Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 11:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331543 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade  (Read 60973 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #675 on: August 08, 2014, 05:58:09 PM »

I have a backlog of games and decided to watch the story/dialogue cut-scenes on Youtube to get the story without having to go through the gameplay (I got stuck on a boss and didn't feel like grinding more to level). Unless I farted around too much in my play-time, it seems that the story doesn't pick up until the middle of the game (around 30/40 or so hours).  I think the story should already be fleshed out more by that hour mark, not starting up. Upon the completion of my viewing on Youtube, I believe the main thrust of the story was dragged out and could have been covered in a more timely manner. I also think the characters seem kind of mediocre aside from the "heart-to-heart" interaction. With that said, I have found myself wanting to play through the game rather than being glad that I didn't waste any more time on it.

The gameplay and open-ish map is like...half the wonder though.  I kinda got sick of other RPGs giving tiny world maps and dungeons.  A Zelda cutscene-only video would probably the most boring thing to watch ever; but since you play "adventurer" for the entire game you love it for that instead.  There's also some good story in the non-cinematic bits; the quests do quite a bit with respect to world building. 

I do agree otherwise that Xenoblade is a slow-to-warm-up title.  I gave it up too when I was in the middle of school and just didn't wanna deal with it.  But now it's in my Top 10 for almost all it managed to do.  A lot of that really depends how fast you progress in the title of course since there is so much questing.  And while it starts slow, I think it follows a lot of the JRPG story pattern where they sprinkle in bits and pieces of terms/themes/spoilery things you only HEAR ABOUT till it's fleshed out in the end-game (Shulk's visions literally spoiling the next 40 hours of gameplay at least); then you get those moments like "why the fuck does Alvis know how to work the Monado?" or "What's the full story with Sword Valley".  The game had a big world with a big story to tell, and [I think it] did its best not to rush it.

Easily though, the story really kicks it into full gear when you're on the Mechonis.

The issue with the game's plot is that the first half is all about climbing the Bionis at your own pace. Compare and contrast to something like Xenosaga 1 where your party is constantly moving to new and different locations for the entire game (except for the Elsa, the Durandal and the Foundations locations), and you're constantly getting pushed forward at the pace the game wants you to take. If things are moving slow and nothing's happening, then you're stuck until you advance the plot enough to trigger the next event. If you missed something and want to go back, hope you saved right before that part and hope you don't have too many unskippable cutscenes along the way. And the only way to double back is to hop into a specific type of Save Point or ride your ship back to the previous town. In Xenoblade, plot happens as you advance through the game, but rarely does the game ever say that you can't go back somewhere and usually that's because your party is stuck somewhere due to plot or because its a part of the Mechonis that just got blewd up.

Xenoblade's biggest problem is that, for as many sidequests as it has, there's not that many (more than most games but ratio-wise to what you encounter in XBC its kinda lacking) that end with a worthwhile payoff beyond getting more Exp and relationship boosts (and you might not want all that Exp since you don't get AP or SP for your efforts and the things that do give you AP/SP scale based upon your level).

Also, the narrative structure makes a whole lot more sense if you think of it as an anime series. The shit that goes down in Colony 9 is the hook that pulls you past the three episode test; Bionis Leg/Colony 6 is the part to tide you over while the show does its world building/cast introductions; The Knee, the Swamp Ass and the Mossy Backside are the monster of the week crap that's unfortunately necessary for what's coming up next; pretty much everything to do with the High Entia is the 'those fucking Elves' arc that JRPGs have more often than not (although they're not even kinda annoying in this game because XBC is just that awesome and because they don't exist to waste everybody's time before their inevitable punking/disappearance off the face of the plot like most cases do) and is the series midpoint where the show game finally starts explaining what's going on and the villains return to the plot; which marks the midseason change up complete with the heroes getting trashed, the subsequent midseason upgrade, the reveal of the main villain for the next plot arc (with a guest appearance by the show game's actual big bad) and the plot twists that change the show game's theme for the rest of the show game; then from there the plot picks up as you finally start dealing with the villain's faction; first by having a showdown with arc 1's big bad who's now demoted to midboss status on Valek Mountain, then by revisiting the Swords' battlefield seen in the prologue, then a direct assault on the villain's stronghold to rescue someone/fight the current big bad that kinda ends badly but the rescue went well, then you hit the 'Village of the Ancients' that have people more in the know as to what's going on than the aforementioned elves were (making their, thankfully minimal, previous asshattery a largely moot and misleading point) while also getting their side of the story, then its basically the Mechonis proper which is treated mostly as a straight up siege while the big battle happens off screen; then you get to the end, fight the 2nd arc's big bad in a proper showdown, then you have what happens in most anime (and usually done badly) that guy who showed up during the midseason change up shows up again, turns out to be the real big bad all along, sending the plot reeling off the rails with powerlevel bullshit and metaphors being expressed with lazorbeemz, and a bunch of other stuffs that are massive spoilers.

The tl;dr is that Xenoblade's plot is what everybody said it was back when they first played it, it focuses on getting the essentials right rather than making itself part 5 of a one or two part series.

How far do you need to get in the game before you have characters friendly enough to open up the Heart to Hearts? I'm on the hand and I don't think I've unlocked a single one, besides the mandatory one with Hermione at the start.

Unfortunately most H2Hs require high levels of affection and consist of mostly unique pairings so you can't just focus on one or two couples and hope to see more than 5. Additionally, some H2Hs require the crossing of certain plot points, the two biggest ones are getting Seven and that endgame clusterfuck I mentioned earlier in this post (basically the point where the final arc starts).

That said, the absolute fastest way to grind up Supports is to fight a particular UM in an Endgame region of Eryth Sea. The dude looks like a horse and has a Spike Effect of putting attackers to Sleep. Stick the guy/gal you want to build up Supports with, load em down with Spike Resistance Gems/Skills, make sure the other guys don't have Spike Resistance at all (or as low as it can go if its someone like Dunban who learns a Spike Resistance Skill), then take control of the Spike Resist guy/gal and have the other goobers put themselves to sleep on the UM, wake and repeat, bail if necessary or if the enemy looks like its about to die then mosey off somewhere and come back with a new set of people and do it all over again. You can theoretically do this when you first get to Eryth Sea but its honestly better to wait until the third arc since you wont have to worry about getting creamed by anything that looks at you funny.

If you don't want to go through all the bullshit listed above (or you've already terminated that particular UM as I don't think it respawns), just fight a pack of red nametag enemies and have Sharla around because you'll want to drag things out instead of actually winning fights (although winning fights have their own perks too).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #676 on: August 08, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »

although winning fights have their own perks too

Dang you mean I'm NOT supposed to suicide in every battle?

THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #677 on: August 29, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »

http://rpgfan.com/news/2014/1927.html

Great news for fans who missed out on Xenoblade the first time around on the Wii with the limited international (& U.S.) release. I remember hearing the game was going for close to $100 USD when copies ran out.  I played over 100+ hours on Xenoblade and if this game is released before Xenoblade Chronicles X it'll def. hold me up before the sequel comes out.

The bad news? The game won't play on existing 3DS, 3DSXL models. Like the RPGfan articles says, we'll all have to upgrade for the needed CPU power boost improvement. I do like the look of the new 3DS and 3DSXL (called 3DS LL in Japan), especially with this multi-colored buttons which is a nice salute to Super Nintendo controllers of my childhood, but I just bought my first 3DSXL in February. I'm hoping GameStop or some other company has a trade in/upgrade to incentive so I can replay this amazing title again on a portable console.

In other news Nintendo Direct this morning also featured a trailer for Shulk's appearance in the upcoming Smash Bros Brawl for 3DS and Wiii U. Pretty faithful adaption, but I think his eyes/face look a little off from his Xenoblade Chronicles look, but I'm just being a little nitpicky here. I can't wait to play this game with my ol' high school buddies when we get together.

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
glassjawsh
will argue out of boredom

"You're pretty punk, Steve" - Dolphin

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #678 on: August 29, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

http://rpgfan.com/news/2014/1927.html

Great news for fans who missed out on Xenoblade the first time around on the Wii with the limited international (& U.S.) release. I remember hearing the game was going for close to $100 USD when copies ran out.  I played over 100+ hours on Xenoblade and if this game is released before Xenoblade Chronicles X it'll def. hold me up before the sequel comes out.

The bad news? The game won't play on existing 3DS, 3DSXL models. Like the RPGfan articles says, we'll all have to upgrade for the needed CPU power boost improvement. I do like the look of the new 3DS and 3DSXL (called 3DS LL in Japan), especially with this multi-colored buttons which is a nice salute to Super Nintendo controllers of my childhood, but I just bought my first 3DSXL in February. I'm hoping GameStop or some other company has a trade in/upgrade to incentive so I can replay this amazing title again on a portable console.

In other news Nintendo Direct this morning also featured a trailer for Shulk's appearance in the upcoming Smash Bros Brawl for 3DS and Wiii U. Pretty faithful adaption, but I think his eyes/face look a little off from his Xenoblade Chronicles look, but I'm just being a little nitpicky here. I can't wait to play this game with my ol' high school buddies when we get together.

Makes me wonder if Xenoblade Chronicles will be to the 3DS what the Last of US was to the PS3 (read: a game so can't miss, that I buy the whole system just so I can play it)  Though maybe it'd just be easier to buy a Wii.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:39:19 PM by glassjawsh » Logged

You're wrong, Frank. I'm not a kid, I'm a man. I am gonna get you better, and then I'm going to beat you to death!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #679 on: August 29, 2014, 12:31:55 PM »

The 3ds is definitely the better buy if you don't have one already. The wii is competent, but mostly a joke in the long run, whereas the 3ds is still quite a viable option for gaming in general.

That being said, this new 3ds is stupid. It's like the dsi, completely retarded and just asking for fans to get angry. They just released the 2ds this xmas past, and the 3ds xl a year prior. These aren't cell phones, people aren't gonna warrant the cash for each new iteratiom like nintendo thinks they are.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #680 on: August 29, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »

@glassjawsh: The 3DS just like PS3 has had way more than one big title at this point that has gotten new 'potential users' (that's what they call them) excited to buy the system(s).

While TLoU is good and a system seller, is hardly the reason I at least would recommend a PS3 considering the console having a decent variety of titles available right now, that to me is a good reason to get one, buying a system only for one solitary game is a waste in the long run. Same with the 3DS.

The 3ds is definitely the better buy if you don't have one already. The wii is competent, but mostly a joke in the long run, whereas the 3ds is still quite a viable option for gaming in general.

That being said, this new 3ds is stupid. It's like the dsi, completely retarded and just asking for fans to get angry. They just released the 2ds this xmas past, and the 3ds xl a year prior. These aren't cell phones, people aren't gonna warrant the cash for each new iteratiom like nintendo thinks they are.

glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #681 on: August 29, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »

@glassjawsh: The 3DS just like PS3 has had way more than one big title at this point that has gotten new 'potential users' (that's what they call them) excited to buy the system(s).

While TLoU is good and a system seller, is hardly the reason I at least would recommend a PS3 considering the console having a decent variety of titles available right now, that to me is a good reason to get one, buying a system only for one solitary game is a waste in the long run. Same with the 3DS.

Yes, but only if you never buy another game for it. I'm not an idiot, so I don't buy consoles when they first come out (why pay $600 for a system with a shit game library when you can pay less than half two years later?)  TLoU was the reason I finally made the jump to PS3, just like FFVII was why I bought a playstation with all my paper route money when I was in the 7th grade.  Systems' entire libraries are always tempting, but a lot of people still need that ONE exclusive title to push them over the edge (and then the flood gates open and I BUY ALL THE GAMES!!!!head asplode!!) I held out for a LONG time on the PSP (Ys SEVEN finally got me) and now it looks like I might finally have cave on the Vita (Virtue's Last Reward) and 3DS (Xenoblade).

The 3ds is definitely the better buy if you don't have one already. The wii is competent, but mostly a joke in the long run, whereas the 3ds is still quite a viable option for gaming in general

Wii: 2/10
will not bang.
got it

You're wrong, Frank. I'm not a kid, I'm a man. I am gonna get you better, and then I'm going to beat you to death!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #682 on: August 29, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »

Systems' entire libraries are always tempting, but a lot of people still need that ONE exclusive title to push them over the edge (and then the flood gates open and I BUY ALL THE GAMES!!!!head asplode!!) I held out for a LONG time on the PSP (Ys SEVEN finally got me) and now it looks like I might finally have cave on the Vita (Virtue's Last Reward) and 3DS (Xenoblade).

"Killer apps" are important in a business sense, but I only care about the quality of the titles and the system that are being offered since that at the end of the day is what counts the most in my experience.

Got a PS4 early. First time I do this with a console and I don't regret it.

Hopefully I can get around to get the new 3DS for Xenoblade and other games, but I've also been interested in getting more into PC gaming. And the problem with that, for me, is time and money.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #683 on: August 29, 2014, 04:09:58 PM »

::in best Riki voice:: "sigh... Riki owe lots of monies to Nintendo. If Riki defeat Dinobeast, Nintendo promise to forget my debts. So Riki like being Heropon!"

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #684 on: August 29, 2014, 04:41:50 PM »

Yes, but only if you never buy another game for it. I'm not an idiot, so I don't buy consoles when they first come out (why pay $600 for a system with a shit game library when you can pay less than half two years later?)  TLoU was the reason I finally made the jump to PS3, just like FFVII was why I bought a playstation with all my paper route money when I was in the 7th grade.  Systems' entire libraries are always tempting, but a lot of people still need that ONE exclusive title to push them over the edge (and then the flood gates open and I BUY ALL THE GAMES!!!!head asplode!!) I held out for a LONG time on the PSP (Ys SEVEN finally got me) and now it looks like I might finally have cave on the Vita (Virtue's Last Reward) and 3DS (Xenoblade).

The 3ds is definitely the better buy if you don't have one already. The wii is competent, but mostly a joke in the long run, whereas the 3ds is still quite a viable option for gaming in general

will not bang.
got it

I'm glad you think I'm an idiot for buying consoles early on. Bought almost all of my consoles early on and haven't regretted it once.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
glassjawsh

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #685 on: August 29, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »

will not bang.
got it

I'm glad you think I'm an idiot for buying consoles early on. Bought almost all of my consoles early on and haven't regretted it once.

Not trying to be rude but:

Saving thousands of dollars (and then turning around and using the money to buy more games)>playing them a few years earlier.

As the many many threads on here seem to indicate, we all have enough backlogs on older systems to keep us occupied while we wait for prices to drop to a more manageable level.

Of course there is an argument for purchasing things early on in order to perpetuate the gaming industry as whole (or at least the parts we all enjoy), but I don't think sony and microsoft and nintendo need my dollars to survive so I'll leave that part to you and pocket the extra cash.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:30:28 PM by glassjawsh » Logged

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #686 on: August 29, 2014, 06:33:05 PM »

On the one hand, I'm not too broken up by the NEW 3DS announcement since I was stuck with an OG 3DS model and now I have an even better excuse to get an XL than just "Its better than vanilla 3DS.". On the other hand, the midgrade is kinda annoying since it means that the library is now going to get even more complicated to keep track of (think PS2 and how some of the oldest models couldn't read the encoding used on the dual layered DVDs vs. less backwards compatibility).

As for the Xenoblade port, my thoughts are that the plus side is that this should make doing all those hundreds upon hundreds of quests and Gem Crafting sessions much more palatable, but on the negative side is that I just don't think the 3DS screen can really do those large gorgeous vistas justice compared to your big screen TV.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #687 on: August 29, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »

I kind of agree that I think it's silly to buy a console Day 1.  But I say that because I'm poor too often to really have the extra money to toss at a think like that, however I've done it before (SNES, Dreamcast, 3DS).  I agree that the lineups aren't very ideal more often than not as well.  But I think it's people own prerogative with what they want to spend on; and it'd probably work against a system's utility and purpose if the ownership isn't very high because there weren't enough early adopting heroes.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #688 on: August 29, 2014, 07:26:16 PM »

As for the Xenoblade port, my thoughts are that the plus side is that this should make doing all those hundreds upon hundreds of quests and Gem Crafting sessions much more palatable, but on the negative side is that I just don't think the 3DS screen can really do those large gorgeous vistas justice compared to your big screen TV.

I saw a video. It... looks bad.

I'm hoping this is just an early version where all the existing resources were just downscaled to save time and they're going to redraw stuff later, but, uh...

XBC's crashed down to the 50 dollar range again, and used Wii's run about the same price now, which'll probably total less than the New 3DS, sooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Also I hope they don't start introducing SNES/N64 VC games for the New 3DS as exclusives. That'd be sort of bullshit a lot.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #689 on: August 29, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »

I can't afford a new model of 3DS.

Well, I guess I could, but I'm sick of Nintendo releasing new and improved versions every year. Makes me feel cheated.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: