5) Half-Minute Hero (PSP) - This game really took me by surprise. I didn't really have any intention of playing this game and actually didn't know anything about it. Then I noticed we were missing a review of the game and I didn't have anything else to play so I gave it a chance. I sure am glad that I did. Half-Minute Hero might not be an instant classic but it's a very original and different RPG that's worthy of experiencing.
4) Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS) - The good thing about a Dragon Quest game is that you know exactly what you're going to get. Since I liked Dragon Quest IV and Dragon Quest VIII, it wasn't a surprise that I also liked this game. Dragon Quest V was another quality entry in the series and a worthy purchase for DQ fans.
3) Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP) - Not long ago, I was still considered a Star Ocean virgin. Then Square Enix decided to remake the first 2 games in the series for the PSP. In a manner of only a short few months, I got to play the first game, the second game as well as the 4th game (The Last Hope on 360) in the series. Now that I've played the game, I have to wonder why I had decided to pass on this game back when it came out on the original PlayStation. This is why I love remakes of classic RPGs on portable systems. Gives me a chance to go back and play the games I've missed in the past. Star Ocean: Second Evolution was a good classic RPG just like I like 'em.
2) Suikoden Tierkreis (Nintendo DS) - For me, Suikoden Tierkreis was the best portable RPG this year. I thought that for a DS game, it had great music, great graphics, lots of voice acting (rare for a DS game) and even plenty of anime cutscenes. I was hooked on the game from start to finish so that's a good sign for me nowadays since it doesn't happen that often. It's a shame that many people seem to have passed over this game because it's a quality RPG for the DS.
1) Dragon Age: Origins (Xbox 360) - Well, I could talk on and on about why I like Dragon Age but I won't bother. I think everybody has seen the reviews, seen the various RPG of the year awards it's been getting and everybody knows it's a quality RPG from one of the best RPG developper in the world. There's no need to say anything else. Dragon Age is just simply the best RPG you could get in 2009 and that's all there is to it.