Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 10:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335177 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Only 10% of all videogames sold are actually finished by gamers.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Only 10% of all videogames sold are actually finished by gamers.  (Read 5675 times)
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »

I feel like people are ridiculously nostalgic-- most game's weren't longer back then because there was more shit, they were longer because they were fucking cheap.

A lot of games in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras was artificially long because they were difficult, cheap and/or didn't have saves. If SMB had saves you could easily beat it in 3-4 hours and never touch it again. Instead, you spent months trying to beat it because you'd always run out of lives by world 4. Battletoads, Double Dragon, TMNT, Streets of Rage, etc... All of those games were artificially long because you'd run out of continues and/or lives again and again, and you'd play through the same stages repeatedly.

Maybe attitudes were different back then, which is why people put up with the grindfests that were RPGs in those days- because every game involved doing the same shit over and over again until you could make it.

Now people don't have the patience to the same shit over and over again, and rightfully so. If I'm going to shell out 60bux for a game, I don't want it to be artificially hard because the programmers don't know how to make a game longer than 2 hours. Now that action games and platformers have save systems, you spend more time actually playing the game instead of repeating shit. Compare Halo's checkpoint system to Megaman's stage by stage system. Instead of starting at the beginning of a level, you can save in the middle and come back.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:29:28 PM by Morwan » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »

i make time.... i guess not having a career or starting a family of of my own makes me a minority.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 08:45:52 PM »

debbie downer
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 12:02:57 AM »

If I go strictly by percentage I am way, way, way lower than 10%, however, any game I've done more than test out (in other words played for more than an hour or so) then my percentage is much, much higher. I freely admit I bought some games simply to have in my collection, oh I'll play them some just to fool around but I know I'll never finish them, others I buy with the purpose of playing and finishing, and the vast majority I do, a few here and there I lose interest in but overall I'd say I easily finish over 90% of games I actually play (that make sense?)

I know exactly what you mean because I have the same habit.  I have to get over the "hump" and then it's smooth sailing from there.  The only problem is getting up to that point.  That and Steam.  Those deals are so tempting that they typically just congest my backlog.

I do think this whole phenomenon sheds light on the the boom of the casual market because it's closer in line with what players are able to finish.  Kinda like the simplicity of the early arcade scene but with the ease of modern, portable technology costing only an initial premium.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 01:22:53 PM »

Wow, this is really lame. That's A LOT of wasted money!

My completion rate is about 75% or so, about 50% for handhelds. I went through my collection a while back and counted. And I feel guilty for not finishing more of them. But 10%? what the hell are people DOING? Don't they realized after a while that they're buying too many games?

First off... DON'T BUY A GAME UNLESS YOU'RE GOING TO START PLAYING IT IMMEDIATELY. Unless you're having to snatch up a rare game that just happened to appear in a story, there's NO REASON to buy a game and let it sit on the shelf. Wait until you're finished or at least ready to move on from your other games before you buy a new one. I know so many people who buy a game, and let it sit so long that by the time they would get around to play it, something else has grabbed their attention. GOOD FOR YOU, YOU JUST WASTED $60! And people complain about the economy!

Hilarious thing is I have fairly severe ADD, but for some reason, it sounds like my attention span for video games is WAY above the norm.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 04:38:24 PM »

I know so many people who buy a game, and let it sit so long that by the time they would get around to play it, something else has grabbed their attention. GOOD FOR YOU, YOU JUST WASTED $60! And people complain about the economy!

Back off, man, we're helping the economy!  How about a "you're welcome"?

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 06:50:28 AM »

i make time.... i guess not having a career or starting a family of of my own makes me a minority.

I'm in that same minority, though still most of my game collection is uncompleted. Around 75% of the games i purchased between 2006 and 2009 remain unbeaten. I'd buy games play them for a little while and just stop. Though I can attribute it the depression I had back then. Honestly the only things i did back then where sleep and masturbate (yes no code word for it this time). It's funny back then I couldn't play Nocturne past the 12 hour mark, and now I'd consider in my top 10 favorite games. Still working on DDS and Devil Summoner though.

On another note I can't understand why anyone would complain about people buying games and not finishing them. It's thier money and it helps expand the industry. Who the hell cares whether anyone ever plays it or not. A sale is a sale it's a good thing for people who actually want to play games.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 08:11:29 AM »

On another note I can't understand why anyone would complain about people buying games and not finishing them. It's thier money and it helps expand the industry. Who the hell cares whether anyone ever plays it or not. A sale is a sale it's a good thing for people who actually want to play games.[/color]

These kind of statistics aren't exactly encouraging developers to create long games.

Wow, this is really lame. That's A LOT of wasted money!

My completion rate is about 75% or so, about 50% for handhelds. I went through my collection a while back and counted. And I feel guilty for not finishing more of them. But 10%? what the hell are people DOING? Don't they realized after a while that they're buying too many games?

First off... DON'T BUY A GAME UNLESS YOU'RE GOING TO START PLAYING IT IMMEDIATELY. Unless you're having to snatch up a rare game that just happened to appear in a story, there's NO REASON to buy a game and let it sit on the shelf. Wait until you're finished or at least ready to move on from your other games before you buy a new one. I know so many people who buy a game, and let it sit so long that by the time they would get around to play it, something else has grabbed their attention. GOOD FOR YOU, YOU JUST WASTED $60! And people complain about the economy!

Hilarious thing is I have fairly severe ADD, but for some reason, it sounds like my attention span for video games is WAY above the norm.

Prime, I think most people's problem isn't buying new games and then putting them on the shelf, it's buying new games without finishing their old ones. The shiny new toy makes them forget the old games they were playing. Rinse and repeat and it becomes an endless cycle of unfinished games.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 09:13:28 AM »

I also think this is symptomatic of any sort of activity where there are new things happening all the time. Who here reads? Look at your bookshelf. What percentage of your books have you read?

In the case of books, I realized I had a glut of books I've never read or already read and have no desire to, and I sold them. If I find myself interested again, I'm sure I can dig a copy up at the library. At this point, I've read the overwhelming majority of titles on my shelves, and the ones I haven't are very high up on my to-do list. I keep these around because they are rare/very important to me and I do tend to re-read.

Can people say the same thing about games? How many people here return to RPGs on a regular basis? Furthermore, how much of what you own is so rare that you can't part with it? Maybe it's because I've moved six times in three years, but it seems like these piles of video games are mostly shelf-clutter.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:21:17 AM by Vanguard » Logged

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »

I don't care about rarity, but I do tend to replay. I probably don't finish it all the way to the end again, but I do some.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »

On another note I can't understand why anyone would complain about people buying games and not finishing them. It's thier money and it helps expand the industry. Who the hell cares whether anyone ever plays it or not. A sale is a sale it's a good thing for people who actually want to play games.[/color]

These kind of statistics aren't exactly encouraging developers to create long games.

I get that, but it's still better than the games sitting on a shelf. A sale is a sale it's NEVER a bad thing especially in this economy. So it encourages developers to make shorter games, but it's still better than them not making ANY games.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:49:35 PM by Demon_Princess_Kay » Logged

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »

I don't care about rarity

A.I.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »

the whole article is a little vague...

i mean let's take red dead for example ... this game is something i would consider mainstream... so i'm not exactly surprised that among all the buyers we would have only 10% of players who actually have beaten the game... which sounds like a few...but if we would know the actual number...we might see this percentage from a different perspective.

also... some of the video games that count as "bought" might be presents for kids or other people... and  they aren't "obligated" to beat the game... they don't even have to like it.

and than there is a small problem... that some games get "tougher" as you go on... and it so happens that players sometimes get stuck or too frustrated with the game... thus just do not finish the game...because playing is supposed to be done for fun... and it is normal to look for another game  if you get fed up with your current one (or so i think).

plus i don't think that this 10% work with every video game genre...would be kinda interesting to hear some genre specific estimates.

just for the record.. i have beaten about 60-65% of my games.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:19:52 PM by A.I. » Logged
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »

If I enjoy a game, I finish it. If I don't enjoy a game, I put it down and move to the next one. If I don't change my mind about the game (ie, don't pick it up again) I sell it. What I have on my shelves are all games I have played, enjoyed and plan to play again, or new games waiting in the quene (As I am weird in that I insist on finishing my current game before I start the next one). I am choosy about what I buy but with 4 systems, I do end up buying a lot. My husband is also a geek so instead of going out, we often just play video games together.

I also like to read and my shelves are the same. I don't bother hanging onto books/games I'll never complete, but I like to hold onto ones I've enjoyed and would like to revisit.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »

If I enjoy a game, I finish it. If I don't enjoy a game, I put it down and move to the next one. If I don't change my mind about the game (ie, don't pick it up again) I sell it. What I have on my shelves are all games I have played, enjoyed and plan to play again, or new games waiting in the quene (As I am weird in that I insist on finishing my current game before I start the next one).

You're exactly like me.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: