Author Topic: Xenoblade

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Xenoblade
« Reply #690 on: August 29, 2014, 07:46:20 PM »
I can't afford a new model of 3DS.

Well, I guess I could, but I'm sick of Nintendo releasing new and improved versions every year. Makes me feel cheated.

Yeah I feel this.

I'm excited because I think I've liked or loved every 3DS game I've ever purchased; but I don't want to invest in another system (I do love the Super Famicon coloured buttons though...hooo-lee sheit I do).  I almost want to say I hope it doesn't catch on.  Are the specs better as well (fancy features aside)? 

This seems like a pretty rough sell otherwise; a chance that companies don't want to alienate older-model users so they can use the tiny analog nub and extra shoulder buttons.

I do admit a handheld version of one of my favourite games ever is STILL tempting too. But...
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #691 on: August 29, 2014, 09:30:46 PM »
I just bought a 3DS, and I'm in the middle of playing the Wii version of Xenoblade for the first time.  Don't need a new one of either.  I'll be just fine. 

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 29, 2014, 10:29:41 PM »
I just really hope they don't actually release the thing with the name "New 3DS," because if retailers thought parents were confused about the Wii U... hoo boy.

"I'd like a new 3DS"
"Do you mean a New 3DS or a regular 3DS that is new?"
"....wut,"

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 29, 2014, 10:54:51 PM »
^I've honestly come to think they do that on purpose to mess around with clueless parents and test the skills of the people of the store.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 30, 2014, 01:34:12 AM »
I just really hope they don't actually release the thing with the name "New 3DS," because if retailers thought parents were confused about the Wii U... hoo boy.

"I'd like a new 3DS"
"....wut,"

You'd think they learned their lesson, but no~ooo.

That said, at least most of the upgrades to the (god please don't let them stick with that) 'New' 3DS/XL can be found in the handful of peripherals released for the vanilla 3DS/XL. The only major outliers are the extra shoulder buttons and the amped processor (and the tracking 3D which looks really fucking sweet but isn't really necessary), in fact I think the nub is probably better on the Monster Hunter control stick than the 'New''s C-nipple (and the probability of the Amiibo reader being as relevant to games as the AR reader is to them is unfortunately high).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 30, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »

"I'd like a new 3DS"
"....wut,"

GameStop/EB Games:

Customer (Parent): Hi, I'd like to purchase a Nintendo DS for my son.
Employee: Are you after a 3DS or the original DS?
Customer: Um, the newest one, I think?
Employee: Oh, you'll want the 3DS then. So is that the New 3DS you're after, or the regular 3DS?
Customer: ... Sorry, what?
Employee: There's a New 3DS, but also an older 3DS. They... almost play the same games, not quite though.
Customer: The New one, then, I guess.
Employee: Oh, but there's also the 2DS. Let me show you the ten different bundles we have for them.

*20 minutes later*

Customer: Okay, i'll take a New 3DS in (insert decision on colour choice here).
Employee: Great. So did you want that New 3DS Pre-owned? Or just new?

le-sigh.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 30, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
Customer: Okay, i'll take a New 3DS in (insert decision on colour choice here).
Employee: Great. So did you want that New 3DS Pre-owned? Or just new?
Customer: New, please.
Employee: Okay, and would you like to sign up for our Power Up Rewards program?
Customer: No, thank you.
Employee: Are you sure?
Customer: Yes.

^- fixed that for ya

wrt new features, I have some concerns that the nub and extra shoulder buttons are going to be too crowded on there to feel comfortable. Also the face tracking for improved 3D is a good idea, buuuuuuuut the crux of that is, of all the 3DS games I've played, I only felt like ALbW and the Sega 3D Classics games actually used it in a way that looked nice.

Also this is edging uncomfortably close to what Sega was doing with the 32x and SegaCD.

Actually I'm more worried that incremental yearly updates to console hardware will become a thing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:30:32 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 30, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »
Actually I'm more worried that incremental yearly updates to console hardware will become a thing.

This.

it'll basically be hardware developers' response to shitty yearly updated games and the over priced near extrortive DLC content from lazy software companies like EA (who make a killing off of it)

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 31, 2014, 03:30:52 AM »
On the one hand, it's been four years since the 3DS launched so a new iteration doesn't seem that surprising.

On the other, when the DS XL came out, it wasn't a new iteration with more ram - it just had a bigger screen.

Has there been anything said about whether it will be compatiable with old 3DS games? What about DS games?
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 31, 2014, 03:46:31 AM »
On the other, when the DS XL came out, it wasn't a new iteration with more ram - it just had a bigger screen.

It's more like the DSi.

As for compatibility with DS and older 3DS games, I can't imagine they'd drop either. Backwards compatibility woth DS games should be easy and making a 3DS that can't play 3DS games is stupid.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 31, 2014, 05:03:30 AM »

It's more like the DSi.

As for compatibility with DS and older 3DS games, I can't imagine they'd drop either. Backwards compatibility woth DS games should be easy and making a 3DS that can't play 3DS games is stupid.

Or the Game Boy Color for us fogies.

As far as I recall from what I've heard about Backwards Compatibility so far, I think its namely DSiWare crap and DS games that had functions that no longer exist in modern 3DS consoles like support for the GBA slot that 'New' 3DS won't handle. If there are any 3DS exceptions to 'New' Super Mario Bros 3DS, its probably because the game was a poorly coded piece of crap to begin with.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 31, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »
I also feel like idk making an HD remaster + expansion to the original Xenoblade as a Wii U exclusive would've made a lot more sense.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 31, 2014, 07:35:52 PM »
On the one hand, it's been four years since the 3DS launched so a new iteration doesn't seem that surprising.

Has there been anything said about whether it will be compatiable with old 3DS games? What about DS games?
It'll be able to play everything the 3ds could, 3ds/DS games included. Only real difference is that it'll have exclusives of its own and any peripherals meant to fit the 3ds will no longer fit (such as the Pokemon Tretta thing)
"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 31, 2014, 08:12:43 PM »
It's more like the DSi.

That's the one I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember the name.

It's hard to say. This feels like a Wii->WiiU iteration upgrade. On the other hand, this could be a stopgap before they think about introducing their new handheld because they're waiting to integrate their next console with their next handheld, which they've talked about in the past.

What I want to know is whether 3DS games going forward are only going to be able to be played on the new machine or both.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 01, 2014, 01:11:58 AM »
I think the biggest difference between the Super3DS and the DSi is the fact that the DSi came out roughly five years into the DS's lifetime and didn't really have enough time to provide any meaningful contributions to the library (the only DSi only games that ever mattered on the system were Shantae 2, X-Scape and that freebie Four Swords port). Right now we're only in year 3 of the 3DS (maybe rolling over to year 4 soonish) and if Nintendo really doesn't want to shoot itself in the foot on this one, they need to lay off the iterations for the next year or two (of course that would have to involve the Wii U sucking less financially speaking).

As for what games are going to do what in the future, I have no idea. It really depends on how developers feel about the risk/reward of the increased horsepower of the Super3DS versus the larger install base of the OG3DS and how long Nintendo lets the Super3DS be its own thing versus straight up updating to the next generation device.