Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:26:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332847 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade  (Read 61972 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »

It's time for a thread dedicated exclusively to this game. People who played the japanese version say it's the best jrpg of this gen. European version hits stores this week.

Reviews are extremely positive, lowest I've seen is 9/10.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQppye_A7yg

I'm incredibly excited for this. Everything looks perfect except the character designs which unfortunately are atrocious.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »

IGN has a new review for it
Apparently it is nothing short of spectacular!

Wilsongt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »

Time to save up the money and import while giving a constant finger to NoA.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:10 PM »

Finally! I have a good feeling about this one.

IGN has a new review for it
Apparently it is nothing short of spectacular!

Best JRPG in the past 5 years? I doubt that's the case.
Best JRPG this gen? That's not saying much :P

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:19:58 PM »

I'm still curious to see whether NoA may pull it out of their sleeves yet or not. Maybe I'll just wait to hear sales figures before I do anything.

... And that graphics bit in the IGN review's pretty dumb. Yeah, it's probably 7.0 compared to the HD consoles, but shouldn't the ideal for reviews to be relative to a platform and what's available there? I can buy 7.0 compared to, say, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns, or even how Skyward Sword is shaping up, but saying "it's the best the system can do" then slamming a 7.0 on it, uhh, wouldn't you have to start limiting portable graphics to 5.0 at the highest or something?
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »

I always take IGN's reviews with a shaker of salt, and this game probably won't be a system seller for me.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 10:37:03 PM »

I'm still curious to see whether NoA may pull it out of their sleeves yet or not. Maybe I'll just wait to hear sales figures before I do anything.

... And that graphics bit in the IGN review's pretty dumb. Yeah, it's probably 7.0 compared to the HD consoles, but shouldn't the ideal for reviews to be relative to a platform and what's available there? I can buy 7.0 compared to, say, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns, or even how Skyward Sword is shaping up, but saying "it's the best the system can do" then slamming a 7.0 on it, uhh, wouldn't you have to start limiting portable graphics to 5.0 at the highest or something?

Yeah I found the bit about the graphics to be freaking hilarious. Other parts of the review felt amateurish as well.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »

IGN has a record of liking something to "sound cool" and not liking it for "sounding cool" as well, so maybe they're just saying it's awesome to make people like them. I'm not saying the game is bad or anything but like most here, I take most of their reviews with a grain of salt. But hey, this is their UK team, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:31:32 AM »

Yeah I found the bit about the graphics to be freaking hilarious. Other parts of the review felt amateurish as well.

It's IGN, it's going to be amateurish.

Anyway, I've got it pre-ordered, and my Wii modded, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 02:44:09 AM »

Besides, the Aesthetics are great. Sure they skipped out on some details (no fancy shadow/lighting effects for instance), but as a whole the game looks amazing. The colours are beautifull and I love how the game gives you a sense of scale. For instance, the second major area has some ledges you can stand on. Pick the right spot and you'll see the Mechonis in the background.

Anyway, if you like RPGs and have the means to play this, BUY IT.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 06:11:48 AM »

I thought the same when I read it but it's IGN.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 06:22:41 AM »

Eurogamer review 9/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-15-xenoblade-chronicles-review

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 07:49:14 AM »

Seems like everyone agrees that it is the best JRPG this gen. Can't wait to see for myself.

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 09:17:11 AM »

I was actually thinking about Xenoblade when I tried the demo for Alpha Kimori http://www.alphakimori.com

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 03:52:12 AM »

Its amazing! I played 20 minutes of it and its jawdropping. The battle system is VERY similar to FFXII which is ok with me because it keeps the player engaged in the world that they are in and doesnt take away from the sight seeing. There is a day/night system, I havent seen what it will attribute to yet, but I have seen that it will play a role in the relationship system. The relationships feel similar to Radiata Stories but on a grander scale. If the character likes you they might give you something or give you a side quest. The day/night, relationships, side quests, and loot systems all compliment each other very nicely. An example would be that an NPC wants a certain type of loot, so the NPC gives you a quest. Upon fulfilling that quest you build a relationship that NPC and complete a side quest. Everything in this game was very well thought out. The only reason that graphics look dated is because there are no specular or normal maps, meaning there are flat polygons with no shiny faces. Its not a deal breaker considering it gives the game a certain artistic appeal similar to an anime. All in all, great game. Hopefully they bring this beast to the states. If not, NoA is stupid.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: