Being a detective is about to get more challenging. Developer and publisher ZA/UM released a new update for Disco Elysium to provide widescreen support and an all new Hardcore Mode.
What does Hardcore Mode entail? Along with lower chances of success, the new mode provides the following changes:
- You will fail more – The difficulty of every Check goes up, bringing down your chances of success. Solving this case without being a Total Disaster Cop is even harder than normal.
- You’re going to be poorer – You’ll have even less money, meaning there’s less for you to pick up. Better get used to picking up every scrap you can find…
- Prices have gone up — Pharmaceutical prices have gone up, which means failing costs you even more and they don’t heal you as much.
- You’ll need to turn to the hard stuff — Booze and cigarettes are going to help you a lot, sweet ciggys clearing your head and extra drink to build courage will become more of a necessity on this playthrough.
- Most treasured possessions — The few possessions you do have become more important, make sure to treasure what you have!
- You’ll have to think more carefully — The Thought Cabinet debuffs are more painful when you’re already liable to fail. One the flip side, the bonuses thoughts offer might push you down paths you wouldn’t otherwise take.
- You’ll level up faster — Failing builds character. You’ll gain extra token amounts of XP every time you finish a task and you’ll level faster and higher, if only marginally.
Furthermore, Disco Elysium is currently on sale as part of Steam’s Lunar New Year Sale for 20% off. The game’s DLC, which includes the soundtrack and artbook, are also 20% off.
Disco Elysium is now available on PC. You can check out our glowing review, and the several categories it took home awards in our 2019 Games of the Year.