Dragon Quest X Online Beta DetailsHow do you apply? Spoiler: Don't get excited unless you live in Japan.11.07.11 - 11:23 PM
As promised, Square Enix have revealed details and instructions for those who want to be beta testers for the upcoming online Wii and Wii U title Dragon Quest X Online
. A new website
has been opened specifically for the beta testers and includes a FAQ
. Needless to say, it's all in Japanese.
Luckily, admission is not based on first-apply-first-in and Square Enix will continue to accept applications even after the beta starts. If you're an aspiring beta tester, you'll need to fulfil the following requirements:
- You must actively test the game and report bugs.
- You must own a Wii and a method of connecting Wii to the internet.
- You must have a Square Enix Members account.
- You must live in Japan. If you have an address outside of Japan, you cannot apply.
Plus, if you're lucky enough to be a part of the beta, you're not allowed to tell other people about the beta or post images or movies online. This is normal of a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).
If you're accepted for the beta, a special kit that includes the beta disk, an instruction manual, and a Wii USB memory card will be delivered to you. Reportedly, the USB memory is about 16 gigabytes (possibly more), but this hasn't been confirmed yet.
We don't know exactly what you'll be able to experience in the beta yet, but we do know the following:
- You can create a character that is from any of the five tribes. Everyone starts at the same area, but you can explore from there.
- You will be able to experience some of the prologue and fight a number of the bosses. However, you won't be able to progress far in the story.
- The character you create and play in the beta will not be usable in the final release of the game.
- Beta testers will get a special Drackey cap as a bonus which will be carried over to their retail account (assuming they buy the game).
Dragon Quest X Online for the Wii is due out in Japan next year, with its Wii U version not yet dated.