Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 09:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331572 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Defence of the Ancients 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Defence of the Ancients 2  (Read 865 times)
The Daltony
Ask me about Shining Force III

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:30:54 PM »

Stolen from another forum I posted this on:

I noticed there was no topic on Dota 2, since the tournament has already started and will end on either the 21th or 22nd AND the fact you can sign up for the beta as of a few hours ago it looks like they've taken it down, sadly. (http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/international/).

Anyway, for those who haven't heard, here's a rough overview of the game genre and Dota 2 specifically (shamelessly stolen from the Dota 2 blog(http://blog.dota2.com/)).

But first some of you might be thinking, “What is Dota 2?” Dota began as a user-made modification for Warcraft 3 and has grown into one of the most played online games in the world. Following in the tradition of Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Portal, and Alien Swarm, Dota 2 is the result of Valve hiring the community developers who built the mod and giving them the chance to finally build a full product out of their idea with the help of a professional team of developers and artists at Valve.

As for the gameplay, it’s a little hard to describe. The camera is set in the traditional RTS perspective, but it wouldn’t be fair to call Dota an RTS. And while each hero starts at level 1, and many times hits the level cap of 25, it wouldn’t be fair to call it an RPG.

Lots of people have tried to assign various genre names to Dota, but we think Action RTS is probably the most descriptive. And while we don’t spend a lot of time trying to figure out what genre the game is inventing, we can’t stop playing it internally and we’re pretty excited to show everyone how we’re doing.

Here's an overview of some of the (many) improvements over the original Dota (and in some cases, League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth!) -
-Reconnect should you drop connection

-An AI replacement for someone who leaves the game (and allegedly allowing people to sub in during a game should they want to take the slot of said leaver.)

-A robust bot system to help practice new heroes on your own.

-Being able to play with anyone around the world on one server.

-Replays.

No word as of yet on how much the game costs (if it's not free to play, which seems very likely).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:55:31 PM by The Daltony » Logged
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »

I noticed there was no topic on Dota 2, which is surprising considering the big tournament is starting tommorow AND the fact you can sign up for the beta as of a few hours ago it looks like they've taken it down, sadly.

Considering hardly anyone talks about Dota, LoL or HoN here, Id say Its not surprising at all. I for one, was not even aware of a "big tournament" tomorrow, but that's probably because I couldn't care less. Still, big news for anyone that does I suppose.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
The Daltony
Ask me about Shining Force III

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:54:32 PM »

I noticed there was no topic on Dota 2, which is surprising considering the big tournament is starting tommorow AND the fact you can sign up for the beta as of a few hours ago it looks like they've taken it down, sadly.

Considering hardly anyone talks about Dota, LoL or HoN here, Id say Its not surprising at all. I for one, was not even aware of a "big tournament" tomorrow, but that's probably because I couldn't care less. Still, big news for anyone that does I suppose.

Huh, looks like I forgot to correct something, thanks for the heads up, tourney actually started today.

Also, I'm pretty excited for the game and considering how user friendly Valve has been hyping it up to be for new players, I thought it would be cool to get the word out. If I could get some people together to play a few matches sometimes, that'd be p. neat.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »

Yeah, thing is, I really wasn't trying to be clever about pointing out your apparent mistake. I honestly couldn't care less about these games. I was trying to give you a heads up about potential lack of general interest. Might be wrong, haven't been here that long, but don't be too disappointed if this topic fades away without much notice.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »

I know there aren't any topics, but several staff members are actually big LoL players.  I'm interested in DotA2, but a little bit hesitant.  I signed up for the beta when it was available.  I find myself much more fond of LoL than I am of HoN, and I know HoN is much more loyal to the original DotA.

Still, Valve is big money and I am sure they'll do a good job.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: