CGDA Spotlight Awards Nominees
Check out the nominations for this years CGDA Spotlight Awards which will be held at the Game Developers Conference.
For Immediate Release
March 4, 1999
CGDA ANNOUNCES SPOTLIGHT NOMINEES
Top PC and Console Titles Win Placements on This Year’s Spotlight Ballot
(GLENDALE, CA)—The Computer Game Developers’ Association (CGDA), a non-profit association established to foster the creation of a worldwide game development community, announced this year’s Spotlight Awards nominees today. The annual event, which is one of the industry’s most celebrated award ceremonies, will honor the impressive skills of these nominees on March 17 in San Jose.
"We are delighted to have been able to attract some substantial corporate sponsorship this year," said Robin Matthews, member of the board of directors, CGDA, chairman of the Spotlight Awards. "These sponsors have shown genuine vision in actively supporting the recognition of the very best this industry has to offer."
Games are nominated based on outstanding technical or creative innovation and the categories encompass all areas of game design and development. A nominating committee creates an initial list of titles, which are then voted down to the official ballot entries by the CGDA members. Additionally, one individual will receive the most prestigious of all honors – the lifetime achievement award, which will be announced the evening of the awards show.
"1998 has been an incredible year for the Interactive Entertainment industry, so we are honored to be nominated for the Spotlight Awards," said Bill Roper, spokesperson for Blizzard Entertainment whose product, StarCraft, has been nominated in three Spotlight catagories. "To be recognized by our peers as one of the year’s highest caliber games is truly appreciated by the entire Blizzard team."
Attendees at the Game Developers Conference will also vote on a Best of Show award from the nominees’ products, which will be on display in the Spotlight Pavilion, Booth #1628. The winner will be announced at the awards ceremony. The actual Spotlight Awards are once again being supplied by Mole-Richardson, Hollywood’s premier set lighting supplier.
This year’s nominees include the following:
1. Best Use of Graphics - Half Life, Unreal, Trespasser, Grim Fandango, Thief: The Dark Project, Parasite Eve.
2. Most Innovative Game Design - Thief: The Dark Project, Rainbow Six, Metal Gear Solid, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Commandos, Baldur’s Gate, Pokemon, Battlezone, Army Men.
3. Best Use of Audio - Half Life, Baldur’s Gate, Thief: The Dark Project, Falcon 4.0, Unreal, Might and Magic VI, NHL 99 (PC).
4. Best AI (Artificial Intelligence) - Half Life, Thief: The Dark Project, Creatures 2, Operational Art of War, Warlords III: Darklords Rising.
5. Best Children’s Title - Barbie’s Photo Designer, Lego Creator, Rugrats Movie Activity Challenge, Blue’s ABC Time Activities, Play with the Teletubbies, Droidworks, Bug’s Life Active Play, Spyro the Dragon, Banjo Kazooie.
6. Best Trivia, Puzzle or Classic Game - Smart Games – Puzzle Challenge 3, Chessmaster 6000, Wheel of Fortune, Clue: Murder at Boddy Mansion, You Don’t Know Jack 4: The Ride.
7. Best Simulation - Falcon 4.0, European Air War, Need for Speed 3, Gran Turismo, F1 Racing Simulation, Monaco Grand Prix Racing 2, Motocross Madness, Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator.
8. Best Strategy/Wargame - StarCraft, West Front, Operational Art of War, Rainbow Six, Settlers III, Battlezone, Railroad Tycoon 2, Caesar III, Final Fantasy Tactics.
9. Best Adventure/RPG - Baldur’s Gate, Fallout 2, Might and Magic VI, Grim Fandango, Sanitarium, Redguard: Elder Scrolls Adventures, Xenogears.
10. Best Sports Title - NBA Live 1999, Tiger Woods Golf, NHL 99 (PC), International Superstar Soccer 2, NFL Blitz, NFL Quarterback Club 99, Links LS 99, World Cup 98, NCAA Football 99, FIFA Soccer 99.
11. Best Action Game - Half Life, Rainbow Six, Metal Gear Solid, Shogo, Battlezone, Heretic II, Tekken 3, Descent Freespace, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil.
12. Best Multiplayer Game - Half Life, Rainbow Six, StarCraft, Starsiege – Tribes, Fireteam.
13. Best PC Game - Rainbow Six, Half Life, StarCraft, Thief: The Dark Project, Baldur’s Gate.
14. Best Console Game - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Need for Speed 3, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, NFL Blitz, Spyro the Dragon.
About CGDA The Computer Game Developers’ Association is a non-profit association established by game developers to foster the creation of a worldwide game development community. CGDA’s main objective is to maintain the integrity of the interactive entertainment industry and recognize the achievements of its peers through their annual Spotlight Awards ceremony, which is produced in conjunction with the Game Developers Conference. For more information on CGDA or the spotlight Awards, please visit www.cgda.org or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
March 5th, 1999
Game Developer's Conference