RPGFan


Best Combat of 2013: Tales of Xillia

Best Combat of 2013:
Tales of Xillia (PS3)
Writeup by Derek Heemsbergen
There's a reason why the Tales series is hailed as the standard for action-based RPG combat: few of its peers provide such a high measure of customization and tactile feedback during battle. Xillia takes the series to new heights with a link system wherein two party members can combine their strengths for dynamic combo attacks. All six playable members of Xillia's cast control differently, allowing players tremendous variety in choosing how to approach each fight. Some games begin to drag as they approach their climax, but not Tales of Xillia — every battle is fast, frenetic, and enjoyable, right up until the credits roll. The excitement continues into a second playthrough from a different protagonist's perspective, and the "Grade Shop" opens up a variety of options for customizing combat even further. No other RPG got our fighting spirit going this year quite like Xillia did.


Runner-up: Path of Exile
Runner-up: Path of Exile (PC)
Writeup by John Tucker
The key to any good hack & slash game is its combat. After all, you spend 90% of your time clicking enemies (or mashing X on a console), so that part of the experience had better be fun. The other 10% of these games is about leveling up, since character progression impacts the combat so much. And Path of Exile manages to set the bar pretty high on both counts — its dizzying "skill tree" gives players an incredible amount of control over the way their character grows as they level up. So much control, in fact, that at least one RPGFan staffer has said that you should expect your first character to be a learning experience rather than a character you'll stick with forever. Whether that's your experience or not, we think PoE is a lot of fun, mostly due to its great combat, and it's free, so you've got nothing to lose!

Overall Awards
Traditional RPG Action RPG Graphic Adventure Strategy RPG Indie RPG MMORPG Port or Re-Release Downloadable Content (DLC) Best Combat Best Visuals Best Sound Best Story Best Non-RPG
And the winner is...
Best RPG of 2013
Editors' Picks
Andrew Barker Neal Chandran Derek Heemsbergen Abraham Ashton Liu John McCarroll Stephen Meyerink Kyle E. Miller Zackery Parkerson Mike Salbato Robert Steinman Brian Tomlinson John Tucker Dave Yeager
Reader's Choice
Reader's Choice Best RPG of 2013





Twitch Schedule & Status

Sunday, August 26
Septerra Core • 10am PDT/1pm EDT

Mondays
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth • 3pm PDT/6pm EDT

Tuesdays
Star Ocean: Second Evolution • 2:30pm PDT/5:30pm EDT
Persona 3 (CYOA) • 5:30pm PDT/8:30pm EDT

Wednesdays
Persona 3 (CYOA) • 5:30pm PDT/8:30pm EDT

Thursdays
Kingdom Hearts - Re:Chain of Memories • 2:30pm PDT/5:30pm EDT
Persona 3 (CYOA) • 5:30pm PDT/8:30pm EDT

Fridays
Final Fantasy IX • 3pm PDT/6pm EDT
Friday Super Variety Night • 6pm PDT/9pm EDT

Saturdays
Week in Review: Live Edition • 11am PDT/2pm EDT
Persona 3 (CYOA) • 5pm PDT/8pm EDT

RPGFan Hiring Drive: 2018 Turbo Edition EX

RPGFan Hiring Drive

Apply Today!
Alicemare Review

Alicemare

Review
Cosmic Star Heroine OST Review

Cosmic Star Heroine OST

Review
Retro Encounter 149

Retro Encounter 149

Podcast
Tiny Epic Quest Board Game Review

Tiny Epic Quest

Board Game Review