Update, June 23rd:
Well hey, that came together quicker than expected. I’ve made some small but helpful changes to our layout, so for anyone curious, here’s a quick list:
- Most of our text headings across the site were not proper headings since our relaunch. We spent so much time just trying to get the site to work by our deadline last summer that this slipped by. Now all our headings (so, page titles, subheaders inside articles, etc) are properly defined. For most of you, this may not make a huge difference. But this makes us more search engine-friendly, and most importantly, proper structure makes the site more accessible for screen readers.
- As you may notice, I’ve also visually updated some headers to be larger and bolder. This helps differentiate headings more easily at a glance.
- I updated our templates so that some parts of the site will load smaller images by default, which should help improve load times.
- All links now have an underline effect on hover. Since launch, we’ve featured green links that turn purple when moused over, but I wanted something more friendly for anyone who may have trouble seeing a simple color change. When it comes to accessibility, relying only on a single metric like color isn’t the most inclusive, so I wanted to add a second.
- I fixed a minor display issue with the thumbnails on the Features page.
All told, these may seem like minor changes, but they’re still areas I wanted us to improve on, even if it meant combing through a couple dozen files and writing new CSS. In many ways, there won’t even be a visible difference for some of this, but my hope is that it still makes things easier for people to browse the site.
Lastly, I have cleared our server-side cache of any old files, but if you’re seeing any oddities when browsing—small text on the front page, or weird spacing, etc—please clear your browser’s cache and you’ll be able to see things correctly.
Thank you for reading, and I hope this helps some of our readers! And while I’m here, I will mention that, yes, our long-awaited console filtering on Games and Reviews pages is still in the works. That project is not personally mine, so I can’t promise a launch date today, but I hope to have news to share soon, when we can get it working the way it needs to.
This week, you may temporarily see some font sizes or other layout oddities. We’re polishing some code but there will be a transition period that we hope to keep as short as possible!
We will update this post when done, and recommend that people clear their browser’s cache in case anything still looks odd.
Thank you in advance for your patience!