RPGFan


Bandai Namco and SCE Set up Joint Venture
01.24.07 - 6:49 PM

Bandai Namco Games and Sony Computer Entertainment have agreed to set up a joint venture named Cellius. As the company's name suggests, the new entity will focus on utilizing the PlayStation 3's CELL Broadband Engine to create new "surprising" entertainment content. Today's announcement, however, only specifically mentioned the development, sale and distribution of voice, movie, and computer software. Japanese commentators speculate that with the creation of Cellius, Sony Computer Entertainment also plans to strengthen its ties with (game) software makers. That being said, the company's applications will not only target Sony Computer Entertainment's next-gen hardware, but also other (yet-to-be-released) products equipped with the CELL processor.

Reportedly, the idea for Cellius' foundation came up during a meeting of executives from Bandai Namco Games and Sony Computer Entertainment last summer. 51% of the company's capital will come from Bandai Namco Games, with SCE providing the remaining 49%. Cellius' president will be Isao Nakamura. Nakamura has previously worked on Bandai Namco's MotoGP series. The company's three directors are: Shin Unozawa, Bandai Namco Games executive vice president; Sony Computer Entertainment chairman and CEO Ken Kutaragi; and Akira Satou, Sony Computer Entertainment vice chairman.


Back
Chris Winkler





Coming Up on Twitch

Chrono Cross
All Week • 5:00pm PDT/8:00pm EDT

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Aug 28 • 9:00am PDT/12:00pm EDT

Skies of Arcadia Continues!
Every Monday • 5:00pm PDT/8:00pm EDT

Star Wars: KotOR Continues!
Every Tuesday • 10:00am PDT/1:00pm EDT

Broken Age Continues!
Every Thursday • 5:00pm PDT/8:00pm EDT

Featured Content
Rhythm Encounter Episode 27: Foliage Ocean in St. Louis
Rhythm Encounter Episode 27: Foliage Ocean in St. Louis
Podcast
Random Encounter Episode 115: The Compliment Sandwich
Random Encounter Episode 115: The Compliment Sandwich
Podcast
Retro Encounter Bonus Round: Essential Ten Part 1
Retro Encounter Bonus Round: Essential Ten Part 1
Podcast
Neverwinter
Neverwinter
Review
Bra★Bra Final Fantasy Brass de Bravo 2 Review
Bra★Bra Final Fantasy Brass de Bravo 2
Review
Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive
Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive "Review"
Editorial
RSS Feeds & More
Complete Feed
Reviews Feed
Media Feed
Random Encounter
Rhythm Encounter
Retro Encounter