Author Topic: Xenoblade

Lucca

• AMG A GIRL
  • SUGAR PEAS!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgcafe.net
Re: Xenoblade
« Reply #345 on: December 03, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »
For the people that have played the game, what makes it so good? Is it really one of the best JRPGs in years?

Okay, here's how I can explain it:

First, the best way I can explain Xeno is that it has the story and look of a JRPG with the exploration and side questing of a western MMO. So even though you can go with the main storyline and be totally fine, you can just waste hours doing sidequests. The maps are expansive...there's just SO many areas to explore that you can just spend hours wandering the maps to discover everything (and you sometimes get bonuses for discovering secret places!). What's better though is while there's no transportation in the game besides walking, you can instantly transport using landmark markers. This cuts out on a LOT of backtracking.

The story itself is above average for a JRPG. The characters are really likable and you learn a lot about them by doing the optional heart to heart conversations. The affinity system encourages you to use certain party members (and each one is controllable by you and have very different play-styles) so you get better combo attacks. Doing sidequests raises affinaty in towns and you get better stuff via trading.

You use gems to customize equipment and stats, and that itself is expansive and offers lots of customization.

The scenery and music are AWESOME. The character models are kinda jaggy but the scenery is just so beautiful you sometimes really feel you're in the place. It's very immersive.

That's just what I can come up with. Other people will probably chime in with other awesome things as well. Don't hesitate -- you need this game.

Arhkaos

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 03, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »

One critical note to make here - the game is currently slated to come to the United States only.

What. The. Fuck.

What the tit?  That's racist to the red maple nation above!!! D:<

Import ...*sigh* from the States it is. =/
That's dickish if it's true...

Apparently we shoul be able to pre-order it directly from Nintendo here: http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Xenoblade?storeId=10001 . They are supposed to ship to Canada too! I also pre-ordered it from the US Gamestop website just to be sure!
I have fury!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 03, 2011, 02:34:09 PM »
For the people that have played the game, what makes it so good? Is it really one of the best JRPGs in years?

It's like Japan made Skyrim, only it takes place on two dead gods and you can dress up every playable female in a bikini.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #348 on: December 03, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »
It's like Japan made Skyrim, only it takes place on two dead gods and you can dress up every playable female in a bikini.

Correction, Melia always has to maintain her regal stature. If you put a bikini on her, it's a full single-piece bathing suit with ruffles and sashes. Doesn't stop her from being the most attractive female in the game, though.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 03, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »
Thanks for the impressions! Sounds perfect for me and I can't wait to play it.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Dade

• Rainbow Club Member
  • D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 03, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
I've heard the gameplay described as what FFXII wanted to be.
Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #351 on: December 03, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »
One other thing I will add to Lucca's original description, is that one of my major complaints to WRPGs is really not being able to truly craft alien and unreal environments. Even if they may be getting stylistically more outgoing, there's still some reservation. Xenoblade is truly a work of the alien and unreal. In a single map you'll scale mountains that feel higher than everest, jump off of floating islands (Skyward Sword style), cross gaping gorges on wooden bridges, and more. There are few games that reach the scale and scope of Xenoblade... Shadow of the Colossus being one of the few.

Yes, it has some characteristics that COULD be defined as western, but I'd like to think that it just takes all the best aspects of jRPGs, and blows them out of the water.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 04, 2011, 02:36:25 AM »

This pleases me greatly.

Lucca

• AMG A GIRL
  • SUGAR PEAS!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgcafe.net
« Reply #353 on: December 04, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »

Actually, this is fairly accurate.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 04, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »

I was going to play FFXII soon, but now that you said this it makes me want to wait for this instead.
"Oh, a hunter..."

ShadowLaguna

• Rattle your goddamn head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 04, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »
No. Play FFXII. You'll appreciate Xenoblade more. xD

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530

neogalahad

• View Profile
    • Portfolio - blog
« Reply #356 on: December 04, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »
No. Play FFXII. You'll appreciate Xenoblade more. xD

Thats for sure, if you like side quests...you are in for a treat! :)

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 04, 2011, 07:15:54 PM »
I do love the world of Ivalice and Sakimoto's music. I do have plenty of time to beat it before Xenoblade comes out too.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #358 on: December 05, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »
One critical note to make here - the game is currently slated to come to the United States only.
What. The. Fuck.

Write a petition.  Heh.

Anyone care to elaborate more on this?  I actually really liked the MMO-esque combat of FF12.  Kind of interested in hearing your guys thoughts opposed to googling.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 06, 2011, 02:41:35 AM »
What. The. Fuck.

Write a petition.  Heh.

Anyone care to elaborate more on this?  I actually really liked the MMO-esque combat of FF12.  Kind of interested in hearing your guys thoughts opposed to googling.

From what I've seen in the media thus far, the basic combat is handled like FFXII in its MMOish way but instead of trying commands to a clumsy menu at the bottom of the screen a customizable bar is located at the bottom with extra commands located there for more direct access. Also character have some sort of relationship thing going on where characters react to others in the party which does stuff to their combat proficiency. I'm not sure if Gambits are in or not but I didn't see anything in regards to Mist Knacks or Summons so it at least has that going for it.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.