5) Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (DS) - I loved the Phoenix Wright titles and was very excited to get my hands on the first title in the series to be developed for the DS early this year. I wasn't disappointed by all the spiffy stuff Capcom managed to cram into this DS cart. The characters weren't quite as memorable as some of my Phoenix Wright favorites, but it's still a top quality title that any DS owner should take a look at.
4) Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) - Valkyria Chronicles breaks the video game strategy game mold. It plays out more like a mixture between the Warhammer tabletop game and your first person shooter of choice than it does like Final Fantasy Tactics, and that's what gives it a great deal of its charm. The fact that the game is absolutely gorgeous doesn't hurt it either. Truly the first must-own RPG on the PlayStation 3.
3) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (PS2) - Persona 3 was a quality title, and Persona 4 takes all the little wrinkles that were in Persona 3 and irons them out. The setting and story are different, but the base gameplay is the same. While Atlus has provided us with another 60 hours of gameplay with this one, there's just not enough that's new in this one to push it higher on the list - but it's still a game anyone needs to buy.
2) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS2) - One of the best RPGs of 2007 put together with 30 hours of more content (albeit almost all dungeon crawling) is easily one of the best games released in 2008. If you didn't have a chance to get it when it was new last year, check it out at your local game store when you go and pick up your copy of Persona 4.
1) World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (PC) - Death Knights. Siege Vehicles. A world PvP zone that actually matters. Raids that more than just the hardcore will see. Bravo, Blizzard. Bravo.
Oh, and one last note:
1A) NHL 09 (PS3/Xbox 360) - Yes, this game is an RPG. Players create their avatar, taking them through either a single player campaign (Be A Pro) or multiplayer campaign (EA Sports Hockey League), level up their statistics, and move up in their organization. Much like the Mario Golf and Mario Tennis games for the GB and GBA, NHL 09 is a sports game that really is an RPG at heart. EA Canada has crafted a game that people other than just hockey fans will want to play.