Features: Special Features
Whether you're looking for our special reports on your favorite title, roundtable discussions, in-depth articles, or simply a few Top 10 lists, you'll find it here.
- RPGFan Music
- Games of the Year
The 30 Best RPG Dads
– Celebrate Father's Day the RPGFan way, as we discuss two and a half dozen of our favorite dads in RPGs.
The 20 Best RPG Moms (and 2 Bad Ones)
– The staff muses on their favorite moms, adoptive moms, mother figures, and more in honor of Mother's Day!
Akitoshi Kawazu and the Non-Linearity of SaGa Frontier
– Kyle looks into how SaGa Frontier came to be, what it accomplished, and what motivated Kawazu as series mastermind.
Pokémon Y Nuzlocke Challenge
– Neal follows up his 2017 Pokémon Moon challenge, this time focusing on another 3DS entry, Pokémon Y.
Switch Port When? 45 Games We Want to See on Nintendo's Sometimes Portable Console
– The Nintendo Switch continues to be a home to more and more games, and ports from other consoles are a very notable part of its library. But there's always more on our collective wish lists, so here are some titles we think are perfect fodder for at home or on-the-go gaming.
The Real Worlds of Kingdom Hearts: A Travel Guide for History Buffs
– Features writer Kyle Seeley breaks down many iconic Disney and Kingdom Hearts worlds to look into their real-life inspirations.
Encyclopedic Observations: Final Fantasy XIV and the Future of Eorzea in Shadowbringers
– A lot has happened with the cast and world of Final Fantasy XIV in 5 years. Derek looks into what brought us to where we are now, and how events are looking to play out in Shadowbringers this summer.
60 Most Anticipated Games of 2019
– We've finished awarding 2018's top games, so it's time as always to look forward. Here are the 60 games for 2019 we're most excited about. Most should even release within the year this time!
Kingdom Hearts ~A Beginner's Guide~
– This is it! Read on for all you need to know about the complex series that is Kingdom Hearts, as we look forward to Kingdom Hearts III. Come on!
Toriyama's Toil: Exploring Three Decades of Art with Dragon Quest Illustrations
– Derek Heemsbergen takes us on a photo-enhanced journey through this densely-packed 240-page art book featuring over 500 pieces of Akira Toriyama's instantly-recognizable artwork.
Vast: The Crystal Caverns Review
– Join Bob Richardson on a grand quest with a knight, a dragon, a thief, a goblin clan, and a... cave?
RPG Winter Adventures
– Stave off the winter cold with... eh, more cold? Oh well, just embrace the chill and read on for some favorite RPG and visual novel winter settings.
RPGFan Founders Roundtable ~ An RPGFan 20th Anniversary Feature
– An extensive chat with the founders of RPGFan about the early days, how the site began, where it is now, and much more.
Top 20 PlayStation Vita Games
– The long-awaited successor to our Top 20 PSP RPGs list, focusing on Sony's beloved (by all but Sony) Vita handheld.
Embrace the Night: 13 Perfectly Spooky RPGs for Halloween
– Four RPGFan team members with a love of weird, scary, and offbeat (and often all three!) titles compile a list of games perfect to play this Halloween season.
Top 25 Nintendo 3DS Games
– The long-awaited successor to our Top 20 DS Games list, focusing on Nintendo's 3D-enabled handheld and its monstrously-long list of excellent titles.
History of the RPGFan Logo ~ An RPGFan 20th Anniversary Feature
– An extensive collection of every logo variation we've used over the years, including some we never did!
Bloodborne: The Card Game - The Hunter's Nightmare Review
– Welcome back to the Chalice Dungeons. Bob looks at the first expansion for Bloodborne: The Card Game.
One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows Review
– Bob looks at the first expansion to Asmadi Games' One Deck Dungeon.
Tiny Epic Quest: Board Game Review
– It's not the first time we've covered tabletop games here, but it's the first real review of a game!
Year of the Dog 2018: The Best RPG Dogs
– With so many good boys and girls in RPGs, it's hard to pick your favourites, but a bunch of us managed, and they're here to talk about why they love these RPGs dogs so much.
Adventures on the Side: Guidelines for RPG Sidequests
– Tina looks at the good, bad, and mediocre world of sidequests, putting two well-known RPGs under the microscope.
Origins Game Fair 2018
– Our annual look at our highlights from the long-running tabletop convention, Origins.
Our Favorite Features ~ An RPGFan 20th Anniversary Feature
– A collection of twenty of our favorite features from — you guessed it — 20 years of RPGFan.
This is Your Story: RPGFan Reader Tales ~ An RPGFan 20th Anniversary Feature
– A collection of stories from our readers and fans about what RPGFan has meant to all of you across our history.
20 Years of Milestone RPGs ~ An RPGFan 20th Anniversary Feature
– A collaborative feature on industry and personal gaming milestones: That means games that were industry milestones, or in some way, a personal milestone or revelation within the genre for our writers.
Hylian Highlights: Celebrating The Legend of Zelda
– A month-long celebration of some of our favorite things in Zelda. Which includes literal "things" like items, but also dungeons, characters, music, and more.
20 Years of Essential RPG Soundtracks ~ An RPGFan 20th Anniversary Feature
– We wouldn't dare choose a single album from each year of the last two decades and declare it "the best," but we definitely consider every single album on this list a must-listen.
20 Years, 20(ish) Still-Wanted Localizations ~ An RPGFan 20th Anniversary Feature
– This time, we look into 20 or so games that released in Japan during RPGFan's 20 years in existence, and why we wanted - okay, still want - them to see English releases.
The Best RPGs of 1998 ~ An RPGFan 20th Anniversary Feature
– Part one of our year-long anniversary feature series. We begin by looking back at our first year, 1998, and the best RPGs that debuted alongside RPGFan.
63 Most Anticipated Games of 2018
– It's easy to think that 2018 won't have much in store after the kinds of games we saw in 2017, but here are 63 reasons that assumption is incorrect.
Fabula Nova Anniversaris: Celebrating Thirty Years of Final Fantasy
– The biggest feature in RPGFan history, we celebrate Final Fantasy's history with a series of posts, articles, stories, and original artwork in several weeks worth of posts.
So You Want to Get Into Ys
– Not sure where to get started with the Ys series? Robert Fenner has you covered.
Favorite RPG Casts & Characters
– Nine RPGFan editors enter, and only one leaves alive! Oh, wait, the deathmatch is another feature... this one is all about some of our favorite casts and what makes them so endearing.
Bloodborne: The Card Game Review
– Bob Richardson digs into the tabletop card game based on From Software's gore-soaked classic.
10 2-Player Board Games You Should Play
– Luna Lee & Bob Richardson compile a list of ten unique, accessible, and fun board games for dynamic duos of all skill levels.
Origins Game Fair 2017
– We had so much fun at Origins 2016 that we had to go back. Come inside for three mini-features on the games and creators featured on the show floor.
Pokémon Moon Nuzlocke Challenge
– The answers to your burning questions lie within: How adorable is Litten? Is Alola a tropical paradise with a dark side? And what the heck is a Nuzlocke, anyway?
RPGFan's 40 Most Anticipated Games of 2017
– There's a veritable bounty of games coming to us even before spring hits in North America, and that doesn't even account for what's coming the rest of the year. Here, we list all that we're looking forward to playing in 2017.
Latest Update: 10/02/16
– In-depth analysis on a wide range of topics related to our favorite genre.
Best of the PlayStation Store: PSOne and PS2
– A three-part collaborative list in which we look at the 30 most essential PSOne and PS2 titles available on PS3, PSP, and PS Vita.
Pokémon GO Perspectives
– Pokémon GO isn't really a thing that can be reviewed, but we still have things to say about it.
Origins Game Fair 2016
– Bob and Luna check out the latest in board games... or are they RPGs? It's hard to tell some days.
The 30 Essential RPGs of 2010-2015
– Having reached the second half of the 2010s, we decided to come up with the short list of the games you should really find time for from the past five years.
Tetris Review (April Fool's 2016)
– Clearly the best RPG.
50 Most Anticipated Games of 2016
– With 2015 behind us, the staff looks forward to what's to come in 2016. Once again, there's no shortage of hopefulness in our hearts for these fifty titles.
The Best RPGs of All Time
– Thirteen RPGFan editors each chose their own "best RPGs ever" lists. There are as many similarities as there are differences. Whose tastes most align with yours?
Final Fantasy: Record Keeper Studio Visit
– Mike visits Square Enix and DeNA to check out the sights and sounds of Final Fantasy: Record Keeper! This description wasn't phoned in at all!
Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Studio Visit
– Stephen visits ArenaNet to check out the sights and sounds of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns!
50 Most Anticipated Games of 2015
– Our biggest list yet! Come see fifty titles that we're looking forward to in 2015.
Dragon Age: Inquisition First Hands-On Preview
Latest Update: 11/03/14
– Stephen spends over five hours with Dragon Age III.
Book Review: Quantum Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner Vol. 1
– Stephen reviews the novel retelling of Digital Devil Saga.
This is My Story: A Report From the Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Launch Event
– Inside Square Enix's launch event and art exhibition for the PS3 and PS Vita releases of Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster.
Most Anticipated Games of 2014
– Twenty-five games that make us crazy with excitement in 2014.
Top 20 DS Games
– Those dual screens deserve a rest.
Top 20 PSP RPGs
– A farewell to the Playstation Portable and all its RPGs.
– John takes a look at Cryptozoic's upcoming MMOTCG Hex: Shards of Fate.
Top 5 Underwhelming RPG Storylines
– Rob collects the most disappointing and underwhelming RPG narratives of all time.
Love is in Bloom: Our Favorite RPG Couples
– The RPGFan editors select their favorite pairs of lovers.
Top 5 Overrated PC RPGs
– Kyle lists the most overrated RPGs on the PC.
The Most Anticipated Games of 2013
– We gather the games we're most excited about in 2013.
The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Review
– Rob shares his thoughts on the Amano artbook and his nostalgia for classic Final Fantasies.
Top 10 Best Written RPGs
– Kyle chooses the best written RPGs of all time.
Top 10 Dumbest RPG Plot Twists
– Stephen rages for a while about his least favorite RPG plot twists.
The Best Male RPG Characters
– The staff selects the paragons of manhood in a variety of categories.
The Elder Scrolls Online Hands-on Event
– Kyle visits Zenimax Online to get the low-down on this 2013 MMORPG release.
RPGFan Complete Coverage: Mass Effect 3
– Game, DLC, and soundtrack reviews; media galleries; features; and more concerning BioWare's controversial finale.
The Evolution of Pokémon
– A look back, and a look ahead, at Nintendo's long-running monster-collecting franchise.
Origins Game Fair 2012 Special Feature
– Bob tells a tale of board games, iOS games and, for good measure, Felicia Day.
Tanto Cuore: Deck Building Game Spotlight
– Maids and Card Games together? Oh my!
RPGFan Complete Coverage: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
– Three reviews, a podcast, and a bunch of impressions for 38 Studios' first game!
Mass Effect Roundtable
– With Mass Effect 3 around the corner, we discuss what BioWare's sci-fi epic means to each of us.
Paragon vs. Renegade: The Morality of Choice
– Editors explore their roles in games and what they mean.
RPGFan Complete Coverage: To The Moon
– All our coverage in one place for 2011's little indie gem that could.
RPGFan's Most Anticipated Games 2012
– The twelve games we're most looking forward to this year.
Super Dungeon Explore: Board Game Spotlight
– John's brother William takes a look at a board game that JRPG fans just might love.
The Big Bosses of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
– Kyle E. Miller hits San Francisco to check out Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and its big bosses.
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny Roundtable
– RPGFan participates in a roundtable discussion about Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny - we get plenty of questions answered.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Studio Visit
– Editor John McCarroll visits the studio to get some quality hands-on time with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.
RPGs as Therapy
– Five RPGFan editors discuss the positive power of RPGs in their life.
RPGFan Complete Coverage: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
– One handy, stylish page to access all of our coverage and features for Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Top 20 RPGs of the 90s
– Our roundup of the best RPGs from the 1990s, which contained the entirety of the 16-bit era and the beginning of the 32-bit era.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review Event
– An advance look at Square Enix's Deus Ex: Human Revolution and chats with the developers at the Eidos Montréal offices.
RPGFan's Best (and Worst) Female RPG Characters
– Editors pick their top ten favorite female RPG characters, along with their five worst and three non-RPG honorable mentions.
RPGFan's Best (and Worst) Final Fantasy Games
– Editors pick their top five, three worst, and three best sub-series of Final Fantasy.
RPGFan's iOS Roundtable
– Editors discuss the present and future of the iOS as a gaming platform.
RPGFan's Most Anticipated RPGs of 2011
– The title probably speaks for itself.
– A closer look at Maxis's online action-RPG.
Further Exploration: RPGFan's Dream Sequels, Prequels & Reboots
– Eleven editor's visions of how various game worlds and stories could be further explored in the future.
Top 20 RPGs of the Last Decade
– Our doozy of a feature!
– A look at this bizarro (in a good way) title from Hothead Games.
Top 10 MMORPG Games of All Time
– Editor Adam Tingle lists his favorite Top 10 MMORPGs.
DOFUS 2.0 Media Tour
– French, strategy-based, graphically-upgraded MMORPG. Need we say more? If so, read this article.
Atlantica Online Media Tour
– Celebrating the MMO's one year anniversary.
Nostalgia Exclusive Character Reveals
– Check out the main playable characters from Ignition Entertainment's upcoming DS RPG.
Final Fantasy XI: A Crystalline Prophecy Media Tour
– Showcasing all content updates through April 2009, including the new downloadable mini-expansion.
Top 10 RPGs of the 6th Generation Consoles
– A look back at the best RPGs of the 6th generation of consoles which includes the PlayStation 2, Dreamcast, Xbox and GameCube.
ntreev Media Tour
– MMORPGs "Grand Chase" and "Trickster Online" both broken down and served to you in small, digestible portions. Enjoy!
Final Fantasy XI Fan Festival 2008
– A comprehensive report of the events that took place during this year's Fan Fest.
La Tale Media Tour
– Looks like Maple Story needs to make room for another 2D, side-scrolling MMORPG. OGPlanet gives us a look at their newly-released MMO "La Tale."
Silkroad Online Media Tour
– Of all the free-to-play MMOs coming from Korea, what sets this one apart? Check out our media tour to find out.
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess Media Tour
– Showcasing all content updates through June 2008, and speculating on the future of the MMO.
RPGFan Roundtable 2007
– In this four-part series, Western and Eastern RPGs face off in a fight to the death! Well, sort of.
Dark Age of Camelot: The Roundtable 2006
– Mythic EA's MMO is in its fifth year, and we find out how it's still going strong.
MageKnight: Apocalypse Developer Chat
– Namco Bandai helps us lay down the law on their upcoming PC title.
Square Enix Press Conference 2006
– Square Enix talks next and current-gen.
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Premiere Event
– Taking a look at the only time Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children will play in a theatre.
Dark Age of Camelot: The Roundtable
– Going deeper into Darkness Falls.
Fable: The Lost Chapters Tour
– Lionhead Studios showcases the expansion to Fable.
Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia Media Tour
– RPGFan takes a stroll through Vana'diel's new areas.
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age Community Day
– RPGFan visits Electronic Arts to take a look at Lord of the Rings: The Third Age.
Square Enix 2004 Press Conference and Dear Friends: Music from Final Fantasy
– RPGFan exposes the nitty-gritty of Square Enix's first press conference prior to E3 and the first Final Fantasy Concert in America.
Final Fantasy XI: Rise of the Zilart Media Tour & Impressions
– RPGFan takes a trip through some of the more exotic locations of Square Enix's first expansion to FFXI.
Anarchy Online: Shadowlands Media Tour
– Three RPGFan editors go wild in Funcom's ground breaking expansion to their acclaimed MMORPG.
Final Fantasy XI Media Tour & Impressions
– Square Enix takes RPGFan for a romp through the PC version of their upcoming MMORPG.
EverQuest Online Adventures Event
– RPGFan visits Sony Online Entertainment for a closer look at their first PS2 MMORPG as well as the latest addition EverQuest for the PC.
The History of RPGFan, 1997-2002
– The story behind how RPGFan came to be is a story that bares telling. Relive the ups and downs of the website in this complete history of the website since its inception in 1997.
- RPGFan Music
- Games of the Year