Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Launching On PS3 And PC August 27You heard right, both platforms! Plus Collector's Editions and pre-order bonuses.05.23.13 - 11:28 AM
MMORPG fans will be pleased to know that the revamped version of Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIV
will be launching on both PCs and PlayStation 3s on August 27, 2013.
Rebuilt from the ground up after an admittedly rocky launch, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will be launching at a slightly lower price point than most MMORPGs - $29.99 for PC and $39.99 for PlayStation 3. There's still a subscription attached to FFXIV, starting at $12.99 per month.
Additionally, hardcore fans may want to take a look at the Collector's Edition of A Realm Reborn, available exclusively from the Square Enix Store. It's got a fair amount of content:
- Collector's box designed by Yoshitaka Amano, legendary Final Fantasy artist
- 80-page "Art of Eorzea" hardcover art book featuring never-before-seen concept art
- "The Waning of the Sixth Sun," a special bonus video disc that takes a cinematic look at the events that led up to the realm being reborn
- "Sounds of Eorzea" album that features musical scores by renowned Final Fantasy series composers
- Five collectable character art cards
- A Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn-branded security token to secure user accounts
- In-game bonus items: Helm of Light, Baby Behemoth Minion, Coeurl Mount and Behemoth Barding
All of this comes at a slightly steeper price - $69.99 for PC gamers and $79.99 for PlayStation 3 enthusiasts. Owners of original accounts don't need to worry though. You'll be able to play using your existing credentials - unless you want the Collector's Edition content, of course.
Pre-order bonuses are also available for both editions, giving early access to the game, plus in-game items including a Cait Sity vanity pet and a Mog Cap headgear.
"It gives me great pleasure to announce the release date of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn," said director Naoki Yoshida. "It has been a long road from the game's inception to the beta, but thanks to your fervent support and invaluable feedback, the world of Eorzea will soon complete its journey of rebirth. We have endeavored to make the game affordable so that adventurers will be able to experience the vibrant world of Eorzea. We have also prepared a collector's edition version of the game, which includes a veritable assortment of premium items. The new adventure begins on August 27, 2013. I hope to see you all then!"
For a look into Final Fantasy XIV's journey to where it is now, be sure to check out Stephen Harris' in-depth review here. Keep your eyes peeled to RPGFan as well, since we'll be checking out A Realm Reborn at this year's E3.