Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 01:26:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327153 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Devil Survivor Overclocked
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Devil Survivor Overclocked  (Read 7371 times)
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 08:25:33 PM »

Now I'm questioning whether I'm off base with this argument.  It just seems like common sense to me.  If you've ever watched a motion comic before, you'd call the voice acting atrocious... but it's more like reading with sound... it's not something to critique.  

I'm sticking with the opinion that the voice acting in Overclocked isn't bad, it's just not the type of game that relies on voice acting for its immersion.  I think the script was well read, thank you very much.

The fact that the game was not written to be spoken doesnt change the fact the it's bad.  I already stated itd be unfair to expect console quality.  Nobody was expecting LA Noire or Mass Effect.  System limitations and static portaits obviously dramatically improve the perception of VA.  But even given the restraints, you cant honestly tell me this anything beyond subpar at best.  Especially given that its easily the most dramatic change from the original.  And shame on you for thinking the product is acceptable.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 09:09:22 PM »

I didn't play the original.  I think this is an amazing product.

You're being a critic, not a consumer.  I, as a consumer, think it is great.  Were you expecting this to breathe new life into the original experience you loved?  I can understand why you're let down if that is the case... but from my point of view, It's all good.  CDFN says that the 8th day alone will sell this to him, so maybe you just aren't a fan.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 09:35:35 PM »

And shame on you for thinking the product is acceptable.

I think words like this should be saved for you know people who like things are actually terrible, like twilight and not subpar remakes of actually good games. I'm getting this game when i get a 3DS bad voice acting or not. It's my favorite DS game with new content not Big Rigs for haruhi's sake.

badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »

So, I finally got to playing this... and I ended up turning the VA off. Don't get me wrong, the VA is far from the worst I've heard -- but having played the original, which didn't have the VA, the voices don't match the one's I have in my head, which is more jarring not because they don't sound the same, but because the voices in my head were like what you'd find in a A+ VA production, (or real life...) and this is more of a B VA production. It's alright, but still a bit clunky, and doesn't always flow or fit that at well.

But my main reason for turning off the VA was not the VA itself. Instead, it was because whenever someone starts speaking, the BGM becomes nearly unhearable. That's right; for whatever reason, whenever a scene starts up, the volume for the music becomes so low, that it just nearly ruins the scenes. How they could make such an obvious  mistake, I cannot fathom, but they did it nonetheless. Thankfully, by turning off the VA, the music proceeds as normal. Without the VA though, there wouldn't be much reason to keep playing this, if it weren't for the 8th day(s). So I'll just keeping on going, but without the VA; they botched the job with that, though not in the usual fashion.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:01:51 PM by badsanta » Logged
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 10:45:40 PM »

I actually noticed that too, but it was during tutorials.  I had my 3DS volume up to full, and I could barely hear the music.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 01:49:38 AM »

not interested unless there is new features other then voices and 3d? so anything new confirmed yet?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 04:35:05 AM »

not interested unless there is new features other then voices and 3d? so anything new confirmed yet?

There's an extra day, and new demons.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 06:48:45 AM »

The main selling point is the extra day. It's supposed to be huge since 25% of the total VA is for that day alone. It's also supposed to act as a bridge to DS2 but I'm still waiting for anyone to confirm that.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 04:33:48 PM »

How can you say the voice acting is bad? Certainly you haven't heard bad voice acting before (like that Chaos Wars game). Perhaps people are confusing voice acting with personalities?

Anyway, I find the voice acting of this game well done. I especially like Midori's VA and personality because of how quirky and silly she is with the justice thing (looks like Atlus got that Flonne persona rubbed on her). There are no real complaints about a bad VA I could find. Oh, and it's funny to see Johnny Long Bosch voicing the bad guys again (it's the evil-looking police officer).

The only one I don't like much is Yuzu. She's a bit of a steteotypical high schooler.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 04:42:43 PM »

Sigh. Atlus, how the mighty have fallen.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 05:18:19 PM »

How? Why? Please explain, good sir, if you so may.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »

He's dumb and forgot Shin Megami Tensei 1 & 2 had like 50 ports.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 05:49:50 PM »

Atlus does seem to go through periods of nothing but ports. I guess if thats the tradeoff for pretty much all of their games being awesome, its not bad. They're not like Square Enix who go port crazy then release a bunch of lackluster games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »

He's dumb and forgot Shin Megami Tensei 1 & 2 had like 50 ports.

But NA never got any of them! :P (that I remember)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 06:49:16 PM »

Atlus does seem to go through periods of nothing but ports. I guess if thats the tradeoff for pretty much all of their games being awesome, its not bad. They're not like Square Enix who go port crazy then release a bunch of lackluster games.
If I can remember, they have ported a few games. This one and Persona 3.

Take in mind, however, that these ports are actually enhanced ports.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:20:16 AM by AuraChannelerChris » Logged

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: