Red Hook Studios has announced that Darkest Dungeon II is set to release its 1.0 build on May 8th for PC on Steam and the Epic Games Store. This release will end its initial run in Early Access since October 2021. Check out a trailer for the title below!
Following in the grim tone of its predecessor, Darkest Dungeon II sets players on a perilous caravan journey where they must contend against an ancient eldritch enmity with the help of 12 makeshift heroes. During this journey, they will make their way across five dangerous regions, contesting in brutal turn-based combat designed to wear them down. The chosen heroes will either succeed or perish in the attempt, leaving 12 new heroes to take up the reigns and venture once more.
Players have an opportunity to try out a demo of Darkest Dungeon II courtesy of the latest Steam Next Fest. The demo should give players access to the four starting heroes through two choosable regions: the city-like Sprawl or the fetid farms of Foetor. Unfortunately, progress made in the demo will not transfer to the title’s full release. A summary of what players might further expect in Darkest Dungeon II lies below:
- Roguelike Runs, Each With Its Own Emerging Story: Each expedition lasts from 30 minutes to several hours. Even an untimely end will arm you with resources that can be spent to improve your next journey.
- Unforgettable Heroes: Uncover and experience the tragic origin stories of each hero. Unlock their full potential via new skills, paths, items, and more.
- The Altar of Hope: Engage with a massive system of upgrades and boons that opens up new strategies for each expedition. Choose what’s important to you as you formulate your assaults on the Mountain.
- The Affinity System: As travels progress, heroes bond with each other or develop animosity, leading to desperately needed combat synergies or journey-ending dysfunction. Manage their stress and interaction to keep the team together until the bitter end.
- Nightmarish Environs: From the burning Sprawl to the diseased Foetor, the long road to the Mountain will challenge your strategies and your endurance. Explore five distinct regions, each with their own unique creatures and challenges.
Personally, I’ve been looking forward to the eventual full release of Darkest Dungeon II since its initial announcement in 2019. As someone who has put at least 100 hours into Darkest Dungeon across four different gaming platforms, the thought of a new journey to undertake in its sequel is equal parts exciting and apprehensive. I imagine I’m not the only one who feels that way. In any case, Darkest Dungeon II is shaping up to be a replete roguelike experience for fans and newcomers to the franchise upon its release on May 8th.
Stay tuned to RPGFan for all news RPG!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.