|Nihon Falcom Plans a New Ys Title and More Trails of Cold Steel in Financial ReportMay we please have an English release for Trails of Cold Steel III and IV?11.10.18 - 12:43 AM
Nihon Falcom is celebrating a very successful year with several exciting plans, including a new Ys game!
Earning a 15.6% increase in sales and 30% increase in profit for their 2018 fiscal year, Nihon Falcom listed the following plans for 2019 in their financial report (as translated by RPG Site):
- The year 2019 will mark the 15th anniversary of the Trails series.
- The Trails of Cold Steel series has surpassed 1.5 million copies in overall sales, and we will expand the sales even further.
- We plan to expand the Trails of Cold Steel series in not only Japan but also North America, Europe, and Asia.
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana has surpassed 500 thousand copies in overall sales, and we will continue to expand it by releasing a year-end exclusive package among others.
- A number of titles, including a brand-new title of the action RPG series Ys - which had its 30th anniversary last year - are planned to be released for consoles.
- We will continue to proactively pursue multi-platform expansions of content owned by Falcom which will be applied worldwide.
- We will further enhance digital sales which has had a remarkable growth. This also includes DLC.
- As for mobile apps that are planned to be released in Asia like Trails of the Star and Ys: The Five Great Dragons of Artago, first of all they are being planned to be released in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau in order.
Along with their plans to release a new Ys title, it's interesting to note their intention to further localize games in the Trails of Cold Steel series. XSEED released the first two games on PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PC, with plans to port them to PlayStation 4 next year. You can check out our reviews for the first and second games.
The last Ys title to release was Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. We received the title in the West on PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, PC, and Nintendo Switch courtesy of NIS America. The financial report mentions an exclusive package of the game is in the works, though it is uncertain if this is a Japan only product. You can check out our original review here or check our more recent Switch review here.
Congrats on a successful year, Nihon Falcom! The next fiscal year ends September 2019; hopefully we'll see some of these titles by then! Check back at RPGFan as we learn more about Nihon Falcom's projects for 2019.