Features: RPGFan Music
Here you'll find our annual Music of the Year features, concert reviews, reports of special music-centric shows such as MAGFest, and interviews with several composers.
- RPGFan Music
- Games of the Year
RPGFan Music of the Year 2016
– Our fifth-annual Music of the Year includes our biggest-ever collection of Editors' Favorites, and a trio of special edition Rhythm Encounter episodes clocking in at over four hours total listening time!
Final Fantasy XV at Abbey Road
– One RPGFan Editor gets to hear Final Fantasy XV's music in person, and she's pretty awestruck.
RPGFan Music of the Year 2015
– A four day lovefest highlighting our favorite music from 2015, with three all-new podcasts, and nine RPGFan editors' personal favorite lists.
Zac Zinger Interview
– Zac fills us in on his career and the album Okami Henkyokushuu Vol.2 Jazz.
Peter McConnell Interview
– Composer on an impressive number of titles, from Grim Fandango, to the likes of Blizzard's Hearthstone, and Double Fine's Broken Age today.
Jillian Aversa Interview
– We attempt to maintain our awe while talking to the award-winning vocalist and songwriter about her history in - and love of - music, and much more.
Mikolai Stroinski on The Witcher 3
– We chat with composer Mikolai Stroinski about his career and his contributions to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
RPGFan Music of the Year 2014
– The music of 2014 in review. Includes editor's favorites, interviews, over 10 hours of podcasts, and more music than you knew released in 2014.
Thomas Böcker on Spielemusikkonzerte & Final Symphony
– Thomas Böcker is back, producing another symphonic album with the London Symphony Orchesta and Final Fantasy vetteran Nobuo Uematsu. We talk to him about his process, and much more.
MAGFest 13: Beep Documentary Crew Interview
– We sit down with some of the people behind the Beep documentary, and what goes into building a multi-platform documentary on the history of game music.
MAGFest 13 in Photos
– Nearly 150 photos from 2015's music celebration.
Interview with Keiichi Okabe
– We interview the composer of Drakengard 3 and NIER.
Music of the Year 2013
– A week-long celebration of the best game music of 2013, featuring staff picks, interviews, and a special edition of Rhythm Encounter.
RPGFan @ MAGFest 12
– Four of our editors take an enviable trip to the 12th Music and Games Festival.
The Artists and Music of Game Music Festival
– Interviews and album reviews coinciding with Loudr's first Game Music Festival.
Video Interview with Yuzo Koshiro
– Bradley scores an exclusive video interview with the composer of Actraiser and the Etrian Odyssey series.
Interview with Casey Ormond
– Stephen and Derek chat with Casey Ormond, arranger/performer of Piano Collections Final Fantasy XII.
RPGFan Music: A Conversation with Yoko Shimomura
– An interview with one of gaming's most prolific composers.
Video interview with Freebird Games' Kan Gao
– A video interview and live music presentation with the director and composer of To The Moon.
RPGFan's Music of the Year 2012
– Four editors share the best RPG music of 2012.
RPGFan Music - An Evening at VGO Boston
– We sat down for a chat with Hitoshi Sakimoto, Kinuyo Yamashita, Noriyuki Iwadare, and Yoko Shimomura at the Video Game Orchestra.
Interview with composer Sam Hulick
– We speak with Mass Effect composer Sam Hulick about his work on Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.
Memoro de la Ŝtono: An RPGFan's Perspective On Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
– Not a review, but a reflection twenty-five years in the making.
Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy Concert Review
– Dennis visits Boston and listens to some music.
Interview with Kan "Reives" Gao of Freebird Games
– We interview Kan Gao of Freebird Games about the indie scene, To the Moon, and what's in store for the future.
Video: Earthbound Papas Interview
– We interview Nobuo Uematsu and Earthbound Papas at Magfest 2012.
The Gray Matter of Adventure Gaming: An Interview With Jane Jensen and Robert Holmes
– We sit down with the designer and composer team for one of our favorite adventure games of 2011.
Interview with Thomas Boecker, Producer, WDR Orchestra Concerts
– Europe's regional hero for game music fans speaks to us about the concerts he's produced, including his most recent concert "Symphonic Fantasies," featuring prominent Square Enix titles.
Interview with Aaron Walz, Composer
– Indie game music from Aveyond and more, all composed by this young upstart. What's his take on the industry? And does he know more about Japanese VGM composers than us?
Interview with Yuki Sugiura, Composer
– The man behind some new Japanese game music, a goth-rock band, and a lot of hair.
PLAY! Interview with Jason Michael Paul
– Three years in, the PLAY! concert series is still going strong. Learn about the latest developments of the show, and possible future arrangements from some of your favorite RPGs, in this interview with the show's producer.
Interview with Jeremy Soule: zOMG! and More
– A seasoned veteran in the world of game music, the BAFTA-award-winning Jeremy Soule has a chat with us about his oldest and newest works.
Michiko Naruke's Wild Arms, From Console to Stage
– Contributor Jeriaska meets with Michiko Naruke at the "Press Start" concert in Japan. Much is revealed.
Interview with Yasunori Mitsuda
– Mitsuda shares his thoughts on Soma Bringer and international fame. Thanks to contributor Jeriaska.
Kentaro Hisai Interview
– Producer with Disney Interactive Studios for both "Spectrobes" titles gives us his take on the budding franchise.
Interview with Masaharu Iwata
– Sakimoto's partner in crime talks about Hyper Game Concert and more. Thanks to contributor Jeriaska.
Interview with Darumaya
– The band discusses their music for Shadow Hearts and the Hyper Game Music concert. Thanks to contributor Jeriaska.
Interview with Kumi Tanioka
– One of Square Enix's most versatile in-house composers, Ms. Tanioka, is interviewed by us. Thanks to contributor Jeriaska.
Play! A Video Game Symphony Reviews
– We watch a concert about video games and tell you about it!
Square Enix 2004 Press Conference and Dear Friends: Music from Final Fantasy
– RPGFan exposes the nitty-gritty of Square Enix's first press conference prior to E3 and the first Final Fantasy Concert in America.
Interview with Joe Down Studio
– Thanks to contributor Jeriaska, we get the 411 from this Hokkaido-based music recording studio.
Inon Zur Interview
– The composer of Icewind Dale II talks with RPGFan about his work in the industry and his feelings on said work.
Noriyuki Iwadare Interview
– The composer of the Grandia & Lunar series talks with RPGFan about Grandia Xtreme and more.
Stephen Kennedy Interview
– This interview was conducted with Stephen Kennedy, head of KFSS Studios, who is creating the American CD "Final Fantasy: Project Majestic Mix, a Tribute to Nobuo Uematsu."
- RPGFan Music
- Games of the Year