Metal Gear isn't a RPG, you shouldn't miss it. To give you a rough idea, the duration of some cutscenes are over 10-15 minutes.

Iím not sure to recommend Digital Devil Saga because Iím only 5 hours deep in the first episode and it seems to be more labyrith-oriented than story-driven. Except for the introduction most of the cut-scenes seem to be shorter than 1 minutes. But maybe it will change later.

FFX12 isn't story-driven like FF10, and the story is quite simple. However the atmosphere is incredible, a traveling experience similar to Dragon Quest 8.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 04:26:27 AM »

Quote from: "blackthirteen"

Iím not sure to recommend Digital Devil Saga because Iím only 5 hours deep in the first episode and it seems to be more labyrith-oriented than story-driven. Except for the introduction most of the cut-scenes seem to be shorter than 1 minutes. But maybe it will change later.

The first DDS is a bit of a dungeon crawler, but the second game is very story heavy. I'd easily recommend it to anyone looking for a good story.
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 04:39:05 AM »

oh great now i read that suikoden v use a mute hero that i "choose what he said" wow!! in short it mean forgettable hero and a buch of shallow characters that didnt get development it seems a game that have nothing to it beside the challenge to collect 108 characters not thanks pokemon did it better im not buying it. damm im so soory i buy my ps2 i have it for more than 3 years and buy it first for the rpgs and yet it not have even one good one final fantasy x was one of the worse games ever i didnt

even have force to finish it shandow hearts games boring as hell what persons love in it!!! and as i said i cant get the xenosaga games i want to throw my ps2 from the window so far so it wil come  completely runied  straight to sony of japan Corporation   and within it to Ken Kutaragi office along with a letter in hebrew that tell him in great detail how much greedy person he is and how much i hate him
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 04:45:28 AM »

Ummm... Ok, I'll just respond to that first bit.

Most of the characters that don't get development are optional ones. Suikoden games always have a core cast (SuikIV's pretty much the only exception there, and even then there's a handful of central characters) that receive great development, and the rest that are either entirely optional, or just come along into your army. But those that do tend to get a good job - just look for the old threads about SuikV if you want to hear us say more, but my complaints with the game certainly don't rest with the plot and character development.

As for the main character: You still get a good idea for what he's thinking and all with flashbacks and his facial expressions. Some look goofy as hell, but they do a good job nevertheless. And a lot of RPGs, even now, have mute characters - that's a disappointment, but not a reason to skip over the game.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 10:57:39 AM »

Quote from: "salinger"
oh great now i read that suikoden v use a mute hero that i "choose what he said" wow!! in short it mean forgettable hero and a buch of shallow characters that didnt get development it seems a game that have nothing to it beside the challenge to collect 108 characters not thanks pokemon did it better im not buying it.

Broken English aside....you make absolutely no sense in your logic and are making me very violent.

Suikoden V > Me Fucking Your Mom.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 11:48:22 AM »

and i said you are stupid i dnot did nothing to you yet you speak to me like i shoot you in the head or something. if you was trying to write in hebrew and have errors i sure i  was not make laughing on you.. i "sure" you have many freinds that love dont worry i happy to have the right   not  write in place that have inhuman persons like you in them
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 11:59:32 AM »

Quote from: "blackthirteen"
Kindom Hearts 2 is surprizingly amazing. #1 choice for a story-driven game. The story is captiving and there are cinematics at every screen transition.

I'm afraid I can't agree. KH2 was a monumental disappointment. Not only did they ruin all the buildup from the previous two games (KH and KH:CoM), they introduced a myriad of retarded as hell Deus Ex Machinas as well as a bevy of characters that were less developed than villains on Dragon Ball Z. KH2 is played mainly for the gameplay. The story is an awful mess.

oh great now i read that suikoden v use a mute hero that i "choose what he said" wow!! in short it mean forgettable hero and a buch of shallow characters that didnt get development it seems a game that have nothing to it beside the challenge to collect 108 characters not thanks pokemon did it better im not buying it.

You are the bigest retard ever. The main character may be a silent hero, but he is developed excellently by the reactions of the characters around him. And there may be 108 characters, but a vast number of them are developed in an amazing way. I think you just hate the RPGs because your English skills are worse than a dyslexic 6-year-old's.

As to the topic at hand, FFXII is amazing. The way the story is told and how it unfolds is great. It drops a bit at the end, but it's a very consistent story all around.

Suikoden V is also a very good character driven story; one of the very few games that actually make you give a damn about the characters and what they're feeling. If you want a good story, then Suikoden V has the magic you're looking for. But don't expect too difficult of a time finishing the game, it's easy as sin.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 12:06:10 PM »

and i said you are stupid i dnot did nothing to you yet you speak to me like i shoot you in the head or something. if you was trying to write in hebrew and have errors i sure i  was not make laughing on you.. i "sure" you have many freinds that love dont worry i happy to have the right   not  write in place that have inhuman persons like you in them

He said "Broken english aside"...meaning "I am going to ignore and try to get around your lack of knowledge of english"

Even if your english was perfect you would still make little sense. Just because the character is mute does not make it shit. Just because there are 108 characters doesn't make it so there is no character development. Before you judge a game, why don't you try fucking playing it, asshat. Suikoden V is one of the best fucking games on the system.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 12:22:40 PM »

[quote="Leyviur.

You are the bigest retard ever. The main character may be a silent hero, but he is developed excellently by the reactions of the characters around him. And there may be 108 characters, but a vast number of them are developed in an amazing way. I think you just hate the RPGs because your English skills are worse than a dyslexic 6-year-old's.

leyviur what i can to say to you i just hurt from the button of my heart from how you and the what his name.. dont care less about persons that try to be part from this site and by the way get better in english. such smart person as you need to know that it not happend in one night ... i

totally accept that you love suikoden v but you can said what you have to without  hurt the person you speak to maybe i wil learn something from your opinion and that what i search??? anyway just to let you know my

favorite genre is rpg and within it xenogears is the most if it seems to you like someone that hate rpg? ps. my reading english skill is much much better than my write there are many words i know when i read and dont success to remember how to wirte them in perfect so i dnot use them .. it something that i know the time wil solve
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: