Now, this looks promising! During the Future Games Show, we got to see a cyberpunk-themed FPS/RPG hybrid titled Beyond Sunset. Inspired by classics such as Doom and Deus Ex (and even made with GZDoom, which is based on the original Doom engine), this game comes to us courtesy of developer Metacorp, and it looks seriously impressive. You can deflect bullets with your katana! How cool is that?
Check out a trailer for Beyond Sunset below!
Sunset City, 20XX. You wake up in a strange facility. Everything wants you dead.
You only know your name. Lucy. Your instincts and abilities kick in. Lightning-fast reactions. Innate combat skills. Armed with a katana and a variety of firearms, you need to survive and find some answers.
Was your Future Games Show presentation real? What is real? A new RPG/shooter made using a port of the original Doom engine? Answers lie below.
What is Beyond Sunset?
• FLUID MOVEMENT: High-octane first-person action with advanced movements for dashing, sliding and other acrobatics.
• RPG ELEMENTS: Interact with NPCs, learn the lore of Sunset City, take side missions and upgrade your abilities.
• LO-FI AESTHETIC: Inspired by classic first-person shooters, from Doom to Duke Nukem 3D to Blood.
• SYNTHWAVE VIBE: Hear an original vaporwave soundtrack composed by synthwave legend Karl Vincent.
• MOD SUPPORT: Create and share your own levels, weapons and more with richly-featured free and open-source tools.
If this title sounds appealing to you, discerning RPG fan, be sure to check out the game’s Steam page and add it to your wishlist! There’s also a playable demo you can try.
Beyond Sunset will come out for Windows and macOS sometime in Summer 2023. Stay tuned to RPGFan for more information on your favorite games!