Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:43:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334812 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 48 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade  (Read 63316 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: January 27, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »

Yeah, the Dark/White Hoxes and the Bahemeth-y dudes (forget what they're called, begins with a "G") are really great for leveling, starting around 72 or so. Just run around the lake with the interconnected platforms, and beat up on 3 or so at a time.

Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to find good grinding spots after level 75. There are some biggies in the Bionis Interior that become fairly manageable, but they're spread out, and not fast for leveling. There's one cove in Eryth Sea that's home to some monsters that are perfect for mid-70s, but you have to swim to get there. I think it's north of the Ether Windfarm. But it is weird, the game doesn't have an innordinate number of level 70-85 monsters. Suddenly, there's TONS for high 80s, 90s, and some really obvious 100s (Dinos, Snow Giants, etc), but there's a big gap in there that I never bothered getting through. I beat the game at 81, so I never got high enough to start smashing greater Telethia, Fire Ants, Giants, etc. I searched high and low for good high-70, low-80 monsters to grind on, and I just don't think there are any.

Hint: some early areas actually change after certain events take place late in the game. There are new high level monsters in the easy dungeons. But once again, Level 85+, though I'm not sure I went back through EVERY early dungeon.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 27, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »

It'd help if it didn't have that stupid attempt at keeping you from fighting higher leveled enemies via MISSING all the time if you're more than 5 levels under. I can't imagine when that's seriously relevant in the game anyway, earlier on most enemies with that kind of difference will crush you, and in the end game, well, it's the END GAME. Either you just want to hurry up and beat it, or to fully explore the world and not try figuring out the exact path the developers intended.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: January 28, 2012, 08:10:11 AM »

monoliths newrpg project should be announced soonish
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »

Are you in a certain brown and red city with enemies roaming about? I found that area had a difficulty spike. Lots of exp though.

Excellent guess.... good to know I'm not the only one...
I do feel like near the end of the game is when the good balancing kind of falls apart. Now, rather than easily finding quests in your level range and using them in place of a grind, almost every quest you find is way past your level, and you need to go grind on monsters to level up enough to make the final bosses a non-issue and to do post-game content. Not that it was THAT bad of a grind thankfully, but you needed to find the right place (a tip: Once you're in the level 70 range the Bionis' leg becomes a great place for grinding as those monsters are now surmountable.)
Yeah, the Dark/White Hoxes and the Bahemeth-y dudes (forget what they're called, begins with a "G") are really great for leveling, starting around 72 or so. Just run around the lake with the interconnected platforms, and beat up on 3 or so at a time.

Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to find good grinding spots after level 75. There are some biggies in the Bionis Interior that become fairly manageable, but they're spread out, and not fast for leveling. There's one cove in Eryth Sea that's home to some monsters that are perfect for mid-70s, but you have to swim to get there. I think it's north of the Ether Windfarm. But it is weird, the game doesn't have an innordinate number of level 70-85 monsters. Suddenly, there's TONS for high 80s, 90s, and some really obvious 100s (Dinos, Snow Giants, etc), but there's a big gap in there that I never bothered getting through. I beat the game at 81, so I never got high enough to start smashing greater Telethia, Fire Ants, Giants, etc. I searched high and low for good high-70, low-80 monsters to grind on, and I just don't think there are any.

Hint: some early areas actually change after certain events take place late in the game. There are new high level monsters in the easy dungeons. But once again, Level 85+, though I'm not sure I went back through EVERY early dungeon.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to announce with great exclamation when I polish this one off.....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:39:42 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2012, 01:44:23 PM »

It'd help if it didn't have that stupid attempt at keeping you from fighting higher leveled enemies via MISSING all the time if you're more than 5 levels under. I can't imagine when that's seriously relevant in the game anyway, earlier on most enemies with that kind of difference will crush you, and in the end game, well, it's the END GAME. Either you just want to hurry up and beat it, or to fully explore the world and not try figuring out the exact path the developers intended.

Actually, you can hit them consistently if your agility is high enough. Topple is helpfull too. Dunban is an excellent choice for battles like that. I think I used a team of Melia, Dunban and Sharlia... or was it Shulk? Anyway, have Melia summon wind for the agility boost and keep Dunban healed while he hacks away at the enemy.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »

I heard that using high-level nightvision gems + fighting at night can overcome the agility issue as well. Too bad I sold them all, thinking they wouldn't be useful. :-\
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 28, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »

Actually, you can hit them consistently if your agility is high enough. Topple is helpfull too. Dunban is an excellent choice for battles like that. I think I used a team of Melia, Dunban and Sharlia... or was it Shulk? Anyway, have Melia summon wind for the agility boost and keep Dunban healed while he hacks away at the enemy.

Man, I tried buffing agility and it didn't seem to do the trick. Guess I needed to go with Sharla's buffs along with the gems, probably does a better job of it than Melia's elementals.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:41:08 PM by Eusis » Logged
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: January 28, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »

During the end section of the game, I played a lot of it using Melia. Her AI is retarded, but she's incredibly powerful if you use a few simple steps to play her well. You use Lightning as much as possible and use summon copy to use an extra one every two times. By the late game, certain characters become almost useless (Ryne) and others become mostly useless (Sharla), I never did use Ricky, I just couldn't stomach it, too damn annoying.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2012, 02:21:40 AM »

As I eagerly await this title, I decided to run through xenosaga again. Seriously, I forgot how long those cutscenes are. My Ps3 remote keeps auto turning off. And damn is it slow paced. Nostalgia is a bitter mistress at times.

TASTY!
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »

Thankfully, Xenoblade doesn't feel ANYTHING like Xenosaga. I enjoyed Xenosaga to an extent (never played 2 or 3), but it was trying SO HARD to be dark and depressing, with morbid events and dialog around every corner, that it got a bit much after a while. Xenoblade has it's dark side, but it really develops the lighter side of RPG adventure, as well. I love how all the characters talk to each other all the time. When they're in battle, they're always commenting on eachother's actions, and it really builds this wonderful sense of camaraderie. It's a dark tale, but it's also a fun romp through a kickass alien world too. Monolith has always suffered in this area, IMO. Ever since Chrono Trigger, the team's focus on lighthearted fun has dwindled.

And shockingly, the story isn't mind-bendingly confusing and verbose. It's got lots of twists, and some real zingers that you just don't see coming, but it doesn't go out of its way to try and make your head hurt the way other Monolith game did. In fact, I think I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best jRPG plots we've seen in a LONG TIME. I just hope they don't fuck it up with the American localization. I could imagine them taking out a bunch of the battle dialog, which would make me very sad.

Play the European version, it's bound to be better.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: January 29, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »

I totally need to 2nd the Melia, Dunban Sharla/Shulk party combo.... Works super well as a balanced group for me that can be buffed to high heaven.... I also enjoy a Shulk, Dunban, Fiora party to slaughter things mega-quick, but this group remains pretty vulnerable and can get wiped out fast..... Riki is a bitter sweet creature.. Love the little Nopon's skill trees.... but the fact that he becomes useless in even shallow water and has no truly redeeming battle qualities aside from his negligible ability to boost exp made him seem pretty un-appealing by the end.... Reyn.. well.... I'm bias.... I just don't like Reyn so I don't use em.... Simple as that....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: January 29, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »

Play the European version, it's bound to be better.

There is no American Localization. They're just bringing over the European version. I doubt anything will have changed.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 29, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »

Thankfully, Xenoblade doesn't feel ANYTHING like Xenosaga. I enjoyed Xenosaga to an extent (never played 2 or 3), but it was trying SO HARD to be dark and depressing, with morbid events and dialog around every corner, that it got a bit much after a while.

Man, it'd probably be for the best if you never played the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls games, or watch/read stuff like No Country for Old Men or The Road if Xenosaga was too much "dark and depressing" for you. Not that it ISN'T leaning towards that, but I'd say it's closer to the center than not, especially by JRPG standards.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2012, 10:15:02 PM »

the funny thing is they technically are all in the same universe...............even if its something like 20k years later.

For some reason they wanted to keep the continuity

By the way nothing is changed for the US
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 29, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »

the funny thing is they technically are all in the same universe...............even if its something like 20k years later.

No they aren't. And now that I think about it, how about we drop this entirely?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:20:53 PM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 48 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: