The Witcher 2 Version 2.0 Out TodayA look at what's in CD Projekt RED's major update.09.29.11 - 3:20 AM
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
has been almost universally praised since its May release and now it's time to get excited again. If you're connected to the internet, later today you'll be able to download the newest patch for the game. Version 2.0 will include a new tutorial along with two new gameplay modes. The first of these is a new difficulty level called 'Dark Mode.' It will apparently be so difficult that even enemies that were previously easy to defeat will now pose a problem. Included are a few new outfits for Geralt too; the Blasphemer, the Oathbreaker and Kinslayer clothes.
The second mode is the Arena. Geralt will face off against a wide variety of enemies from the game in gladiatorial combat. By winning you can gain gold, new items, and more. You can even recruit allies to give you a hand in this mode. There will be an online leaderboard too, so you can compare scores with your friends.
The new and improved tutorial has Geralt helping Bolton, an injured soldier, in a series of missions. You will learn basic combat skills and alchemy, and at the end, the tutorial will suggest a difficulty setting for you.
Lastly, there's a number of minor bug fixes and changes, which have been listed below.
- Improved targeting system.
- Unlimited parrying.
- Improved responsiveness when controlling Signs, parrying or attacking.
- Geralt's attack can no longer be interrupted by enemies.
- Enemies can't kick Geralt when he's already down.
- Weapon-to-target distance animations have been corrected.
- Casting several bombs does not freeze player input.
- Aspect ratio setting independent of resolution.
- Disk space for patching is reduced.
- Loading The Witcher saves no longer crashes your game.
- More enemies during the Loc Muinne quest.
- Visual effects for Adrenaline no longer disappear as quickly.
- Archers draw swords quicker when Geralt appears.
- Mages do not cast shield spells when daggers are thrown at them.
- Gameplay is paused during Geralt's finishing move in combat.
- Chapter 2 Troll can now be attacked.
- Improved dagger casting.
- The Letho exploit was removed.
- Insane difficulty game loading issues have been fixed.
- Improved camera control.
- Adjustments made to Mutagen statistics.
- Junk filter works properly.
- Corrections made to Mini-Map during Chapter 1.
- Audio levels adjusted throughout the game.
- Animation adjustments made to characters.
- Adjustments to character lip-syncing throughout the game.
Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 version of The Witcher 2 is still set for sometime in early 2012.