Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 06:33:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332008 Posts in 13600 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade  (Read 61472 times)
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »

Okay, I played a good two hours today. Without meaning to. You know a game is good when you don't even realize two hours went by.

I love the battle system. Love love love it.

The music is also amazing. I get into battles just to hear the battle music. Does that make me weird?

You guys weren't kidding about the sidequests! I think I spent two days game time just zooming around with Fiora trying to get through some side quests. I only got through maybe a third of them...and they JUST KEEP COMING. I'm still beating my head over the whole biscuit sidequest with the grandmother. I can't find that stupid kid, and I've looked all over the residental district! Ugh!

At least I didn't listen to the rabbit thing who said there was nothing interesting behind his house. Screw you, kid! That's practically screaming, "Go search there!"

Finally, I love how the armor changes the character model. I squeed when I saw that Regina's armor made Shulk look like an armored emo teen. :D

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: October 31, 2011, 05:13:42 AM »

I can't find that stupid kid, and I've looked all over the residental district! Ugh!

IIRC he shows up at night and stands in a corner (when you enter the residential area from the bridge, take the path on the left side) punching the air.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: October 31, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »

He's punching a tree.
Cubey

vortexlisa
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: November 02, 2011, 06:04:48 AM »

Use it with Xenoblade, seriously.

Anyway, finished the game at last! Saw the ending coming from a mile away but that's probably the reason why I enjoyed it this much. Now I feel a sudden urge to listen to the Xenogears OST...
Really? D: What aspect...?

Code:
I mean I don't think I'd have seen the satellite thing coming... or anything. I kind of guessed Fiora would be all homs again when they were doing
the first person view
with her, either way I really loved the ending. Maybe I just haven't played enough big RPG's to see stuff like that coming yet...

I kinda enjoyed the later 'plottwists' (yeah, like we didn't see those coming...)
I... I didn't...

Code:
But I did say, so it's the destroy the world to create a new one plot again xD but it didn't bother me. :P I really didn't think it'd turn into that though...

They should've learned from the mistakes they made with xenogearss, that's what makes it so frustrating. It could've been just about a conflict between different races living on 2 dead titans but noooooo, let's through everything and the kitchen sink at it.
I don't know, I get kind of disappointed when things go fully straight forward, perhaps they could have taken another direction though.

Finally finished it. Unfortunately what seemed like a simple and effective story ended up falling into the same traps of the previous Xeno games, with completely unnecessary and sometimes even ridiculous plot twist and revelations.
It would've been better if the game had ended after the fight with
Code:
Egil, all this BS about killing Gods that has been done hundreds of times was completely unnecessary imo. The final hours became a drag, the game was constantly teasing
 the showdown against Dickson only to throw generic boss after generic boss at you.

That revelation the game throws at you during the ending sequence is downright offensive.

Code:
So the whole universe the game takes place in was created by a crazy experiment on a space station in the future of our world?
And the titans are just the 2 crazy scientists that conducted the experiment? Really?

Code:
I dunno, I kinda liked the revelation. I'm crazy so I just imagined "Yeah.. I can see that being what really happens to us in the end" xD;

The final hours were fun, although I admit I thought this must be the end multiple times, I beat Egil then Zanza came out and I thought okay
this must be it, the final part.. then it just continued.. lol, but I like it when an RPG makes me constantly guess when the end is, I don't like to know how far I am from it
ever.

Thinking back on the final boss, I guess it was a little dull, they could have done something a bit more special for it.

Anyway, I think I'm done quoting old posts about the end now. xD;

So I'm new here... really been loving Xenoblade and I'm up to about 124 hours, I just finished Colony 6, although it's stuck at 85%
Code:
because I need to beat some level 99 dragon first... D:

I finished the story about 119 hours in at level 80, I've taken a break recently since finishing it but now I'm starting to get back into it to do things I missed, I could do them in a new game plus, but I don't want to lose all my finished quests...

I've also been wondering, the maximum level is 99. the maximum monster level is 120... how am I supposed to hit a level 120 monster if I can't beat a level 99 monster at level 82.. I can't even hit the thing...

But yeah, sorry for the super long post.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:22:11 AM by Cubey » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: November 02, 2011, 07:13:12 AM »

I... I didn't...

Spoilers for Xenogears and Xenoblade. And maybe some Xenosaga. I don't know yet.

Code:
One of the big plottwist from Xenogears was where the Wels came from and what they were used for.
Turns out they were humans transformed to serve as parts of biomechanical supercomputer Deus.
Teletheia were... well, that too. Kind of. Atleast there were no sewers in Xenoblade.

Because of the whole 'humans are just a bigger part of a larger whole, screw them' thing the world were reset multiple times by its maker. In Xenogears' case it was Myang who re´ncarnated again and again to manipulate human civilisation and destroy it if needed, like when it became too advanced to serve its purpose.
Both the Xenogears and Xenoblade (and Xenosaga) ending have the heroes put an end to the endless resets so they can build their own future.

Also, guess whose fault it is the gameworld ended up all crazy in the first place? Those damn people from Earth.

Oh, and then there's those nopon! Xenogears had those stupid Chuchu things. They were cute and cuddly and loved their vices.
They were also really close to the planet and prefered a more natural way of living.
The nopon are like that too.

As for the 'the real enemy is...!' twist, lots of RPGs have those.
Always be prepared to be backstabbed by your own god/employer/planet/guardian/whatever.
Cubey

vortexlisa
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: November 02, 2011, 07:23:13 AM »

I... I didn't...

Spoilers for Xenogears and Xenoblade. And maybe some Xenosaga. I don't know yet.

Code:
One of the big plottwist from Xenogears was where the Wels came from and what they were used for.
Turns out they were humans transformed to serve as parts of biomechanical supercomputer Deus.
Teletheia were... well, that too. Kind of. Atleast there were no sewers in Xenoblade.

Because of the whole 'humans are just a bigger part of a larger whole, screw them' thing the world were reset multiple times by its maker. In Xenogears' case it was Myang who re´ncarnated again and again to manipulate human civilisation and destroy it if needed, like when it became too advanced to serve its purpose.
Both the Xenogears and Xenoblade (and Xenosaga) ending have the heroes put an end to the endless resets so they can build their own future.

Also, guess whose fault it is the gameworld ended up all crazy in the first place? Those damn people from Earth.

Oh, and then there's those nopon! Xenogears had those stupid Chuchu things. They were cute and cuddly and loved their vices.
They were also really close to the planet and prefered a more natural way of living.
The nopon are like that too.

As for the 'the real enemy is...!' twist, lots of RPGs have those.
Always be prepared to be backstabbed by your own god/employer/planet/guardian/whatever.

Oh wow I guess I see what you mean now... makes me think he's trying to say something.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: November 02, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »

I think he's been trying to tell the same basic story since 1997 or so and that Xenoblade is the first successful attempt. Let's hope he leaves it at that and tries to tell a new story next time.

Oh and Dunban is the new Jin. But unlike Jin, Dunban was blessed with a younger sister who isn't an insufferable twat.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: November 02, 2011, 08:57:22 AM »

Yeah, like I said, too many similarities, makes you think that they can't come up with something new. The premise was so promising, I don't get how it ended up being basically a rehash of the other games.
The worst thing is that plot twist at the end, it's so random and farfetched. I mean, think about it, it doesn't make any sense at all.

Code:
What the hell were they trying to achieve and who would authorize something like that?
Some random scientist builds a satelite and with the push of a button destroys the universe? WTF?
And why where those 2 turned into gods and not anyone else, even the other people on the satelite?

I've never seen something so random and poorly explained. Fortunately the game is pretty much perfect in every other aspect but it's a shame about the story, specially considering the fact that it starts really well. People are just giving it a pass because the game is so good, I've seen a lot of stories that aren't as bad get a lot more hate.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Cubey

vortexlisa
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: November 02, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »

Code:
What the hell were they trying to achieve and who would authorize something like that?
Some random scientist builds a satelite and with the push of a button destroys the universe? WTF?
And why where those 2 turned into gods and not anyone else, even the other people on the satelite?
Code:
I guessed it was cause they were by the.. button? ... and Maineth grabbed Klus..
But I guess that doesn't make much sense either! I hate liking things then going back to think about it
and then it makes less sense than it seemed to before lol.

I wonder about many things authorized in real life really, but I guess if this was real they'd never have
left it down to one button press... it would be more something like you get with a nuclear missile.

Okay then... so can I ask what makes this his first successful attempt exactly? Having missed the other games.. is it to do with sales or something else?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: November 02, 2011, 12:53:12 PM »

Code:
Code:
I guessed it was cause they were by the.. button? ... and Maineth grabbed Klus..
But I guess that doesn't make much sense either! I hate liking things then going back to think about it
and then it makes less sense than it seemed to before lol.

I wonder about many things authorized in real life really, but I guess if this was real they'd never have
left it down to one button press... it would be more something like you get with a nuclear missile.

Okay then... so can I ask what makes this his first successful attempt exactly? Having missed the other games.. is it to do with sales or something else?

I'm not the one who said that. I don't think it was successful at all.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: November 02, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »

Xenogears had major pacing and budget problems. The second disc consisted mostly of characters sitting on a chair telling the players about the dungeons they went to and bosses they fought. It was also part of a bigger story, but they never really got to do anything with it.

Xenosaga... basically the same story. The project was a bigger, but again they had to cut the storyline short. Gameplay was a mess for most of the series, they switched artstyles every episode... The whole thing was a mess. Well, okay, Episode 3 was pretty cool, but you have to play through the first two games to really appreciate it.

Compare Xenoblade to that and Xenoblade comes out on top. No discussion there. It's a huge game, incredibly fun most of time and the story makes sense up until the last few cutscenes (it was the opposite in Xenogears and Xenosaga...). You could argue that story is fundamentally flawed (and I kind of agree), but I don't think they could have told it better.
Cubey

vortexlisa
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2011, 01:29:04 PM »

I'm not the one who said that. I don't think it was successful at all.
Sorry I meant that part at Tomara. x-x

Xenogears had major pacing and budget problems. The second disc consisted mostly of characters sitting on a chair telling the players about the dungeons they went to and bosses they fought. It was also part of a bigger story, but they never really got to do anything with it.

Xenosaga... basically the same story. The project was a bigger, but again they had to cut the storyline short. Gameplay was a mess for most of the series, they switched artstyles every episode... The whole thing was a mess. Well, okay, Episode 3 was pretty cool, but you have to play through the first two games to really appreciate it.

Compare Xenoblade to that and Xenoblade comes out on top. No discussion there. It's a huge game, incredibly fun most of time and the story makes sense up until the last few cutscenes (it was the opposite in Xenogears and Xenosaga...). You could argue that story is fundamentally flawed (and I kind of agree), but I don't think they could have told it better.

Interesting... it's always fun finding out stuff like that, least for me.

I think I'm out of questions now. :P Other than how do I hit monsters that are far higher level than me. lol.

Level up is the obvious answer, but when I can't level up no more there's still going to be higher stuff still. o_o;
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:31:21 PM by Cubey » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: November 02, 2011, 02:00:58 PM »

You didn't know about that stuff?
Anyway, I guess Tomara was talking about the fact that they actually managed to make the game like they originally planned, in that sense they were indeed successful, I'm talking about the story itself which in my opinion fell flat on its face.
I don't want to make any more negative posts though because the game doesn't deserve it. I already said it several times and I'll say it again, one of the best jrpgs ever.

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: November 08, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »

Gosh I love this game. 20 hours in and I'm just hitting the Satoral Marsh now.

I know I can't complete every sidequest, but I'm busting my brains out trying to find King Squeeze in colony 9. They say he's under a bridge...but WHICH ONE? :( Looked everywhere!

Also hey guys it's REYN TIME! :D

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: November 08, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »

King Squeeze for me is out at night. You go just past the Gem Merchant's stall and there is an area where you can either go up the stairs to a bridge or under a building. If you go under and then turn left (drop off a ledge along the way) and go straight, following the fence, at the end of the platform should be a NPC and King Squeeze.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: