10) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
9) Final Fantasy XI
8) Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia
7) Ys: The Oath in Felghana
6) Final Fantasy X
5) Kingdom Hearts II
4) Romancing SaGa
3) Final Fantasy IX
2) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
1) Xenosaga Ep. III: Also Sprach Zarathustra
My previous decade of RPG-ing has kept me primarily in Sony console territory, and even more primarily in JRPG territory. Xenosaga fully captured my imagination from the moment I played it, and even though many people are quick to point out its flaws (the absurd gameplay-to-cutscene ratio, for example), I still love it. As for the PS1 entries, they just barely made it into our timeframe, but these Y2K games must never be forgotten, as they're both totally awesome. The other Square Enix titles on my list are games that are easily some of my favorites of this last decade, and yet I think that many people tend to forget about them. Ys: The Oath in Felghana is the only import game I've really dug into during this last decade, and I'm glad I did. The PSP port coming to North America via XSEED is sure to please. FFXI is the only MMORPG I play, and I don't regret a moment of it. Finally, I felt this top 10 list would have been hollow without at least one reference to the excellent "Ace Attorney" series from Capcom. So I chose the original, though the third or fourth entries of the series are also big favorites.
My three "hall of shame" entries
3) Astonishia Story (PSP) – of all the games to be localized, why this one?
2) Myst (DS) – Worst. Port. Ever.
1) Digimon World: Data Squad (PS2) – One of the only games I've reviewed for RPGFan that I couldn't bear to complete. What an absolute piece of garbage.