Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327990 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade  (Read 56793 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 08:34:20 AM »

The only reason that graphics look dated is because there are no specular or normal maps, meaning there are flat polygons with no shiny faces. Its not a deal breaker considering it gives the game a certain artistic appeal similar to an anime.

Plus, it's hardly ever that noticable. Sure, you might look at a fruit stall and think 'my, that fruit sure looks flat', but why the hell are you looking at the fruit in a fruit stall when you could be looking at

Look at how far you can see! No nasty fog or anything!

Well, al right, the faces look kind of weird up close, but the camera doesn't zoom in that much anyway. Most cutscenes don't show talking heads, they show spectaculair sword fights with bullet-time tricks, lots of shiny mecha, explosions and/or other stuff that qualifies at as awesome.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:53:33 AM by Tomara » Logged
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 10:20:39 AM »

The only reason that graphics look dated is because there are no specular or normal maps, meaning there are flat polygons with no shiny faces. Its not a deal breaker considering it gives the game a certain artistic appeal similar to an anime.

Plus, it's hardly ever that noticable. Sure, you might look at a fruit stall and think 'my, that fruit sure looks flat', but why the hell are you looking at the fruit in a fruit stall when you could be looking at

Look at how far you can see! No nasty fog or anything!

Well, al right, the faces look kind of weird up close, but the camera doesn't zoom in that much anyway. Most cutscenes don't show talking heads, they show spectaculair sword fights with bullet-time tricks, lots of shiny mecha, explosions and/or other stuff that qualifies at as awesome.

O I totally agree with you, I was saying that its whatever that the game doesnt have those special effects implemented in the game. I was complimenting the fact that they could make a wonderful looking game without those added visuals.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »

And I was agreeing with you.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 01:28:27 PM »

You guys need to stop agreeing all the time!

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »

I'm trying to avoid reviews. I hear its good, but I don't want to get sucked into all this hype, because its bound to disappoint if I get my hopes up. I've already seen a few people mention that its being called the best jRPG this gen, but that bar is set quit low, so I'm not jumping for joy until I play it and decide its worth it. Needles to say, despite my scepticism, I am going to buy it fairly close to launch.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 02:33:34 PM »

Expect a great RPG and you'll be fine. It may not match your taste perfectly, but the quality is undeniable.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 02:42:34 PM »

Expect a great RPG and you'll be fine. It may not match your taste perfectly, but the quality is undeniable.

I did that with FFXIII look how far it got me. I'm playing it safe with this one.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »

Yeah, but... Final Fantasy XIII... I mean... Seriously, Final Fantasy XIII? Aside from whatever came out of Squeenix's hype machine, it wasn't all that big of a deal. The basic reaction was 'Oh, a new Final Fantasy. Looks nice and it's kind of fun, but why are we supposed to care?' With Xenoblade reviewers (including me) are all like 'This is awesome and way better than those silly Final Fantasy games that got the genre in this rut'.
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »

And I was agreeing with you.

I AGREE!!! jk
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 01:47:41 AM »

You guys need to stop agreeing all the time!

Agreed.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 02:00:00 AM »

I'm trying to avoid reviews. I hear its good, but I don't want to get sucked into all this hype, because its bound to disappoint if I get my hopes up. I've already seen a few people mention that its being called the best jRPG this gen, but that bar is set quit low, so I'm not jumping for joy until I play it and decide its worth it. Needles to say, despite my scepticism, I am going to buy it fairly close to launch.

Unless the reviews were on the level of Beyond the Beyond, I was going to buy it regardless of reviews. I'm not going to even bother reading them, because I made up my mind long ago.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:01:58 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 08:08:19 AM »

Unless the reviews were on the level of Beyond the Beyond, I was going to buy it regardless of reviews. I'm not going to even bother reading them, because I made up my mind long ago.

Same here. But everywhere I ago I see people mentioning 10s and 9s...

I've gotta admit, it kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »

Joystiq posted a very detailed article on how to hack your Wii to disable region locking in order to play Xenoblade Chronicles.  I won't like to it (though it's pretty easy to find...) but I think it's quite interesting that a large, mainstream site like that would go that far.

Reviews are really positive, too.  91 on Metacritic.

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »

Joystiq posted a very detailed article on how to hack your Wii to disable region locking in order to play Xenoblade Chronicles.  I won't like to it (though it's pretty easy to find...) but I think it's quite interesting that a large, mainstream site like that would go that far.

Reviews are really positive, too.  91 on Metacritic.

Do you have the link to the Joystiq site? I'm seriously considering disabling my region lock.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. Worth looking into, as it tells where you can buy the game as well.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:38:57 PM by Lucca » Logged

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 12:35:54 AM »

Well Gamespot's review today has made me violent.

Fuck you, Nintendo. Make this available to everyone. It's not like "Generic Crap Game A" that didn't get brought to EU. This game is apparently something VERY SPECIAL. I swear to god if this isn't released in the US I'm going to hunt down Reggie and stuff a Pikachu doll down his throat.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: