Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 10:00:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 48 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade  (Read 63164 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2011, 04:04:11 PM »

I mean the tone, not the actual events. The story is bleaker than hell,

Code:
main characters have already died

But ~10 hours in, it's still treated as a fantasy epic, instead of the deadpan somber thelosophy phest that Xenosaga and Xenogears were.

Like I said, enjoy it while it lasts.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2011, 06:50:42 PM »

Does it reach that point, like in Xenogears when the story gets so convuluted it's almost impossible to follow without falling asleep ?

I'm just 3 hours in (nothing, I know) but so far I'm enjoying it ( “while it lasts” ).

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2011, 02:51:04 AM »

Like I said, enjoy it while it lasts.

Which could be 40-80 hours, depending on playstyle.

Does it reach that point, like in Xenogears when the story gets so convuluted it's almost impossible to follow without falling asleep ?

Nothing that bad. There's this 'the real enemy is...!' moment you might not like. There are also one or two dungeons in the later half of the game that aren't all that great. No one sitting on a chair with a cross swinging in the background, thank god.

Actually... I thought the grand plottwist had a bit more in common with the one in
Code:
Star Ocean 3
and than ones in the Xeno-games. It just isn't nearly as bad.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: October 19, 2011, 07:49:43 AM »

I'm just 3 hours in (nothing, I know) but so far I'm enjoying it ( “while it lasts” ).

Unfortunately it goes downhill really fast in the last third of the game and to top it off the ending presents you with one of the most ridiculous plot twists ever. Expect everything you are used to see in Xeno games towards the end of the game. It's a damn shame, it really looked like they were going to manage to write a good story while keeping it simple.
Like I said a few pages back, if the game actually ended after a certain boss fight around the 40-50 hour mark the game would've been a lot better.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: October 19, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »

Yep, I find myself in agreement with CDFN towards the end of the game, and I said as much in my review. It's a damn shame.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: October 19, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »

I swear this game is begging me to downscore it. I'm sick of all these damn cheap bosses.

Code:
I'm up to that traitor Lorithia now. And her damn spheres. I'm watching a Youtube video where they beat her with Shulk at Level 73, and I'm Level 74. I feel like I suck at this game.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: October 28, 2011, 02:33:43 PM »

I finally started playing this title and lemme just say.... wow no one was kidding when they said it was the best JRPG be released in some time.... I'm totally astounded actually and am posting this for the sole purpose of saying for anyone stateside, such as myself, who has been considering foregoing taking measure to play the Euro version to stop procrastinating and do it! It is totally worth it... I'm not one to usually go through such trouble to play a single title when so many others are available, some of which I'm still occupied with, but this case is an exception.... It is absolutely worth the hassle of finding a way to play, especially if you are a xeno-fan.

Now that aside the only problem is to figure out how to manage my time an acomodate finishing disgaea 4.... then again disgaea is never really finished now is it?

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »

After waiting a good three weeks for shipping, I finally got Xenoblade today! Now to make my wii love every region and not be such a tightass :o

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: October 29, 2011, 01:28:36 PM »

After waiting a good three weeks for shipping, I finally got Xenoblade today! Now to make my wii love every region and not be such a tightass :o

I love how you phrased that....

And on a completely different note....  holy heck are there side-quests! Just fully exploring and trying to complete as many quests as possible in the first city without advancing the story took hours... I think this game could prove dangerous for someone as obsessive-compulsive as myself....

And while I never thought I'd say it... the end of disgaea 4 is gonna have to wait a moment.... I'm way too into this....

....ok I will try to curb my non-contributing rant of how much I am appreciating this title now.... I just can't help it though, I haven't felt so excited by a title since the days of Snes and Ps1.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:43:54 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »

Please, continue. :) Game deserves it.

And yes, a lot of side quests. You might get tired of them half way through like I did, but I know some people just can't leave them alone and I imagine it is very satisfying. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2011, 11:10:53 PM »

I love how you phrased that.... .

Hahaha, what can I say? I have a dirty mind.

I managed to crack my wii's sweet virgin self (Oh, naughty!) and I'm hoping to play Xenoblade later tonight.

Edit: And it works! Hooray! Give me a bit of time and I'll be able to finally join this conversation!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:32:53 PM by Lucca » Logged

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »

The fact that some people actually do all the sidequests blows my mind. I can see the total playtime easily going to 120 hours or more, it gets really repetitive after a while.

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: October 30, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »

The fact that some people actually do all the sidequests blows my mind. I can see the total playtime easily going to 120 hours or more, it gets really repetitive after a while.

I wanted to ask, but didn't want to poke around the net for fear of spoilers, will I be missing out on much if I don't complete every material and monster quest??.... Because as you stated its a little over the top.... well over a dozen sidequests available in the first city, within the first hour of gameplay is just madness.... utter madness I say.... If the sidequest volume stays high like that throughout even I, despite my neurotic nature, may have to forego a few...

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: October 30, 2011, 03:12:18 PM »

I wanted to ask, but didn't want to poke around the net for fear of spoilers, will I be missing out on much if I don't complete every material and monster quest??.... Because as you stated its a little over the top.... well over a dozen sidequests available in the first city, within the first hour of gameplay is just madness.... utter madness I say.... If the sidequest volume stays high like that throughout even I, despite my neurotic nature, may have to forego a few...

If it stays high?! You have no idea, there are hundreds, literally. As for missing out, towards the end of the game there will be a place where doing sidequests actually has consequences, you'll know when you get there. As for the rest you'll miss out on the rewards obviously and there's also that thing about improving your relationship with the NPCs. There are some secret bosses as well but I never checked how to fight them, after spending 80 hours with the game I was pretty much ready to move on, maybe I'll go back to it to complete some of the sidestuff.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: October 30, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »

400 sidequests or so, yep.

The ones you'll want to do are the ones from named NPC's. Those actually add something to the story or atleast let you learn something new about a town or certain characters. The rewards are pretty good too.

As for the material and monsters quests, start them, but don't worry about them. If you spend some time exploring you'll complete most of them automatically.

Also, most sidequests from named NPC's are designed to help you explore whole area's bit by bit, so doing quests is something you do along the way, not something you go out of your way for.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 48 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: