Solo developer ginolabo and publisher Shueisha Games have announced that Soulvars will be releasing on June 27th for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4/5, Xbox One, Series X|S, and PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store. Soulvars is a turn-based RPG with deckbuilding elements and retro style pixel-based graphics inspired by classic Japanese RPGs.
Originally released on iOS and Android in January 2022, Soulvars quickly rose to the top of the store rankings for both paid RPGs and paid games in Japan and continues to review very highly on both platforms. The game is being optimized to work with bigger screens and controller support, and we’re promised seamless and dynamic gameplay.
For those unfamiliar, Shueisha is the publishing company for Weekly Shounen Jump, among other manga publications. Thanks to ginolabo’s partnership with their new gaming branch, Shiro Usasaki, mangaka and artist of Act-Age, is providing the key art and in-game character illustrations for Soulvars.
Please see below for full game details via Shueisha Games:
- Classic JRPG nostalgia with a modern twist – Players immerse themselves in a game that blends the best of two worlds: stylish pixel art animations and dynamic, turn-based tactical planning.
- Deckbuilding combat system – Collect gear to expand your Soulbits – cards for your hand – and personalize your deck, then mix and match various Soulbits to uncover new attacks and unlock over 100 different Arts and Abilities. Hunt for rare and powerful gear by defeating unique Dominators on your journey to mastering the ultimate Arts!
- Party-based combat – Each enemy is a puzzle to solve, a challenge to overcome! Customize your party to deal with different enemy types, identify their weaknesses and combine Soulbit actions to unleash over 200 powerful finishing moves!
- Compelling narrative – Through Yakumo and his fellow Soulbears, uncover the dangers of unchecked technology, the origins of the “DDO” (Dominator Disposal Organization), and the conspiracies behind the emergence of the Dominators.
- Localized in 12 languages – Both interface and subtitles are available in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Hindi so players worldwide can enjoy this action-packed adventure.
There’s also a teaser gameplay trailer available for your viewing pleasure:
You can also check out the official website for additional information!
I’m definitely tempted to check Soulvars out. I personally love sprite-based graphics and deckbuilding games are always intriguing to me. This isn’t exactly a brand new game since it was released on phones last year, but it’s definitely going to see a much wider audience being released on all the modern consoles. I certainly hadn’t heard of it before this!
Please continue staying tuned to RPGFan for all your RPG needs!