Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 05:45:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331614 Posts in 13577 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade  (Read 61034 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #660 on: June 09, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »

Exploration is fine if I gain something from it, but to just see huge areas of ocean and cliffs I can't reach pisses me off.

Yeah but there's not many places where you *can't* reach in the game. When I got to Makna Forest, I thought "can you really go that far off and explore the waterfall?" You can! The game is huge!

Take the time to explore!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #661 on: June 09, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »

Exploration is fine if I gain something from it, but to just see huge areas of ocean and cliffs I can't reach pisses me off.

Yeah but there's not many places where you *can't* reach in the game. When I got to Makna Forest, I thought "can you really go that far off and explore the waterfall?" You can! The game is huge!

Take the time to explore!
Lol, I went to the secret spot in makna forest, right next to the waterfall that leads off the bionis....and leapt off it. Well, fell off, but yeah.

In alcamoth now, man that place is a huge space of boring so far. Leveled twice since I got there doing...you guessed it, fetch quests. Level 44 now, so overpowered.

TASTY!
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #662 on: June 16, 2012, 02:32:58 AM »

I've managed to put in about 15 hours so far and still like the game. The gameplay reminds me a polished FFXII that is much more enjoyable. The story seems standard JRPG but I think it is going to start to pick up. I like the fact that I don't have to hunt down (no pun intended) a person after I have finished a quest for them. The results are immediate. Up to this point in my game, I am very pleased.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #663 on: June 16, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »

i dont give a rats ass about exploration just means more opportunity for me to get lost. so is the combat fun?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #664 on: June 17, 2012, 06:08:58 AM »

i dont give a rats ass about exploration just means more opportunity for me to get lost. so is the combat fun?

Getting lost isn't that big of a problem in this game thanks to the waypoint system where you just open up the map, select the waypoint you've been to closest to your destination that you want to go to, and there you are easy peasie.

As for combat, imagine FFXII's combat but without all the annoying and ass that plagued FFXII's combat. You don't transition to an boxed off battle arena whenever you get into a fight, you don't have to fumble about with menus during fights, instead you have an action pallet where you a bunch of skills and spells are located, although there aren't any items, using spells and skills only cost cooldown time save for your main ability which requires charging up through combat, enemies have helpful indicators over their heads that tell you how badly they'll kick your shit in as well as if they're going to chase after you or whether they'll assemble into a swarm and rush your sorry ass, there's no need for a basic understanding of programming, treasure is regulated to enemies, quests rewards, and trading, while maps contain shinnies that can be collected for more prizes or for trading, all equipment shows up on your character model instead of just weapons, non-basic attack abilities can't be tied down by enemies abusing the game's query system, you can perform combo attacks once you've charged up enough meter for it which involves cycling through party members and using skills and spells of the same color, and if you're not feeling up to fighting or you want to get the hell out of dodge then you'll be pleased to know that running away in this game actually works versus FFs XII or XIII-2.

The tl;dr is that this game has somewhere between serviceable and fun combat which is a far cry above any other game that uses a similar combat system. And with that said, and call this a hunch, but for some reason I suspect that you will not like this game. But I'll have to play deeper to know for sure.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #665 on: June 17, 2012, 06:57:27 AM »

well i did like ffxii's combat since i played it while on hiatis from ffxi so it felt familliar. i just didnt like the lack of a decent class system.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #666 on: December 01, 2012, 03:57:47 AM »

I stopped playing for some unknown reason and I can't get motivated to start back up.

It's fun, yet the quests can be tedious. I'm thinking that's the reason I stopped playing? hmmmm
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #667 on: December 01, 2012, 08:06:21 AM »

I stopped playing for some unknown reason and I can't get motivated to start back up.

It's fun, yet the quests can be tedious. I'm thinking that's the reason I stopped playing? hmmmm

The quests stop being so bad after you get past the Frontier Village/Alcamoth combo where the game stops dumping hundreds of quests onto your lap. Also you basically have literally nothing to worry about in terms of timing out quests for Alcamoth until like the final quarter of the game.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #668 on: January 28, 2013, 11:27:41 AM »

I just finished Xenoblade and at the same time I am making my first post on RPGFan.  I'll try to make it a good one.  I clocked in at 110 hours and all in all I loved the game.  

World

The world that Monolith Soft made is huge and incredible.  There are a few points in the game where the views that you can take in are astonishing.  It isn't just that the view is incredible so much as you can GO to what you can see.  You aren't protected, you can go find enemies that will destroy you.  It was fun making those types of mistakes.  There aren't a lot of invisible walls in this game which was refreshing.  The world of Mechonis was pretty boring for me compared to what Bionis had to offer but it was a relatively small amount of the game.  

The character models are pretty bad, especially if you have an Xbox or PS3.  On top of that, some of the outfits are awful, but I guess that comes with the territory in a JRPG.  I found myself relieved when certain female characters found a new piece of armor so they could stop looking like a seven year olds fantasy.

Story

I enjoyed the story quite a bit, there are events that happen in the beginning of the game that do a really good job in giving Shulk a purpose.  He isn't just an empty shell, things happen to him that make him fight back.  Shulk was a good protagonist that was well relatable.  I hated Riki.  I hate the silly characters like that are thrown into games.  He's like the Jar Jar Binks of Xenoblade and I wish developers would stop creating this type of character.  It bugged me that the game spent a decent amount of time letting you know that there was a love triangle going on with Shulk, Melia and Seven, but really didn't do anything with it.  It just existed, but had no conclusion.  Disappointing.  The twists in the story were fun, pretty predictable but I enjoyed the story that Monolith wanted to tell.

Gameplay

I don't play MMO's, but I have read that the combat is similar to MMO's in a lot of ways.  I thought it was fun.  I started to get bored of Shulk, but then I wanted to raise the affinity of all the other party members so I switched it up for the last half of the game.  That kept the combat somewhat fresh in that I had to learn the different strategies involved with each character.  There are a TON of side quests and I did the vast majority of them.  I beat the game at a lvl 80 so there are plenty of end game quests that I will get to in my free time.  The problem with the side quests is that they are so generic.  I appreciate that for a lot of the quests you don't have to run back to town, but they just didn't have any sort of impact to draw me in.  I still did them, but they just weren't exciting.  If you wanted storytelling you had to go to the main storyline.  That in my opinion is a lost opportunity.

A lot of my impressions make it look like I didn't like the game, that's not true at all.  I think we can all agree that the game is incredible, I wouldn't have spent 110 hours playing it if it wasn't.  I wrote this pretty quickly so I apologize if it jumps around a bit.  I just wanted to get what I was thinking on paper.

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #669 on: January 28, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »

I really want to buy this, but I don't have a Wii and it's starting to get really expensive - £45-50 on ebay (>$70), which is about double what I pay for new PC games, and it's not available new anywhere. Is it worth picking up now to play at some point in the future, before the prices reach insane Suikoden II levels?
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #670 on: January 28, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »

Yes. Nintendo doesn't have the best track record for budget re-releases, especially considering the Wii is dead in their eyes.
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #671 on: August 07, 2014, 09:11:13 PM »

I have a backlog of games and decided to watch the story/dialogue cut-scenes on Youtube to get the story without having to go through the gameplay (I got stuck on a boss and didn't feel like grinding more to level). Unless I farted around too much in my play-time, it seems that the story doesn't pick up until the middle of the game (around 30/40 or so hours).  I think the story should already be fleshed out more by that hour mark, not starting up. Upon the completion of my viewing on Youtube, I believe the main thrust of the story was dragged out and could have been covered in a more timely manner. I also think the characters seem kind of mediocre aside from the "heart-to-heart" interaction. With that said, I have found myself wanting to play through the game rather than being glad that I didn't waste any more time on it.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #672 on: August 07, 2014, 09:23:59 PM »

I have a backlog of games and decided to watch the story/dialogue cut-scenes on Youtube to get the story without having to go through the gameplay (I got stuck on a boss and didn't feel like grinding more to level). Unless I farted around too much in my play-time, it seems that the story doesn't pick up until the middle of the game (around 30/40 or so hours).  I think the story should already be fleshed out more by that hour mark, not starting up. Upon the completion of my viewing on Youtube, I believe the main thrust of the story was dragged out and could have been covered in a more timely manner. I also think the characters seem kind of mediocre aside from the "heart-to-heart" interaction. With that said, I have found myself wanting to play through the game rather than being glad that I didn't waste any more time on it.

The gameplay and open-ish map is like...half the wonder though.  I kinda got sick of other RPGs giving tiny world maps and dungeons.  A Zelda cutscene-only video would probably the most boring thing to watch ever; but since you play "adventurer" for the entire game you love it for that instead.  There's also some good story in the non-cinematic bits; the quests do quite a bit with respect to world building. 

I do agree otherwise that Xenoblade is a slow-to-warm-up title.  I gave it up too when I was in the middle of school and just didn't wanna deal with it.  But now it's in my Top 10 for almost all it managed to do.  A lot of that really depends how fast you progress in the title of course since there is so much questing.  And while it starts slow, I think it follows a lot of the JRPG story pattern where they sprinkle in bits and pieces of terms/themes/spoilery things you only HEAR ABOUT till it's fleshed out in the end-game (Shulk's visions literally spoiling the next 40 hours of gameplay at least); then you get those moments like "why the fuck does Alvis know how to work the Monado?" or "What's the full story with Sword Valley".  The game had a big world with a big story to tell, and [I think it] did its best not to rush it.

Easily though, the story really kicks it into full gear when you're on the Mechonis.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #673 on: August 07, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »

How far do you need to get in the game before you have characters friendly enough to open up the Heart to Hearts? I'm on the hand and I don't think I've unlocked a single one, besides the mandatory one with Hermione at the start.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #674 on: August 07, 2014, 10:21:56 PM »

How far do you need to get in the game before you have characters friendly enough to open up the Heart to Hearts? I'm on the hand and I don't think I've unlocked a single one, besides the mandatory one with Hermione at the start.

They're a real pain.  Basically you can have a H2H with the last two party members you get ever, but at the first map of the game (Col. 9).  Literally, it's almost best when saved for a little later on or use a FAQ to find the ones with the lowest requirements.  Otherwise:

= Give 'gifts' often (from item screen).  Characters will sometimes drop "hints" about what they like (Shulk, naturally, liking "mechanical things" and other intricate objects).
= View the H2H's you can, doing those "right' (picking the right option) yields big "heart ups".
= Accept quests with different party members!!!  Every time a party member respond innocuously ("Yeah that's a shame" or "We should help!") they gain little affinities with the lead party member!
= Get those battle promts: Encourage, revive, etc.

Also, sadly, maybe do a save before H2H's, a lot of the ones where you make a bad choice tend to be quite funny.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: